• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

tragic

John Solomon (38)
I’m no longer convinced an open slather approach to overseas selections would be a bad thing.
The wallabies need some results to encourage more supporters and that requires our best team on the park.
It would also free up space for more local players to get a salaried contract instead of looking at league or other options,
It would probably necessitate ditching the super format as the drop in standard would make the games against NZ more one sided than they already are, but I’d rather see a local derby anyway than a comp involving irrelevant overseas clubs.

hifflepiff

Charlie Fox (21)
I’m no longer convinced an open slather approach to overseas selections would be a bad thing.
The wallabies need some results to encourage more supporters and that requires our best team on the park.
It would also free up space for more local players to get a salaried contract instead of looking at league or other options,
It would probably necessitate ditching the super format as the drop in standard would make the games against NZ more one sided than they already are, but I’d rather see a local derby anyway than a comp involving irrelevant overseas clubs.

Watching Mack Hansen for Ireland really drove this home. The bloke would probably be a Wallaby if Aus had more playing spots available.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Just the fact that hes not a real lineout option is an issue. The other side of it is it does not appear as if he is motivated to play. I mean, he will if Rugby Australia jump through all the hoops but he has been approached many times since going OS and has shown a complete lack of will to jump through any hoops himself.

He’s as motivated to play as Kerevi, Koroibete, Quade and Arnold are…

Last edited:

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I agree with Rugby Australia on this. They have said you wanted to be able to pick three from overseas we gave you three. Now you are saying well you know what I really want another one so lets make it four.
Where does it stop, I mean five is only one extra on top of the four and really once we are at five six is only one more.
We have picked a number and made a call at three, either stick to it or throw the rule out entirely and make it open slather.
Why didn’t they leave it so that 70+ test Wallabies were eligible no matter what and that they could select 3 players who did not qualify under the Giteau rule? Those guys have earned it, as has anyone of the current players that get there like Hooper.
Quade and Beale qualify, Genia if they wanted him.

Rugby Head

Watty Friend (18)
Why didn’t they leave it so that 70+ test Wallabies were eligible no matter what and that they could select 3 players who did not qualify under the Giteau rule? Those guys have earned it, as has anyone of the current players that get there like Hooper.
Quade and Beale qualify, Genia if they wanted him.
100% agree, any of the guys with 60+ tests have earned their stripes for the country, they should be able to play regardless if they are in Aus or overseas. They shouldn't be included in the 3 players.

Last edited:

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
I agree with Rugby Australia on this. They have said you wanted to be able to pick three from overseas we gave you three. Now you are saying well you know what I really want another one so lets make it four.
Where does it stop, I mean five is only one extra on top of the four and really once we are at five six is only one more.
We have picked a number and made a call at three, either stick to it or throw the rule out entirely and make it open slather.
No other sport imposes these bullshit restrictions. I want to see the wallabies win end of. If it’s 23 overseas based players but that wins us the 23 WC I couldn’t care one iota

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
No other sport imposes these bullshit restrictions. I want to see the wallabies win end of. If it’s 23 overseas based players but that wins us the 23 WC I couldn’t care one iota

do you think that will lead to the majority of local talent going overseas as they can earn more money AND still represent Australia? Leaving us with an A-League quality domestic comp.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
do you think that will lead to the majority of local talent going overseas as they can earn more money AND still represent Australia? Leaving us with an A-League quality domestic comp.
We're kind of heading towards that already, I reckon.
As much as everyone doesn't like it, Aus rugby has always been top-down in terms of the money - the Wallabies flying high gets punters in and money too. As we settle at a solid 6 in the rankings, with potential to drop to 7 or 8 it's hard to see much improving. Good players in key positions who are valued elsewhere (4,5,1 and 3) won't be able to be retained. If the Wallabies are going to compete, we may have to accept the need to broaden the selection criteria. That's my gut feeling.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)

Hard to compare the other codes in Australia to this situation though.

Both the NRL and AFL are the creme de la creme of their respective sporting comps, they don't need to impose selection restrictions because their best players already play here/the no one gives a crap about international NRL or AFL.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Hard to compare the other codes in Australia to this situation though.

Both the NRL and AFL are the creme de la creme of their respective sporting comps, they don't need to impose selection restrictions because their best players already play here/the no one gives a crap about international NRL or AFL.

I made this point on a social media post on this topic a few days ago. It's all very well to say the NRL is more popular, blah blah blah, but it's popular in exactly one country and nobody else gives a shit.

Rugby exists in not only a dog fight for limited player numbers in Australia across sports, but also in an international market where we compete with the higher salaries on offer in England, France and Japan.

I can foresee a time when RA gives up and says that trying to hold back the dam wall of international competition is pointless and we go the South African route. That is unless we can get a serious injection of money and keep players at home for longer.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
We're kind of heading towards that already, I reckon.
As much as everyone doesn't like it, Aus rugby has always been top-down in terms of the money - the Wallabies flying high gets punters in and money too. As we settle at a solid 6 in the rankings, with potential to drop to 7 or 8 it's hard to see much improving. Good players in key positions who are valued elsewhere (4,5,1 and 3) won't be able to be retained. If the Wallabies are going to compete, we may have to accept the need to broaden the selection criteria. That's my gut feeling.
It'll be interesting to see whether this is sustainable in terms of Wallabies performance.

I mean, it will probably boost Wallabies performances in the short term but will it ultimately hobble our ability to generate talent?

I think its inevitable, regardless. Unless we magic up a whole bunch of money the talent will leave for Europe and Japan.

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
One major difference is the A-League would be lucky to be in the top 50 leagues in the world - we would have a league still in the top 5 for quality and more places available for younger talent which currently have to go to NRL or overseas for a professional opportunity

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
One major difference is the A-League would be lucky to be in the top 50 leagues in the world - we would have a league still in the top 5 for quality and more places available for younger talent which currently have to go to NRL or overseas for a professional opportunity

would it be top 5 if we lose our top 50 players though?? And then would there be funding (broadcast, sponsorship etc) if the level of talent dipped so much? We'd be lucky to be top 5 then.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
would it be top 5 if we lose our top 50 players though?? And then would there be funding (broadcast, sponsorship etc) if the level of talent dipped so much? We'd be lucky to be top 5 then.
And the high performance outcomes of having no say in what is happening to the players.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
I made this point on a social media post on this topic a few days ago. It's all very well to say the NRL is more popular, blah blah blah, but it's popular in exactly one country and nobody else gives a shit.

Rugby exists in not only a dog fight for limited player numbers in Australia across sports, but also in an international market where we compete with the higher salaries on offer in England, France and Japan.

I can foresee a time when Rugby Australia gives up and says that trying to hold back the dam wall of international competition is pointless and we go the South African route. That is unless we can get a serious injection of money and keep players at home for longer.
Soccer picks anyone for the national side and the A league has never been dominate

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
**Trigger Warning**

Kerevi in 7s kit
F0385BB8-E236-4587-B39E-570283354102.jpeg

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Both the domestic league (A League) and the national team in Football are going backwards and are in a much worse state than they were in the 2000s despite football being more popular than ever.

Dont think there is much to be learnt there.

Yep, no one is expecting the Socceroos to win a World Cup anytime in the next ummm, 100 years?