• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia v England: Match II @ Suncorp 7.55pm AEST, 09/07

Status
Not open for further replies.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
It's pretty disappointing that they didn't consider alleviating the confusion during the regular Adam Wallace-Harrison and Sam Norton-Knight debates.
And how are new members supposed to weigh in on our frequent discussions about Jason Jones-Hughes and Sam Scott-Young?

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
Is Cooper ok for this one? Even if he is I think there's a pretty good chance Lolesio starts again.

Wouldn't be amazed to see Sio and Bell swap, Bell had a bit of a hard time in some of the early scrums. Also wouldn't write off Paisami as coming onto the bench, he was the extra back warming up with the side on Saturday. That is less wing cover though, but I'm not sure they'll really want to use Perese on the wing against England either, so it might be a choice between Wright and Vunivalu for 23.
wright deserves the spot based on his SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) season

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Quade going from ruled out in warmup, to starting this game, I think would be a stretch.

Having played no minutes at flyhalf in my entire career, I can't attest to how much he uses his calf in a game, but as a human who walks on two legs, I imagine having to use said calf muscle to get around every day, probably hasn't helped the quick recovery turn around.

Confucius Say

Nev Cottrell (35)
Wallabies bring Hodge back to squad. What a step backward.

He just played and lost to Samoa. He is not the answer Mr Rennie.

Jock Campbell, Ben Donaldson and Tane Edmed all better. I’d prefer Muirhead too. Maybe not the “versatility” but he would find it!

LeCheese

Ken Catchpole (46)

Jock Campbell, Ben Donaldson and Tane Edmed all better. I’d prefer Muirhead too. Maybe not the “versatility” but he would find it!
My heart says that there are absolutely more exciting prospects than Hodge, but my head says his experience, versatility, and stability is probably what is needed in the squad right now.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Quade could be fine. It was a twinge and he was unsure about going forward. Hopefully it is nothing and he can take his place.
It was the right decision not to play as we then had cover at 10, as opposed to playing for 5-10 minutes and then coming off.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
Quade could be fine. It was a twinge and he was unsure about going forward. Hopefully it is nothing and he can take his place.
It was the right decision not to play as we then had cover at 10, as opposed to playing for 5-10 minutes and then coming off.
This is the impression I got as well. Seemed to be precautionary to ensure he is right for the remainder of the series.

If he isn't I was happy with Noah and would like to see him continue to start.

Phillip in, Tupou in, the rest of the starting pack unchanged. Holloway to the bench if fit, Frost if not. Wright at 23. Vunivalu to get his chance next week if we are up 2-0.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

I'm not sure if any of those players, particularly the two flyhalves, or the injured Muirhead, are the answer to fullback cover in the squad...

But I'm rather impressed by Reece Hodge taking on an entire international team by himself and only losing by five points... bravo!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Rennie has clearly added Hodge as a fullback option and nothing more.

The only thing clear from that selection is that Hodge is viewed as closer to the Wallabies than Campbell which is not in the least bit surprising.

I don't expect Hodge to make the 23.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

Jock Campbell and Tane Edmed also played and lost to Samoa and neither looked any better than Hodge.

Tane has, as far as i am aware, never played a professional game at 15.

Status
Not open for further replies.