• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Love2Scrum

Alfred Walker (16)
Respectfully, I disagree. I thought Newington were the much better side both on defense and attack. They got the ball out to their backs extremely well which lead to the majority of their tries. On two occasions, Newington also performed two great try-saving tackles. The forwards were great at holding possession and were very calm when kings were right on the try line about to score. Every single player on that team did their job great but James McGregor was clearly the best player on the field and deserves man of the match.
Totally agree and well said Dusk.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
To begin Sunday lets check out the tipping....couple of people were able to predict the correct margin.

TIPS- Week 9.jpg

Last edited:

Cockatoo Run

Allen Oxlade (6)
I feel Scots will really kick themselves about their loss yesterday. With Ollie Cummins actually playing (and very well), Joeys without Max Jorgensen, stealing TEN Joeys lineouts, and playing at home - what more would you need in your favour?

On the flip side, Joeys did what they do best - tackle, tackle some more, harass, turn up, play smart. Wasn’t pretty, but to compensate for the lineout they won at least the same number of turnover penalties back their way, almost each won by a different player.

Joey Fowler’s control and decision making in the 10/15 combined role was exceptional. Interested to hear other people’s take on the game.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
What a game at Scots!

Best I had seen this season. Both teams belting the snot out of one another with no winner guaranteed even though the tipping ran heavily to the Joeys lads. A bumper crowd, an insane tunnel, some bloke without a shirt yelling something and both schools cheering very loudly. Great atmosphere and was well worth the illegal park made in the staff car park. (Good to know these old nooks and crannies)

From the onset both teams were like heavyweight boxers, not wanting to over commit and give the opposition an opening to exploit and hence kicking dominated for field position. #12 from Scots has the biggest kick I have seen this year and he played full back, switching with Fittler time to time. Joeys were having a hard time to make ground in the backs with the Joeys #13 well contained. Joeys eventually started to focus on the middle channel of the field and ground their way forward using the smaller forwards but staying low to the ground as much as possible so the Scots lads would wrap them up.. Fowler was very astute in his kicking, Joeys did score in the 32nd minute with a quick piece of thinking of the Joeys #7 who took a cheeky tap and dove over while the Scots lads were thinking of oranges. (For the record, he shook every hand before the game)

Second half was when both teams loosened their shoulders and really start to swing at one another. Scots unleashed "the beast" and #15 and #12 combined very well in the centres breaking tackles easily. Joeys in response released "the Kracken" and started to use the width and test the lateral movement of Scots. The smaller Joeys boys did everything they could to hang on. Joeys bravest was their #9 who must be considered the form halfback of the year. He tackled elephants, giants and kicked very well. Scots started to use their superior size and speed to wear Joeys down and the points soon came. Scots hit the lead with some excellent line out work (number 5 was incredible) and they converted their chances. Joeys at one stage lost 5 line outs against the throw as the "skylab" of Scots 5 was impossible to go over. The Joeys boys only try came from their one visit to the Scots 22m. It was brutal and had little style but the Joeys #1 only knows one way and he got the job done. The last 10 minutes were pulsating as Scots launched raid upon raid on the Joeys lads. They had all the ball. This was when the smaller cattle dogs started to shine. They were able to get to the breakdown quicker and they refused to let go of the ball like any good cattle dog would do, despite the size of the beast they brought down and those who were trying to smash them off the "carcass". Three penalties in a row hurt Scots as they had the ball in a scoring position with Joeys looking to go down but Scots couldn't get to the breakdown quick enough to support their mates and the ball was turned over. In the end two heavyweights still stood facing each other fittingly in the centre of the field.

Well done to both teams.
BBQ? Could do better but lovely service from a mum who's son I taught at Scots .
Nice to be welcomed again.

Finally, I had a very quick catch up with Subbie. Thanks for saying hello. Looking forward to next time.

stormtrooper.jpg

Last edited:

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
Respectfully, I disagree. I thought Newington were the much better side both on defense and attack. They got the ball out to their backs extremely well which lead to the majority of their tries. On two occasions, Newington also performed two great try-saving tackles. The forwards were great at holding possession and were very calm when kings were right on the try line about to score. Every single player on that team did their job great but James McGregor was clearly the best player on the field and deserves man of the match.
Hello Dusk

Most happy that you disagree, as a New supporter, I don't like to talk up our achievements. As it sounds arrogant and belittling to another school. Another school does the arrogant theme very well This time I may have be wrong and in hindsight, you were right. The other error I made, I wrote the report to early, should have digested the game over time.So Dusk, many thanks for your criticism.

If New can reproduce this form over the final matches, we should see some fine tries and hopefully, two wins.

I don't want to get ahead myself, but should Joeys drop a game which seems unlikely and New wins the next two games, then its co-priemiership with Joeys. Although, this seems unlikely one can hope.

Regards B&W

Stevenhutchings

Stan Wickham (3)
I feel Scots will really kick themselves about their loss yesterday. With Ollie Cummins actually playing (and very well), Joeys without Max Jorgensen, stealing TEN Joeys lineouts, and playing at home - what more would you need in your favour?

On the flip side, Joeys did what they do best - tackle, tackle some more, harass, turn up, play smart. Wasn’t pretty, but to compensate for the lineout they won at least the same number of turnover penalties back their way, almost each won by a different player.

Joey Fowler’s control and decision making in the 10/15 combined role was exceptional. Interested to hear other people’s take on the game.
Fowler’s control steadied the game and his kicking was astute. I thought the Joeys 4 had a strong game over the ball. Scots 12 was very impressive

Balmain Subbies

Alfred Walker (16)
Agree with Joker about yesterday. If Scots had of played like that against New it would of been a very different scoreline. Taking nothing away from New. At the end of the day whilst the score was not what I would of liked, seeing the crowd, the atmosphere and catching up with old mates (and surprising Joker) I could have asked for a better day and it made me remember why we all love this game and comp. Bring on 2023!

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Agree with Joker about yesterday. If Scots had of played like that against New it would of been a very different scoreline. Taking nothing away from New. At the end of the day whilst the score was not what I would of liked, seeing the crowd, the atmosphere and catching up with old mates (and surprising Joker) I could have asked for a better day and it made me remember why we all love this game and comp. Bring on 2023!
You damn well did surprise me and a lovely one to boot. A wonderful day all round.

Rugbynbeers

Bill Watson (15)
Anyone have reports on how bartlet went in the 16As? and how brial played in the 1sts.

also shore vs riverview who won in the 16s with their round robbin also featuring grammar.

Who stood out in the younger age groups throughout the weekend?

Status
Not open for further replies.