• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Marce

John Thornett (49)
Socials mean very little.
I dont think so, you can't suborn Instagram or Facebook cause they have more money and power than you. So numbers and quite accurate. You can prove that with Rugby Union and League, the number are really accurate according my calculates. Waratahs has 100k followers, less than any NRL team based in NSW. The popular teams like Eels or Rabbitohs has more than 200k followers. Cricket Australia is the most popular Australian team there and so on

Last edited:

Marce

John Thornett (49)
I have no doubt he would've wound up back in the NRL if they didn't ban him...
I thought the same in his first years in Union but the guy played so much time in our code. I have no doubts he would have played the 2019 WC and then he would have gone to Europe in search of big money

Marce

John Thornett (49)
Yep most kiwis I know that follow soccer follow English soccer,(adult grandson and mates all follow team, and he doesn't follow rugby either) same as most kiwis I have met that follow league follow Aussie teams in NRL, but I hardly know many that follow the sport. But for intance, I go to Kaponga to watch 2nd div rugby here in Taranaki a lot, a town of 312 people, has a rugby club and soccer club. I know in Taranaki and most places in NZ there would be a lot more soccer clubs than league clubs, there seems to be quite a big number fo games from at secondary schools I see going on when I watching rugby, but never seen a league game. I know there must be league teams here in Taranki, but know there are more soccer clubs etc. Hell I got 2 3 Aussies in family here in NZ, and none of them are into league, one is a rugby man and pasionate AFL man, the others just watch a bit of rugby and a bit of AFL one and soccer other one.
Not saying league isn't big in Oceania or anything, just never seen evidence outside of Australia as a rule. Same as I never followed AFL, but would definitely think that is biggest game in Australia by quite some amount.
But even on Breakdown etc, you will hear panel talk of their NRL teams etc, so you right they watch a bit of that, but think you find that quite a few NRL players will watch Wallabies etc too, doesn't mean they swapping an any case, just most follow a lot of sports.
Soccer is the easiest and the cheapeast footy code to develop. I used to play soccer and I don't like it! U can play anywhere and you even dont need a doctor for a game. Develop soccer at amateur level is the cheapest sport that you can develop, for some reason is the most played sport around the world.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Let’s end this discussion. I work with media data in Aus and NZ.

NRL is comfortably the 3rd most watched sport in NZ, based on regular eyeballs.

Super Rugby and cricket both have between 12-15% of the population engaged. NRL is between 8-10% and soccer is dramatically lower. This is probably because of viewing times.

NRL viewership is up on over the last 5yrs, the trend on Super Rugby is down. However it did improve in 2020 but has dropped again in the last 12 months

Netball is 4th.

Now onto Australian rugby as in the title

Last edited:

jason08

Peter Burge (5)
Not surprising

NRL views the Oceania as a single complementary market, and allocates resources accordingly.

Rugby Union views Oceania as 8 different markets all competing against one another, and allocates resources accordingly.
I'd say lately it's been the opposite, rugby union has been taking the pacific island nations for granted, and rugby league is catching up in popularity in those countries. Especially Tonga and Samoa.

The Tongan team at the league World cup would not be a bad shout to make the semis. The Tongan union team on the other hand probably won't make it out of the group stage. Whatever you think of the credibility of the league World cup this is important to note.

jason08

Peter Burge (5)
I never met a Kiwi who follows soccer and I met hundreds of Kiwis in Australia lol NBA is quite popular cause is similar to rugby in some way, you catch the ball with your hands like rugby.

But seriously, I used to play soccer in Waverley Oval when I lived in Bondi. Soccer is not my favourite sport but in Latin America is the number one code, so you have to play it to meet people. I played with and against so many nationalities: Brazilians, Italians, Spanish and whatever country you can say but never played against Kiwis and there's a lot of Kiwis living in Australia. Then when I lived in Manly we used to play in Brookvale, the same thing, never see a Kiwi playing soccer there. Most of the Kiwis I met were in Rugby Union or League games lol. Come on! Soccer is not popular among Kiwis. I met so many Kiwis and they never talk about soccer.

Explain me how the Kiwis beat All Whites in every social network in number of followers:
View attachment 14006
View attachment 14007
View attachment 14008
View attachment 14009
The Kiwis have 6 times the number of All Whites followers in instagram. More than 100k followers in facebook. Soccer is not popular in NZ, and League is the most similar sport with the number one code played in NZ. Probably you are a soccer supporter but is not common in NZ communities.
New Zealand still has more players in the premier league than Australia does lol

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
. The Tongan union team on the other hand probably won't make it out of the group stage. Whatever you think of the credibility of the league World cup this is important to note.

