• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Springboks - Adelaide Oval, Sat 27th August, 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
Ate all the way from Jo'burg to Adelaide by the looks.

That kick return he made at the end of the game was truly baffling. He caught it and just slowly jogged into the defence. I was expecting him to kick it or at least accelerate a little bit, but he never did. He definitely must have stopped by the buffet at halftime.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Frans has been a thicc boy for a while now

At 35 years old you’d have to think he’s pretty much doing his honour lap with the Boks and will hang up the boots after RWC23

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I haven’t watched his games much lately but pretty sure he can still kick the living piss outta the ball and fairly good goal kicker.

If they want keep playing their weird game plan into the RWC I think he makes the squad.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
That's a fair call I suppose.

With regard to the SA gameplan, what you get is what you expect. They've won a couple of world cups with it so they'll stick with it come hell or highwater. I also wonder if the persistence with this gameplan stems from them keeping more of an eye on the northern hemisphere teams and tuning their gameplan accordingly?

tragic

John Solomon (38)
6C6DB4BD-84E8-445D-A56C-A3A443BE09FF.jpeg

True dat

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Which is to completely ignore the fact that Argies have been diving for years.

I don't like it and think the penalty should have been reversed. At the same time: happy to see Faf carded for what was a reckless (and stupid) move.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
McReight was good, finding himself in the right place often, good players do that.

As mentioned on the commentary he really is an elite on ball player and teams are altering game plans for him.
I thought it was easily his best game in gold. Very hooper esq...effective at the breakdown but more impressively he was never far from the action, evidenced by the two tries. Its the type of game we really want to see from a guy who we've earmarked as a potential long term 7.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Which is to completely ignore the fact that Argies have been diving for years.

I don't like it and think the penalty should have been reversed. At the same time: happy to see Faf carded for what was a reckless (and stupid) move.

To elaborate: the single-handed arm-grab at the back of a ruck or scrum is negative, cynical play, and should be penalised out of the game.

You're not trying to get possesion, or tackle anyone, or even play the ball. And if it goes wrong and you whack someone in the chops, then go sit down and think about what you did.

Proud Pig

Ted Thorn (20)
It's a game plan that works against forward focussed sides. It can fall apart when the opposition back three play well. Try to play 10 man rugby, like a few Northern hemisphere sides do, and they will tear you a new one. To beat them you need to play 15 man rugby and neutralize or at least break even in the kicking duels.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
I guess the problem when you have a blanket rule that any contact with the head is a yellow you create this issue. A player feels any light contact and they go down to force a TMO frame by frame review.
There needs to be a degree of common sense. There’s no way that was dangerous with any significant risk of injury.
Should be a penalty at most.
These dives are creeping into the game as the reward of a card can be a game changer.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
To elaborate: the single-handed arm-grab at the back of a ruck or scrum is negative, cynical play, and should be penalised out of the game.

You're not trying to get possesion, or tackle anyone, or even play the ball. And if it goes wrong and you whack someone in the chops, then go sit down and think about what you did.
Completely agree. Was not impressed with White's dive, but Faf went the cynical play and got it wrong. So he can suck it up.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
These dives are creeping into the game as the reward of a card can be a game changer.

To balance that out, we need to penalise them when they occur. That way, everyone loses and we break the cycle.

e.g. Faf still gets his yellow, but the Boks get a penalty because White's shennanigans occurred afterward.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Unfortunately for me being a poor winner, it seems Springbok fans are actually being quite resonance and good losers.

except for that hilariously whiney journalist AP on twitter. Apparently he posted this then later on deleted his entire account, really makes me happy.
1661601553652.png

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Such an easy thing to fix too. Just force the 9 to be behind their #8's last feet. Cleaner contest and ball = better spectacle.

Status
Not open for further replies.