• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2023

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
My thoughts exactly. WTF a staged refurbishment (north side in year 1, east side in year 2, etc) couldn't've been done for considerably less bothers me. Add in the fact the capacity has been increased from 46,000 to 42,500 and I'm even more perplexed. What's done is done and I hope punters fill the place for every Tahs match.

Last edited:

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
My thoughts exactly. WTF a staged refurbishment (north side in year 1, east side in year 2, etc) couldn't've been done for considerably less bothers me. Add in the fact the capacity has been in creased from 46,000 to 42,500 and I'm even more perplexed. What's done is done and I hope punters fill the place for every Tahs match.

The NRL wanted a shiny new stadium so the tax payer had to foot a $1b to make them happy. Turns out like the spoilt child they are they're not and want more or otherwise they're taking their ball and going to Qld

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
My thoughts exactly. WTF a staged refurbishment (north side in year 1, east side in year 2, etc) couldn't've been done for considerably less bothers me. Add in the fact the capacity has been in creased from 46,000 to 42,500 and I'm even more perplexed. What's done is done and I hope punters fill the place for every Tahs match.
I understand there were quite serious difficulties getting the old joint up to scratch re basic safety (the width of exits in case of an emergency

The challenge is when you want to start renovating they add in all the compliance requirements of a modern building

Add to that we had a shit stadium that wasn't actually functional ie being able to sit in a stand and stay dry and I can understand the reasons for replacing it

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Yeah, the width of the concourses was the major issue that couldn't be upgraded within the existing structure (particularly around the corners).

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Have they improved the facilities (bar, food, toilets) as they were the real weakness in the old stadium.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Have they improved the facilities (bar, food, toilets) as they were the real weakness in the old stadium.
We can only dream of the US beer vendor system

56f23135f3287.jpg

Marce

John Thornett (49)

You can't build a 80k stadium in the centre of a city like Sydney. All the new big stadium are build in the suburns