• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
A video of the view 7 tackle on joeys 2 has gone viral on tik tok. 137k views in only 14 hours.
Saw that. He is an extremely impressive player considering his size. I would argue the fittest player in the comp after watching him in a few games.

On another note, I think it is great that schools are posting highlights of their games online now. I believe that if we can build up more recognition for these boys on a national stage via the internet we may see more AAGPS boys running around the pro leagues. I believe there is a lot more hype surrounding the GPS schools which helps the boys go to the next level. I believe it is mostly due to their online presence as I don’t think there is much difference between the quality of both comps, just their comp/schools are recognised by a wider range of people helping the boys make it pro. Thoughts?

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)
Saw that. He is an extremely impressive player considering his size. I would argue the fittest player in the comp after watching him in a few games.

On another note, I think it is great that schools are posting highlights of their games online now. I believe that if we can build up more recognition for these boys on a national stage via the internet we may see more AAGPS boys running around the pro leagues. I believe there is a lot more hype surrounding the GPS schools which helps the boys go to the next level. I believe it is mostly due to their online presence as I don’t think there is much difference between the quality of both comps, just their comp/schools are recognised by a wider range of people helping the boys make it pro. Thoughts?
The best CAS teams are a match for the GPS teams but the depth is far greater in GPS (evident this year where the main comp is a genuine 5 horse race). The other factor is that the best CAS lads tend to be destined for the NRL before they even join their CAS school team. Consider how much stronger the CAS team would have been if their best player (by a long way) was available to play for the CAS team instead of playing league for Tonga......GPS of course isn't pure and loses a few to league as well, these players tend to come from 1 or 2 schools in particular (which coincidentally are serial under-performers vs expectations) however the GPS teams still manage to maintain far greater depth across the board.

WLF3

Darby Loudon (17)
The best CAS teams are a match for the GPS teams but the depth is far greater in GPS (evident this year where the main comp is a genuine 5 horse race). The other factor is that the best CAS lads tend to be destined for the NRL before they even join their CAS school team. Consider how much stronger the CAS team would have been if their best player (by a long way) was available to play for the CAS team instead of playing league for Tonga......GPS of course isn't pure and loses a few to league as well, these players tend to come from 1 or 2 schools in particular (which coincidentally are serial under-performers vs expectations) however the GPS teams still manage to maintain far greater depth across the board.
OS, A bit of a generalization here imo.

Yes the GPS schools definitely have more teams in most schools compared to the CAS schools, no question.
I wouldn't call a 5 horse race, great depth in terms of a comp, eg Shute shield team numbers, other comps etc , 5/6 is in fact small.

The best CAS lads don't all go to league, many are in the Aussie senior Rugby squads, and it comes across that the CAS essentially relies on buy-ins from outside to have good players, untrue, there is plenty of home grown talent.

As you mentioned, the GPS also has boys who go to league.

In defense of both associations I think it's fair to say that League has the funds, Union does not.
I think you would see a very different outcome if Union had competitive funds.

By GPS I was referring to the Queensland competition and AAGPS for the NSW.

rugboy

Bob Loudon (25)
OS I think you are wide of the mark with the presumption "that the best CAS lads tend to be destined for the NRL before they even join their CAS school team" I'm interested in who has played CAS and now is in the NRL besides Connor Watson who attended Knox (Katoa is obviously destined for it). As far as I am aware far more players have left GPS schools for the NRL than CAS. Even then it is a small number comparatively over the years. Scots - Crichton, B Smith, Newington - Moeroa, Milne, Lussick, Murray, Kula, Weekes, Kings - Sua'ali'i, Penisini, Daniel Conn. Riverview - Darcy Lussick, Joeys - T Wright, C O'Kane.

Rudderless also noted back on page 67 I think that 10 of the NSW CIS Rugby League 18s team are from GPS. 2 are from CAS

Last edited:

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
OS I think you are wide of the mark with the presumption "that the best CAS lads tend to be destined for the NRL before they even join their CAS school team" I'm interested in who has played CAS and now is in the NRL besides Connor Watson who attended Knox (Katoa is obviously destined for it). As far as I am aware far more players have left GPS schools for the NRL than CAS. Even then it is a small number comparatively over the years. Scots - Crichton, B Smith, Newington - Moeroa, Milne, Lussick, Murray, Kula, Weekes, Kings - Sua'ali'i, Penisini, Daniel Conn. Riverview - Darcy Lussick, Joeys - T Wright, C O'Kane.

