• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Southern Inland Rugby 2022

Whistle Happy

Jimmy Flynn (14)
My understanding of the current 1st Grade Ladder is that Wagga Ag College are 3 points clear of Albury at present.
A Draw will get Aggies through obviously and if Albury win without a Bonus point all Aggies need to do is gain a Bonus point by either losing by 7 or scoring 4 tries or more.
I'm still scratching my head as to how Reddies thump Tumut a fortnight ago and then lose 60-0 to Albury a week later - were Reddies trying to play Aggies out of the Finals ?
City to win 1st, 2nd & 3rd Grade on the day of the Big Dance and the Womens Comp is a lottery with the likes of Griffith, CSU, Aggies and Waratahs all in the mix to win the decider on Sep 3

Last edited:

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
Aggies could easily have beaten Blacks last weekend if not for a dropped ball over the line. They should beat Albury. Having said that Blacks will not be playing this weekend while Aggies will have the advantage of another run on Saturday. I reckon that Aggies win this weekend and start favourites in the elimination final after that.

Bubba

Fred Wood (13)
I'd imagine Aggies would be ruing the 5 points deducted for an unregsitered player against Tahs. Its made thier life a lot harder than was necessary thats for sure. Albury would not even have a sniff of semi final football other wise ! I think aggies could be right up against it with this game in Albury - they will need to be at their best to make sure of a win thats for sure.

Would you be fair in wondering if the young fella who was paying weekly rego is copping much grief at training ??

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
I think the reality of the Finals is that City/Griffith/Tahs are the three contenders. Albury and Aggies have done well so far, I doubt either of them will be too stressed if they don’t make the finals.

City will win in Week One, leaving Griffith v Tahs in week two in Griffith which will be a tough trip for Tahs.

It’s likely that City will play Griffith in Wagga for the big job.

I’m happy to eat humble pie if I’m wrong, it won’t be the first time I’ve been wrong and it certainly won’t be the last!

Bubba

Fred Wood (13)
Last round ! 2 of the 3 games dont have real bearing on next week. But that 3rd game is going to be crucial for Aggies and Albury .

Reddies v Tahs - It could be a massacre or it could be a dog fight to the bitter end. I'm thinking dog fight myself . Reddies will want to make a show of it I reckon and drag Tahs into a muddy arm wrestle. . Tahs will be to good though 13 plus with a blow out at the end .

City v Tumut - Ditto for the above game ! We do have a few back this week so that will bolster the team going into semis. Tumut will be combative , they will push the city forwards no end. But to much firepower in the backs will see City home by 13 + .

Albury v Aggies - Not much riding on this one ! Win you play semis , simple. To be fair Aggies probably deserve to be in the semis - theyve had a good year under Tom Lamond. Theyd be ruing the last minute loss to Griffith and the registration mess against Tahs. Albury have hung in all year - theyve had a few very tight losses and missed out on the rub of the green at times. My heart says Albury but the head says Aggies. Aggies by a late drop goal !

City are supporting a mental health and well being round this week - very topical given recent developments with Michael Hooper and the tragic circumstances of Paul Green of NRL fame . There is no shame in talking to your mates . No shame in reaching out. We have enough issues in our world with out the needless loss of loved ones.

Thought for the day - the GF would have been played and won and preso night had if we had not had eleventy first grade byes !

Folkus

Stan Wickham (3)
Ag College scape into the Finals with a nailbiting 8-7 win over Albury yesterday.
City to host Waratahs in the major semi at 3.30pm at Conolly and Griffith will play Ag College at 1.45pm
Well done to both Ag College and Griffith in having all their 4 Teams competing in the Finals next Saturday - Good Luck !!

