• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia v England Test 1 Sat. July 2 @1955

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkJ

Bob Loudon (25)
If I remember correctly, for Arundell's first try, the defensive line was missing most of the forwards who had fallen in a heap at the previous line out. As you said, the guy will likely go on to good things, but I wouldn't be reading into two very opportunistic tries as though he's going to breeze through the line with ease at Suncorp.
Plus the two defenders (Noah and maybe Kellaway?) clashed heads when they went in to the tackle which contributed to them falling off

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
.....league is a simple game that has become dominated by statistics and risk averse tactics a game of attrition that does not require strategy and adaptation (on field thinking).
Yer right there, KP. I reckon league's an endless sequence of biff/bash/barge/pass/run/kick. If a coach mixes up his Bs and goes bash/barge/biff, or kicks after four tackles, he's considered a genius.

There was a post-season review by the league bosses some fiveish years ago when it was revealed passes per match had shrunken considerably in the preceding years; league has gone ultra risk averse a la NFL. Pfitzy's observations about the Walker boys work at Ipswich the last few years makes for thought.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
Yeh I did. Was great. Why is it brave ? Lol
Well I have never had an issue with Stan Sport. But sports streaming on Kayo especially is prone to drop outs. When I watched it live I watched it in HD then I watched it in 4K when I watched the replay

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Yeah Paul Smith picked out all the Wallabies infringements that Doleman missed, nothing about the Poms tackling around necks or lying all over the ruck he missed
Doleman went easy on an Australian team? That would be an absolute first for him.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
From World Rugby:

"Australia second row Darcy Swain will attend an independent disciplinary hearing after receiving a red card for an act of foul play contrary to Law 9.12 (A player must not physically abuse anyone) in Australia’s test match against England on 2 July.

"The player will attend a hearing via video link before an independent Judicial Committee chaired by Shao-Ing Wang, joined by former players Chris Smith and Stefan Terblanche.

"The hearing will take place on Tuesday in agreement with the player and his representatives."

I take that to mean they're disputing the charge, probably on the grounds of provocation?

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ I read somewhere that it's a 12-week offence & if the challenge is unsuccessful he won't get the usual 50% discount so could be looking at eight to ten weeks.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Quade should ideally be starting with Noah there close to learn and grow. If Quade was out of the picture then I'd imagine JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) would attempt to fill that role albeit not even close to Quades level of impact he can have on other players.

What is the context for this comment?

Are you saying Quade is a better mentor for Noah? Or that his ability on the field at 10 is better than JOC (James O'Connor)?

I agree with the latter, Quade's pure playmaking is great for the Wallabies and he reads the game better than JOC (James O'Connor).

But if you're talking about leadership and mentor qualities, I'm not sure you can unequivocally write off JOC (James O'Connor) as inferior. Quade has built a pretty strong persona via this socials and comments these last few years, but lets not forget 80% of his career was essentially playing for himself, as well as more than few off field issues (which JOC (James O'Connor) also had). Quade is definitely a mentor, but a lot of his knowledge is also hard to transfer, the way he reads the game and what he can do at times is freakish, not exactly skills you can handover.

I would argue JOC (James O'Connor) may even be stronger is some aspects as he's been able to develop into a test level player across multiple positions and adapt his gameplay accordingly.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
^ I read somewhere that it's a 12-week offence & if the challenge is unsuccessful he won't get the usual 50% discount so could be looking at eight to ten weeks.
So dumb. One of the Saffas delivered a driving shoulder to the head of a prone player last year and that was not considered red card worthy but a vague shoulder/headbutt - as much the refs negligence as anything - is 10 weeks.

Priorities are so fucked.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
It is stupid. And surely there’s a difference between a headbutt and a full blown Liverpool Kiss. I read somewhere that the initial point of impact would be part of the defence.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Is it calendar weeks or games? Can he use club rugby to use up the suspension?

I thought the loophole had been closed that allowed players to do this?

These guys are professional players, so allowing them to serve time in an amateur competition is a piss-take.

I also have no sympathy for Swain after this, he needs to serve his time.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
^ no, nothing. Hair pulling was dealt with on-field & would have to be really, really bad to meet the Red threshold. I'm surprised nothing's being done wrt to the shove in the face, that was pretty obvious & I think meets the definition of striking.

No sure what has to happen for hair pulling to be worse than this case, actually remove the mullet physically?

I take it that it’s more serious than just a standard high tackle thing. Head butting is up with gouging in my eyes.

Agree with this wholeheartedly. Still if both palms to the face is not being considered a strike to the head, then surely the nature of this head butt is minimal?

Stupid for sure but 12 week’s unmitigated seems harsh when comparing the two.

Status
Not open for further replies.