Rudderless also noted back on page 67 I think that 10 of the NSW CIS Rugby League 18s team are from GPS. 2 are from CAS

Gee that's a lot of talent and current SOO & International players that I wish had a Super Rugby Jersey on them.

Rae Rae

Rudderless

Ron Walden (29)
This Saturday...

U18 NSW Waratahs 2 v QLD Reds WHITE 12.30pm

U18 NSW Waratahs 1 v QLD Reds 2pm

Live Stream via Reds Rugby Facebook Page

1656500025047.png

1656500056465.png

Tahs under 18s will smoke them.

The 9 for NSW was the GPS 1s 9 last year (he was in year 12 last year but was a year young.) Plays colts for Uni. Reminds me of Patterson from scots

Hopefully Stiel of Jackson can get some good game time and play some good footy.
This isnt the best Qld sides, the best Qld u18 sides are the Reds Academy sides that will be playing later in the season. These are kids who have been selected from places like club rugby and some of the lesser Qld schoolboy sides. A large number of the GPS schools dont let their kids trial for these teams and they feel the academy pathway is the preferred option for their students.

I think the Qld schools teams are made up of non GPS kids. mostly from State schools and AIC comp.
Correct the majority of the GPS kids will be playing in the Reds Academy sides later in the year. The Qld GPS schools are very funny about letting their kids play anywhere but school rugby. The two Reds u18 sides are made up primarily of kid who are playing club rugby or in lesser school comps such as the AIC competition or APS competition on the Gold Coast. In terms of the teams to watch in the Qld GPS competition this year Nudgee College will be first with daylight second and keep an eye on Robert Toia at 13 - off to the Sydney Roosters next year but is an outstanding Union and League player.

For the games on Sunday, in the Red side Stuart Tualima is an abrasive and hardworking backrower, the fullback Kadin Pritchard had a dominate season in the AIC competition for St Peters College. While in the White team i'm looking at the #9 Tafito Ahki a big running half back who happens to bob up in all the right places. Also keep an eye on two bench players as future stars. The first is Kreedence Locke still only 17 and has been a very handy hooker in the Bond University 1st Grade colts side. The other Tauave Leofa the baby of both squads having only just turned 16, plays his club rugby at Sunnybank and will lead the Brisbane State High 1stXV this year from 10 the Reds have massive wraps on him.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Correct the majority of the GPS kids will be playing in the Reds Academy sides later in the year. The Qld GPS schools are very funny about letting their kids play anywhere but school rugby. The two Reds u18 sides are made up primarily of kid who are playing club rugby or in lesser school comps such as the AIC competition or APS competition on the Gold Coast. In terms of the teams to watch in the Qld GPS competition this year Nudgee College will be first with daylight second and keep an eye on Robert Toia at 13 - off to the Sydney Roosters next year but is an outstanding Union and League player.

For the games on Sunday, in the Red side Stuart Tualima is an abrasive and hardworking backrower, the fullback Kadin Pritchard had a dominate season in the AIC competition for St Peters College. While in the White team i'm looking at the #9 Tafito Ahki a big running half back who happens to bob up in all the right places. Also keep an eye on two bench players as future stars. The first is Kreedence Locke still only 17 and has been a very handy hooker in the Bond University 1st Grade colts side. The other Tauave Leofa the baby of both squads having only just turned 16, plays his club rugby at Sunnybank and will lead the Brisbane State High 1stXV this year from 10 the Reds have massive wraps on him.

Robert Toia was outstanding in the U19s State of Origin game last Friday at Leichardt. In a soundly beaten team he was arguably the best on the field and seemed physically different from the others. Roosters have another there. Would find it hard to believe there is a better Center in the country.

Rae Rae

Status
Not open for further replies.