Athol

Peter Burge (5)
Looks like some good Finals (hopefully some of them are Streamed) this Saturday according to Rugby Explorer
1st Grade- City v Waratahs (major semi) at 3.30pm & Griffith v WAC at 1.45pm - both on Ground 1
2nd Grade- City v Griffith (major semi) at 11.05am on Ground 1 & WAC v Hay at 11.15am on Ground 2
3rd Grade - City v CSU Reddies (major semi) at 9.40am on Ground 1 & WAC v Griffith at 9.50am on Ground 2
Womens- CSU Reddies v Griffith (major semi) at 12.40pm on Ground 1 & Waratahs v WAC at 12.50pm on Ground 2

Well done to City for winning 3 Minor Premierships in the Men's Competition and the same to the CSU Reddies on taking out the Women's Minor Premiership
I hope you get good weather this Saturday

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
Everyone has City over the line as premiers. Maybe $1.25 betting proposition. Most people don’t have Waratahs as even making the GF. Last time they met Waratahs beat City. Everyone has Blacks winning on Saturday. Last time they met Blacks won but arguably the result could have gone either way with Aggies bombing a certain try dropping a ball over the line. Should be a good day of football on Saturday but surely outcomes aren’t as clear cut as what pundits are predicting. By the way would anybody take $1.25 City to win the premiership at this earl stage.

Bubba

Fred Wood (13)
Well here we are ! The business end is here . Connolly 1 is looking magnificent ( wish i could say the same for 3 and the alleged 4) and the forecast is for proper winter conditions. Massive day of Rugby !
1's
City v Tahs - I'm very wary of this game , they are after all the only side that has beaten us all year. And i think this will go down to the wire . The City boys will not be as complacent and will be at near full strength for this one and from what i gather Tahs are in a similar boat . Physically City a re a bigger side and on wet day that may prove a decisive factor. City by 5

Griffith v Aggies - Tough game regardless of result . Aggies have shown that they can hang in there and thrive in pressure siutations. I suspect though that losing Lemmich up front will be a massive issue for them. Griffith will be strong and possibly have a cast of thousands for this game. Griffith by 8
2's
City v Griffith - City has been the front runner all year and but had a big blip last week in the run to semis . Griffith is strong but City by 7

Hay v Aggies - Hay are tough no doubt but are low in numbers and aggies are fit and have heaps of numbers. Cant see any other result but an aggies win

3's
City v Reddies - I'm tipping City by 15 . Spud would kill me if I didnt tip City
Griffith V Aggies - Griffith by 12 .

Womens
Reddies v Griffith - i think this could well be match of the day in some respects . Reddies are fast and well drilled and Griffith are the same but have genuine size as well. Reddies track record speaks for itself in the womens game and i think that will continue. Reddies by 10

Tahs v Aggies - Another good game on the cards. Tahs are quick , like proper fast . But so are aggies , this could be a see sawing game so to speak . I think Tahs just a bit to polished for Aggies. Tahs by 10

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Griffith v WAC is grand final day for these guys, they’ve both gotta let it all hang out and see what happens. My expectation (based on the two games I’ve watched all year ) would be to see a strong forwards game from Griffith and for Aggies to try and stay mobile with ball in hand. A huge motivator for the Blacks will be a home game next week if they win.

If I was involved with Tahs, I’d be coasting this game and aiming for no injuries. City should be keen af to get into the GF and avoid a trip to G town next week.

Bubba

Fred Wood (13)
We saw some cracking games played on saturday. I missed the Hay v Aggies game but am told she was a ripping game . Have to give Hay credit , they dont ever give up. Obviously I am very happy from a City perspective - the job is not done and we know that.

So Tahs, Aggies , Reddies and Tahs Girls make the trip to face Griffith in all grades this saturday. Thats a very strong position for Griffith to have going into a Grand Final qualifier ! You would have to suggest that Griffith and City will be the bulk of the games next week perhaps ?

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Well done to City on having all three Men’s teams into the Big Dance, that’s a great effort and not one that I can recall another club emulating any time recently.

