• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2022

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Div 1 - Colts Friday night on the Plastique. Grade matches on Woollahra #1 and #2 Saturday.

Weather for the eastern suburbs looking a mite dodgy in the leadup, and while it doesn't appear to be a lot in it in terms of volume, combined with a full day of matches on Woollahra #2, won't make for a happy groundskeeper come Monday morning.

1661910978463.png

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Div 2 - away from the coast the weather is a little more Spring-like. Still some rain but lower volumes and percentages:

1661911352605.png

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
And why would the ref ask Savers if they wanted the YC?! Thats was simply not on here...

There's an easy explanation, watching the video : https://nswrugby.tv/rugby-union/suburban-rugby/div-4-1st-grade-mclean-cup/216248/

Go to about 1:33:05 where Savers have the ball inside their half. Game clock says 77:20
At the next tackle, Epping 14 on the ground playing at the ball - maybe thinking he'd ripped it.
Whistle blows, and ref indicates not rolling.
One of the Savers' players was looking to tap and play on quickly.
As he's doing so, Epping 14 gets up and pushes Savers ?22?, and the ref goes the double-blast straight away.
Ref is walking to the mark, Savers ?6? gestures and must have said something.
Ref - who is already reaching for his pocket - responds with "Do you want the yellow card or not?"

Not sure anything controversial is going on there. He's made his mind up about the decision and is probably sick of players from both sides giving him advice.

EDIT: worth noting Black 6 was a little objectionable when he got the yellow card earlier in the game, so if he was chirping a lot it is no wonder the ref was a little short with him.

Last edited:

The Wombat

Herbert Moran (7)
There's an easy explanation, watching the video : https://nswrugby.tv/rugby-union/suburban-rugby/div-4-1st-grade-mclean-cup/216248/

Go to about 1:33:05 where Savers have the ball inside their half. Game clock says 77:20
At the next tackle, Epping 14 on the ground playing at the ball - maybe thinking he'd ripped it.
Whistle blows, and ref indicates not rolling.
One of the Savers' players was looking to tap and play on quickly.
As he's doing so, Epping 14 gets up and pushes Savers ?22?, and the ref goes the double-blast straight away.
Ref is walking to the mark, Savers ?6? gestures and must have said something.
Ref - who is already reaching for his pocket - responds with "Do you want the yellow card or not?"

Not sure anything controversial is going on there. He's made his mind up about the decision and is probably sick of players from both sides giving him advice.
Spot on here. Nothing controversial at all, the ref was simply saying “do you want the yellow” as a way of communicating Savers had the advantage and they better control themselves.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Then you obviously missed the Epping player try and kick the Savers #10 while he was on the ground...
When I have time, I will get the game time from the replay and repost it here...

You obviously missed the bit where I said "some of which weren't that dangerous", indicating that I found some of them to actually be dangerous and worthy of sanction.

I saw the incident to which you refer; know exactly where it is in the clip.

However, I'm not discussing it because I'm a firm believer in letting the onfield team sort it out. Short of that, the post-match observation from both clubs will deliver a citing, or it won't. At this point any citings might still be in flight so it isn't my place to stick my oar in.

Last edited:

Eastcoast

Larry Dwyer (12)
Watched a few of the finals over the week at work.

Div 2- Some good games in the higher grades - Lindfield and HV a cut above. Hills and Barker just prolonged their Mad Monday by 1 week and lucky to get an extra game. Should be good games this week. Newport HV GF???

Div 4 - The amount of diving that went on in those games was ridiculous. Players staying down to get a Penalty and then jumping up once given and playing on was ridiculous. Manly 10 was lucky not to have a blue card the amount of times he went down, as with the Redfield 15 in 2's. The Oysters Redfield first grade game put me to sleep. Are those lights match quality???

Div 1 Wrap to come - Love Finals time in September!

Eastcoast

Larry Dwyer (12)
Div 1 - Kentwell.

HH - Petersham. Was a good account last week. Both teams tried to play around the mud, so this week on the beautiful synthetic surface should be different. Rain wont impact this one. Petersham have some solid ball runners and good structure, although we should have enough in the tank to win by 7.

Mosman - St Pats. I can smell an ambush coming for Mosman. Pats lose 8 games in the year and still playing finals football. Pats have a solid enough structure and if they get a few calls their way, could lead to Mosman chasing the game which I dont feel is their strong suit. Close one either way. Ill back an ambush which Mosman will sneak away from. Mosman by 1 after the bell.

Whoever wins Mosman and Pats will beat Colleagues in week 2.

The Wombat

Herbert Moran (7)
That wouldn't be difficult to achieve... From what I have heard, Easts look after Woollahra - as synthetic grounds do require regular upkeep and maintenance, whereas Latham does not receive such luxuries.
I haven’t played on Latham but have played at Easts. Quite like the synthetic turf, found it easier to get traction in the scrum vs the average grass field.

Funny

Stan Wickham (3)
Mosman - St Pats. I can smell an ambush coming for Mosman. Pats lose 8 games in the year and still playing finals football. Pats have a solid enough structure and if they get a few calls their way, could lead to Mosman chasing the game which I dont feel is their strong suit. Close one either way. Ill back an ambush which Mosman will sneak away from. Mosman by 1 after the bell.

Whoever wins Mosman and Pats will beat Colleagues in week 2.
St Pats will be better led tomorrow and for once, the outside backs will get ball. You heard it here first. Pat's by 6.

Eastcoast

Larry Dwyer (12)
St Pats will be better led tomorrow and for once, the outside backs will get ball. You heard it here first. Pat's by 6.
Is the captain back from injury? This does tip the scales.

With the weather predicted - are you sure the outside backs will see the ball? Could be the fastest track in the world and the rolling maul would still come out.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
What sort of shape is Woollahra #2 in? A little bit of rain overnight and through Saturday, plus 4 games prior, and it might not be the fastest deck.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
What sort of shape is Woollahra #2 in? A little bit of rain overnight and through Saturday, plus 4 games prior, and it might not be the fastest deck.
Some games have been moved to Daceyville. No 2 is not being used anymore.

EDIT - 1 game at Daceyville. 1 Sutherland Cup at No 2. The rest on Woollahra No 1.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I'm seeing Sutherland Colleagues v Waverley postponed? (https://rugbyresults.fusesport.com/drawresult.asp?id=1342244&seasonid=989)

As you say, Daceyville has Hunters Hill v Petersham Kentwell at 1530. I suppose they're the least impacted by being at a separate ground as their 2nd Grade aren't playing.

Woollahra #1 will be rocking tomorrow. Where do teams warm up in those parts?
0900 Judd Cup - Colleagues v Forest
1000 Judd Cup - Mosman v Hunters Hill
1100 Whiddon Cup - Hunters Hill v Colleagues
1210 Whiddon Cup - Mosman v St Pats
1320 Burke Cup - Mosman v Colleagues
1440 Burke Cup - St Pats v Forest
1600 Kentwell Cup - Mosman v St Pats

Last edited:

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Looking at Colts tonight on nswrugby.tv - weather seems a bit unsettled. Kick receipt and lineout throwing might be a bit tricky in that wind. Maybe a few spits of rain thrown in, otherwise the surface looks firm ;)

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
Looking at Colts tonight on nswrugby.tv - weather seems a bit unsettled. Kick receipt and lineout throwing might be a bit tricky in that wind. Maybe a few spits of rain thrown in, otherwise the surface looks firm ;)
Hate to see the Knox team WhatsApp