• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Any price details? Was always going to happen but curious how it stacks up to previous years. Can’t imagine Fox bid competitively.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Any price details? Was always going to happen but curious how it stacks up to previous years. Can’t imagine Fox bid competitively.

I actually thought they might have gone a bit hard at it.

They're losing content from their sports catalogue each year, securing a global event would at least get them a few more Kayo subscribers for a couple of months.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I actually thought they might have gone a bit hard at it.

They're losing content from their sports catalogue each year, securing a global event would at least get them a few more Kayo subscribers for a couple of months.
People would be forced to buy Kayo for 2 months but that's it they wouldn't retain it especially as it's post NRL and AFL season. Doesn't seem worth the investment. They're ditching all rugby content. Even the 7s is now gone from them (another WR (World Rugby) rights holder event).

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Rugby Series
Aus/Eng 2022

Game 1: 612,000
Game 2: 658,000
Game 3: 615,000( BVOD TBC)

Metro
Game 1: 425,000 (cons)
Game 2: 450,000 (cons)
Game 3: 445,000 (prelim)

Data: Oztam Total tv. STAN (paytv) ratings unavailable.
Sat Rugby Union
Aus/SA
Nine metro 233,000

Data: Data: Oztam prelim overnight. Regional FTA/STAN/Streams not included

LeCheese

Ken Catchpole (46)
Sat Rugby Union
Aus/SA
Nine metro 233,000

Data: Data: Oztam prelim overnight. Regional FTA/STAN/Streams not included
You'd probably expect a bit of a drop compared to Eng series, but with that number, I'm not sure we'll be getting more Saturday arvo tests anytime soon.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
yeah thats poor. I have a few mungo mates that dont mind the rah rah but didnt even know it was on. But I never trust mungos.....
Ironically the rugby was shifted to the 3:30 time slot because of the Cowboys v Rabbitohs game. Which barely outrated the rugby despite having the prime time slot.

Lesson for Nine is that Wallabies test match rates higher in prime time then NRL regular season match does. Nine can’t shift the NRL match though.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Ironically the rugby was shifted to the 3:30 time slot because of the Cowboys v Rabbitohs game. Which barely outrated the rugby despite having the prime time slot.

Lesson for Nine is that Wallabies test match rates higher in prime time then NRL regular season match does. Nine can’t shift the NRL match though.

I thought it was 3.30 so it wouldn’t clash with the All Blacks game? And they could promote the ‘triple header festival of rugby’.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Gee a great win over the Boks the week before a test in Sydney at the new stadium could not be better timed though. Hopefully big numbers.

Crashy

Nev Cottrell (35)
Gee a great win over the Boks the week before a test in Sydney at the new stadium could not be better timed though. Hopefully big numbers.
think the stadium is sold out so you would expect flow-on to viewer numbers. A few at the Wobbs game may come in hot from the Shute Shleld final as well so could be good atmosphere...

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
think the stadium is sold out so you would expect flow-on to viewer numbers. A few at the Wobbs game may come in hot from the Shute Shleld final as well so could be good atmosphere...

Right. I thought the SS final was today??

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I thought it was 3.30 so it wouldn’t clash with the All Blacks game? And they could promote the ‘triple header festival of rugby’.
It could have been played in prime-time at 7:30AEST and still not clashed with the All Blacks game, which is normally how the matches between Aus/NZ are scheduled.

Nine didn't want it at 7:30 as they already had the NRL for that time slot on Nine primary channel, so it's a choice between pushing the Wallabies to Nine GEM or a 3:30 time slot.