• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia v England Test 1 Sat. July 2 @1955

Status
Not open for further replies.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Yep
SAF>France>NZ>Ire>Eng>Aus befoye tonight
Still a fair jump to Ireland
Both in points and ability based on both tonight’s games.

On points, yep. On ability? Not wearing that till we see the current WBs mature a bit, but I'm not going to be overly worried about meeting this Ireland team whenever we actually do.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
That's #4 in a 6 team comp. Don't know how you can get more "mid" than that. And that was England, so logically we would be better than that. "Mid" works for me, and tbh I think it works mathematically speaking.
Cos Italy don’t count :) so they only beat one top tier team.
Seriously though I’m not having a go at Noah - he had a good game but he has struggled against SAF and higher ranked opposition.
I just think he’s a work in progress and would stick with the incumbent rather than change based on a close win over the 6th ranked team in the world.
Just my opinion.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Cos Italy don’t count :) so they only beat one top tier team.
Seriously though I’m not having a go at Noah - he had a good game but he has struggled against SAF and higher ranked opposition.
I just think he’s a work in progress and would stick with the incumbent rather than change based on a close win over the 6th ranked team in the world.
Just my opinion.
I don't think he's ever played SAF has he?

tragic

John Solomon (38)
On points, yep. On ability? Not wearing that till we see the current WBs mature a bit, but I'm not going to be overly worried about meeting this Ireland team whenever we actually do.
They beat England pretty convincingly 32-15 and only lost by 6 to France
They’re a good side
I agree we’re in an upward trajectory as well. But I don’t think we matched their intensity today.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I wonder if Hill will be suspended. If not, they should give him similar treatment next match. He seems as much a hothead as anyone. Easy target.
He should be and there’s precedent for it which is annoying because that means it’s red card worthy.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
I don't think he's ever played SAF has he?
He played the tri nations 2020 didn’t he?
Seem to remember he was thrown in the deep end and had a shocker.
Then had another crack in 21 before they sent the Hail Mary to quade.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
They beat England pretty convincingly 32-15 and only lost by 6 to France
They’re a good side
I agree we’re in an upward trajectory as well. But I don’t think we matched their intensity today.
It's a bit difficult to judge as the Wallabies had to deal with several changes in plan with the Cooper / Ala'alatoa / Swain losses for several reasons (not trying to be unkind to Banks but that was not as big a deal to cover, apart from having to use a sub early). I agree we are not where Ireland are right now but this group has potential, and importantly belief and more than a bit of ticker.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
He played the tri nations 2020 didn’t he?
Seem to remember he was thrown in the deep end and had a shocker.
Then had another crack in 21 before they sent the Hail Mary to quade.
2020 we only played NZ. 2021 Quade played in the two wins against SAF.

Might be wrong - little drunk. But even if he did play in 2020 he would've been a baby in rugby terms. Can't hold that against him.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
2020 we only played NZ. 2021 Quade played in the two wins against SAF.

Might be wrong - little drunk. But even if he did play in 2020 he would've been a baby in rugby terms. Can't hold that against him.
Nah you’re prob right - Maybe I’m thinking of the NZ games. Memory is a little hazy

Edit: You are right. I said the same thing last year and KOB pulled me up on it. Def was the ABs.

Last edited:

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Last few minutes obviously disappointing, but you could tell the Wallabies just wanted the game to end, a few deliberate penalties hoping to finish play.

Swain situation was shit, but you can’t expect to play test match footy and headbutt someone and not get caught. Was obviously a retaliation but still stupid.

England didn’t really show much. Very happy with the win.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Nah you’re prob right - Maybe I’m thinking of the NZ games. Memory is a little hazy

Edit: You are right. I said the same thing last year and KOB pulled me up on it. Def was the ABs.
Yeah he and Simone got buggered on their debut in Sydney against a resurgent NZ. Hardly the only aussie flyhalf to be done by those blokes, let alone on debut.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Watched the game with a few friends and after the Swain red card one said “if you’re angry at someone pulling your hair, just punch them in the chest”.

Someone else responded with “you don’t get to the Wallabies by being the type of person who punches someone in the chest for pulling your hair”.

I instantly thought back to Philips behaviour to me and and friends at a mutual friends 21st all those years ago.

Compounded with the hair pulling, and the push in the face moments earlier, I can’t blame Swain for reacting how he did. However, now he’s reacted and learnt from it, I can judge him if he does it again.

Yes you were angry and impulsive, but learn from it. Once is ok, twice shows you’re an idiot and a caveman.

Happy with the victory.
If the ref isn't going to do something about blatant attacks then you should. Fuck it. The only thing disappointing about that was how he did it.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
Watched the game with a few friends and after the Swain red card one said “if you’re angry at someone pulling your hair, just punch them in the chest”.

Someone else responded with “you don’t get to the Wallabies by being the type of person who punches someone in the chest for pulling your hair”.

I instantly thought back to Philips behaviour to me and and friends at a mutual friends 21st all those years ago.

Compounded with the hair pulling, and the push in the face moments earlier, I can’t blame Swain for reacting how he did. However, now he’s reacted and learnt from it, I can judge him if he does it again.

Yes you were angry and impulsive, but learn from it. Once is ok, twice shows you’re an idiot and a caveman.

Happy with the victory.
Pathetic from the ref. Doesn’t have the strength of his own convictions. Pathetic

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Interested to find out if people thought it was an entertaining/ enjoyable game tonight.
1st half was very poor and I noticed rumblings from the non-rugby types about how boring it was - and the red card situation didn't help. If they stayed tuned in I think they would've been satisfied with the 2nd half.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Massive win for this team. With everything that went wrong, even before the game, and their backs to the wall the boys got the job done. I thought we were clinging on but then we stepped up a gear and England couldn't go with us.

The subs were excellent tonight.

The development in the group is coming along well and Rennie has got them finding a way to win the tight ones, because in the past we would have dropped our bundled and got flogged.

Status
Not open for further replies.