No one has any idea what the new eligibility laws will mean come World Cup time for the PI nations.

i expect massive improvement at RWC where you can draw on bonafide talent coming back to represent their home islands and give a injection of veteran leadership with the next gen of emerging young talent.

jason08

Peter Burge (5)
Anyone have an idea on how the ticket sales are for the England series? I remember in 2016 Sydney and Melbourne both sold out, Brisbane was pretty close to a sell out too.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Anyone have an idea on how the ticket sales are for the England series? I remember in 2016 Sydney and Melbourne both sold out, Brisbane was pretty close to a sell out too.
Nervous we won't sell out because they're outrageously expensive.

Was contemplating going up to Sydney but charging $300 for me and a mate to sit in miserable seats at a cricket ground just didn't excite me.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)

Was contemplating going up to Sydney but charging $300 for me and a mate to sit in miserable seats at a cricket ground just didn't excite me.
Yeah just had a look at Ticketek and none of the games are close to a sellout yet. Perth's looking pretty full, but still plenty available (not sure they've opened up the topmost rows either); Brisbane and Sydney are probably sitting at ~70% capacity from my really rough eyeball

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)

haven’t you been talking up the gambling odds of England winning another series 3-0?

and your pessimistic outlook on the wobs still had you contemplating a sneaky trip down to Sydney to watch a game you expected the wobs not to win!

sucker for punishment @Dctarget

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Yeah just had a look at Ticketek and none of the games are close to a sellout yet. Perth's looking pretty full, but still plenty available (not sure they've opened up the topmost rows either); Brisbane and Sydney are probably sitting at ~70% capacity from my really rough eyeball
Think read today that Perth looking at 45-50k range in sales.

A good result on Saturday should lead to sell out at Bris/Syd.

I’ll be at Suncorp

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
haven’t you been talking up the gambling odds of England winning another series 3-0?

and your pessimistic outlook on the wobs still had you contemplating a sneaky trip down to Sydney to watch a game you expected the wobs not to win!

sucker for punishment @Dctarget
bud, I'm a season ticket holder for the Rebels. Handing over my hard earned to see my team lose is part & parcel of my rugby experience these days. You have to forgive me for being a pessimist - not sure I've ever watched the Wallabies win?

No coincidence the younger fans on here are the most pessimistic.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Think read today that Perth looking at 45-50k range in sales.

A good result on Saturday should lead to sell out at Bris/Syd.

I’ll be at Suncorp
Good on you Wallaby man, I would hope a lot of posters that are able are at games. I tend to agree a few more will get on wagon after a win on saturday.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
I expect 50k or at least 45k. It would be a decent crowd for an Aussie Rules city. All the WA rugby community should be there and maybe some Saffas and Europeans expats.

A sold out Origin a week ago got all the attention and maybe stole some casual fans who preferred to go there over the Wallabies test

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Let’s end this discussion. I work with media data in Aus and NZ.

NRL is comfortably the 3rd most watched sport in NZ, based on regular eyeballs.

Super Rugby and cricket both have between 12-15% of the population engaged. NRL is between 8-10% and soccer is dramatically lower. This is probably because of viewing times.

NRL viewership is up on over the last 5yrs, the trend on Super Rugby is down. However it did improve in 2020 but has dropped again in the last 12 months

Netball is 4th.

Now onto Australian rugby as in the title
Well you do confirm what I have been banging on about which is threat of league and fact we have not sort out super rugby hurt both nzru and RA. Motivation for both to get to the table and sort it out you would think. The lack of alignment between nzru and RA to create a stable well backed and successful super rugby product with a strong footprint to my mind part of the reason for stats you quote.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Well you do confirm what I have been banging on about which is threat of league and fact we have not sort out super rugby hurt both nzru and Rugby Australia. Motivation for both to get to the table and sort it out you would think. The lack of alignment between nzru and Rugby Australia to create a stable well backed and successful super rugby product with a strong footprint to my mind part of the reason for stats you quote.
Was reading somewhere that work was been done to get a seperate Super comp board sorted by NZR and RA, but noone sure if that is still happening after Hamish has thrown it into doubt. I have to see if I can find the write up, and don't know how factual it was.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Was reading somewhere that work was been done to get a seperate Super comp board sorted by NZR and Rugby Australia, but noone sure if that is still happening after Hamish has thrown it into doubt. I have to see if I can find the write up, and don't know how factual it was.
Yeh remember something about this as you and I have agreed on this that I think independent board focussed on the sole goal of making super rugby the best competition it can be can then perhaps better manage the various key stakeholders to work towards achieving that goal. The stats wallaby man provided should make it clear why this should be a top priority. Maybe as part of this as key reform RA may be also more keen to be involved in super rugby beyond the current term.