• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Having no NRC is better how?

MungoMan

Sydney Middleton (9)
Many are they who love their local club comp and, likely, few are they who give not a bugger but miss NRC greatly. I number among the latter.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
This is where the big end of town should have their arms twisted by McLennan and co to come up with the funds to run this vitally important competition.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Many are they who love their local club comp and, likely, few are they who give not a bugger but miss NRC greatly. I number among the latter.

Yeah, watching the NPC and cannot help but long for something that could fill the same purpose as this. Unless we go with some kind of national semi-pro club competition that essentially runs some kind of franchise model allowing for clubs to sign players then we may be waiting for a long time.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
I'm not against the NRC but is there any evidence that the comp did anything for the quality of rugby at the levels above in its 6 seasons? Its hard to think that the Aus Super teams could have been even worse between 2016 and 2020.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I'm not against the NRC but is there any evidence that the comp did anything for the quality of rugby at the levels above in its 6 seasons? Its hard to think that the Aus Super teams could have been even worse between 2016 and 2020.

I think QLD have definitely benefitted. I'd suggest the BRumbies too. More importantly I think the individual players benefitted. It provided ideal (I feel) middle schooling for the likes of Tupou, Hodge, Wilson, Naivalu and turned up some diamonds in the rough such as Jock Campbell and Filipo Daugunu.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
I think QLD have definitely benefitted. I'd suggest the BRumbies too. More importantly I think the individual players benefitted. It provided ideal (I feel) middle schooling for the likes of Tupou, Hodge, Wilson, Naivalu and turned up some diamonds in the rough such as Jock Campbell and Filipo Daugunu.
I think it is pretty clear cut, Queensland and the ACT had the best programs and went on to be the best of the Aus sides as a result

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Yeh I think it's been mentioned many times across various threads that the QRU running both the NRC teams, as well as Thorn's early involvement, definitely steered the Reds to a period of success. There was a unified goal for the teams.

I am sure the sentiment is quite different in NSW.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Yeh I think it's been mentioned many times across various threads that the QRU running both the NRC teams, as well as Thorn's early involvement, definitely steered the Reds to a period of success. There was a unified goal for the teams.

I am sure the sentiment is quite different in NSW.
Not from this NSWelshmen. I've been an avid Shute Shield viewer for a long time but without a huge influx of funds it cannot bridge the gap that the likes of the NPC does between club and professionalism. The NRC did that and frankly should have always been controlled directly by NSW Rugby.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
I think it is pretty clear cut, Queensland and the ACT had the best programs and went on to be the best of the Aus sides as a result
But were they better with the NRC against NZ and SA sides who have always had an equivalent comp. There's always going to be a best Aus side. But even the Brumbies were terrible against NZ with the exception of 2019. The other problem is that it is only this year since 2016 that Aus sides have managed more than 25% victories against NZ. Before 2016 the lowest percentage (in season AUS vs NZ matches) was 30% in 2007. And of course there has not been an NRC since 2019 so with the Super Rugby teams have pulled but some of the difference without it. Unless we argue that the Super Rugby teams would have been even worse without the NRC I don't see how the historical data supports it helping Super Rugby and Test level.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
But were they better with the NRC against NZ and SA sides who have always had an equivalent comp. There's always going to be a best Aus side. But even the Brumbies were terrible against NZ with the exception of 2019. The other problem is that it is only this year since 2016 that Aus sides have managed more than 25% victories against NZ. Before 2016 the lowest percentage (in season AUS vs NZ matches) was 30% in 2007. And of course there has not been an NRC since 2019 so with the Super Rugby teams have pulled but some of the difference without it. Unless we argue that the Super Rugby teams would have been even worse without the NRC I don't see how the historical data supports it helping Super Rugby and Test level.
Who cares about NZ sides. We need to focus on ourselves

Perth Girl

Frank Row (1)
Hmmm who was it who won the last NRC easily beating an ACT side full of Brumbies? Yes that's right it was the Force! The Toaster can be seen in the WF headquarters

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
The model they and South Africa use gives their players pathways and it means they don't have to throw guys from club rugby to Super rugby and destroy their confidence off the bat

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
before the NRC existed the continuing online argument as far as I could tell was that Australia needed a 3rd Tier national comp to develop players or they would never reliably compete with NZ and SA who have one. I bought into this and believed it would eventually make a difference to Aus Super Rugby sides through the awful post 2015 seasons.

Also, how can we know if the NRC is improving Australian player development ("focus on ourselves") without comparing our performances internationally?