And wraps to Reddies Women’s team on another big year booking themselves another GF berth. They’ve definitely been a strong force in SIRU for a number of years!!

From a gate perspective, I reckon SIRU would like some more variety in the attending clubs. Not much can be done about that now.

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
I reckon the Blacks v Waratahs game in first grade is 50/50. Griffith had their best team on the paddock last Saturday. Waratahs should hold no fears coming up here on the weekend. Good field, good facilities. Whichever team wants it the most will win.

Bubba

Fred Wood (13)
I reckon the Blacks v Waratahs game in first grade is 50/50. Griffith had their best team on the paddock last Saturday. Waratahs should hold no fears coming up here on the weekend. Good field, good facilities. Whichever team wants it the most will win.
I have a phobia of writing Tahs off . Coming off the loss on the weekend you'd think its Griffiths for the taking but you cant write them off ! Griffith will be looking at where city was dominant to get the direction to win this semi final. If I was Blacks I'd be looking at Tahs set piece as a vulnerability and as a source of penalties - the ref's have shown they will reward sides with dominant legal set pieces. If i am Tahs i'm looking at that rolling maul they have (and very effective) and the speed of Day etc out wide. Tahs forwards just have to get some sort of parity and front foot ball for the backs and it changes everything this week.

As PB said whoever wants it more will get it. Me personally , I'm thinking home town advantage is very important.

Folkus

Stan Wickham (3)
Kick off Times & Referees for this Saturday's Preliminary Finals at the Exies Ground, Griffith;

11.40am - 3rd Grade- CSU Reddies v Griffith- Warwick Strong

12.35pm- 2nd Grade- Griffith v Wagga Ag.- James Martel

2.10pm- Womens'- Griffith v Waratahs- Tim Allen

3.15pm- 1st Grade- Waratahs v Griffith- Rhiana Bourke

Last edited:

Bubba

Fred Wood (13)
Thoughts and some tips tips on the preliminary finals tomorrow.

3's
Griiffith will win . Reddies havent been the best travellers of late and this may be a tough away game for them. Blacks by 20

2's
Griifith v Aggies . Aggies had a super tough hit out against Hay last week. Probably best game of the day i'm told. Griffith were dissapointing against City and would be looking to fight back at home. I'm wary of both sides ! 50/50 but i'll lean blacks due to home advantage. Griiffith 7 pl

Womens
Griffith got owned by Reddies in the first half and wont be happy about it. Theyre too good a team for that 2 weeks running. Tahs are fast and well drilled. Once again home advantage is crucial. Blacks by 5

1's
Tougher than a broken nose to pick. You'd say Blacks but Tahs have some ins this week and are too good to write off . They were 2nd in the comp for a reason. Home advantage should see the blacks home but i have nagging doubts about their point scoring ability. Its a 50/50 but i'll just put Blacks in front by 3. It'll be good viewing !

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
Went past Exies club this evening. Everything set up ready to go for a great day of rugby tomorrow. Looks good. Hope visiting clubs enjoy their day.

Bubba

Fred Wood (13)
City V Griffith in the mens grades and Reddies v Tahs in womens .

Whilst a bit more variety in the GF's in Mens would have been looked for, its also a fair representation of how the season panned out. Tahs fell at the final hurdle and many would have predicted that as it was. I thought it was Tahs for the taking at the break but errors and some inspired play by Griffith saw that dashed.

Looking forward to the week ! Lets just hope the DA can do more than a token article and preferably with the right location for the GF's on it !

Whistle Happy

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Watched the Match on Streaming- Griffith need to play 5 times better than they did on saturday to get near City.They did score 6 tries to 2 last Saturday but their play at times was very spasmodic and untidy.
City to get the Trifecta in the Men's GF's and CSU Reddies to get the Lollies in the Women's match which has the potential to be the Match of the Day

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
Did you listen to the commentary while you were watching the live stream Whistle? If you did what did you think? Pretty colorful hey?