• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2023

Alex Ross (28)
With the (imminent or actual?) signing of Jack Debreczini, the roster looks just about set for 2023. I reckon Jack will be used as the starting No 15 with Jesse Mogg covering both fullback and wing off the bench.
It looks like the best 23 would be :

1 Slipper (Wallaby)
2 Lonergan (Wallaby)
3 Ala'alatoa (Wallaby)
4 Swain (Wallaby)
5 Neville (Wallaby)
6 Valetini (Wallaby)
7 Brown (Wallaby prospect)
8 Samu (Wallaby)
9 White (Wallaby)
10 Lolesio (Wallaby)
11 Muirhead (proven Super Rugby player)
12 Creighton (WIP)
13 Ikitau (Wallaby)
14 Wright (Wallaby)
15 Debreczini (proven Super Rugby player)

16 Pollard (Wallaby prospect)
17 Kaihea (WIP)
18 Kautai (WIP)
19 Frost (Wallaby)
20 Reimer (WIP)
21 Lonergan (Wallaby prospect)
22 Sapsford (WIP)
23 Mogg (ex-Wallaby)

Others :
McInerney (Wallaby)
Ross (WIP)
Hooper (Wallaby prospect)
Kennedy (WIP)
Scott (WIP)
O'Donnell (WIP)

Will be among the top again when the whips are cracking, I reckon.
Better win the whole damn thing then!

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Did anyone see Larkham's comments around playing more of an entertaining rugby style to win fans back. This is worrying to hear from the new Brumbies head coach, could he be going away from the current mauling and set-piece strengths the Brumbies have now developed?

Given Larkham's last stint as head-coach we saw possibly the most one-dimensional and boring attacking style of play, I feel he may now be over-compensating for his previous errors. Hopefully I am wrong.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Funny coming from Munster too, where the Thomond Park roars louder during mauls, scrums and corner kicks than counter attack.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Based on crowd attendance, I’d say it’s a positive comment. Set-piece dominance doesn’t mean you have to play boring rugby

I don't think there's anything boring about how the Brumbies currently play. It's currently a well-balanced game.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
The crowd attendances tell otherwise. They were the best Aussie team by a mile but crowds were abysmal

There are many factors that contribute to that. Canberra weather, stadium location, over-all sentiment of rugby, the previous 5-10 seasons of style of play (Larkham era + White era), all the ref interference. stoppages of play, inconsistent ref rulings, the success of rugby League etc. etc.

One or two good years of a balanced game-plan won't get Brumbies fans to the stadium, especially in Canberra. The stadium is cold, inconvenient and the atmosphere terrible, I understand why many would prefer to watch from home.

Rugby needs more then just winning and playing running rugby. The whole game needs an overhaul.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Brumbies Rugby are excited to announce backrower Charlie Cale has been promoted to the club’s Super Rugby Pacific squad after a stellar season with the Uni-Norths Owls in the Bentspoke John I Dent Cup.

Cale joined the Brumbies pathways program in September last year, and trained full-time with the club's Super Rugby Pacific squad during the 2022 campaign.

Born in Dubbo, The King's School product was a standout for Sydney City at U19 level, and is currently the top try scorer in the Bentspoke John I Dent Cup where he has showcased his unique ability with ball-in-hand.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Brumbies Rugby are excited to announce backrower Charlie Cale has been promoted to the club’s Super Rugby Pacific squad after a stellar season with the Uni-Norths Owls in the Bentspoke John I Dent Cup.

Cale joined the Brumbies pathways program in September last year, and trained full-time with the club's Super Rugby Pacific squad during the 2022 campaign.

Born in Dubbo, The King's School product was a standout for Sydney City at U19 level, and is currently the top try scorer in the Bentspoke John I Dent Cup where he has showcased his unique ability with ball-in-hand.
Backrower leading the try tally? Good stuff

MarkJ

Bob Loudon (25)
Don’t know if this means the Brumbies may officially be the ACT Brumbies again from tomorrow, or perhaps the Canberra Brumbies?

mail
Dear Brumbies Family,

We trust you are all well, and we want to begin by thanking you again for your support in 2022.

We are reaching out regarding a significant announcement for the club that is set to be confirmed via press release tomorrow morning.

As many of you would be aware, the organisation removed the ‘ACT’ from the name of its Senior and Junior Representative sides in 2005, coinciding with the broadening of the ACT Rugby’s geographic reach to include Southern NSW.

As a valued member of the Brumbies, we believe it is important for you to be aware of the direction the club is moving in regarding our identity and branding.

Tomorrow’s release will provide more information on the way the club will position itself in the future and confirms the club’s commitment to further connect with our local community.

The ACT and Southern NSW Rugby Union stress this decision will not affect the club’s commitment to our region but will serve as a symbol of our increased commitment to ensuring our local community are proud to support the Brumbies.

The announcement will include comments from CEO Phil Thomson, Chairman of the Board Matt Nobbs and Head Coach Stephen Larkham.

We look forward to confirming this exciting news with you tomorrow.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Don’t know if this means the Brumbies may officially be the ACT Brumbies again from tomorrow, or perhaps the Canberra Brumbies?

mail
Dear Brumbies Family,

We trust you are all well, and we want to begin by thanking you again for your support in 2022.

We are reaching out regarding a significant announcement for the club that is set to be confirmed via press release tomorrow morning.

As many of you would be aware, the organisation removed the ‘ACT’ from the name of its Senior and Junior Representative sides in 2005, coinciding with the broadening of the ACT Rugby’s geographic reach to include Southern NSW.

As a valued member of the Brumbies, we believe it is important for you to be aware of the direction the club is moving in regarding our identity and branding.

Tomorrow’s release will provide more information on the way the club will position itself in the future and confirms the club’s commitment to further connect with our local community.

The ACT and Southern NSW Rugby Union stress this decision will not affect the club’s commitment to our region but will serve as a symbol of our increased commitment to ensuring our local community are proud to support the Brumbies.

The announcement will include comments from CEO Phil Thomson, Chairman of the Board Matt Nobbs and Head Coach Stephen Larkham.

We look forward to confirming this exciting news with you tomorrow.

should have been the kosciuszko brumbies

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Relatively small time, compared with my expectations. Something along the lines of entering a private equity partnership with Silverlake leading to the Australian Brumbies competing in the SRAO competition and having a team in the Mitre 10.

Ah well, probably a good move if it doesn't put the region's noses out of joint and hopefully helping to build more support in the Canberra community.