• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Yesterday I caught the end of Offsiders and saw it was a 1-hour special. So I watched it back on iView to get a rough breakdown of how ABCTV is covering sport. Guests with Kelli Underwood were Caroline Wilson, Paul Kennedy, and every rugby fan's favourite: Roy Masters :)

* First 18 minutes of content was on AFL finals. And they were all crackers - some would argue the best week of finals the AFL has had this century. For a product that is excellent to watch live, it was also promoted correctly on TV and is given every chance by the owners to make it prominent.
* Next 5 minutes was AFLW.
* Another 11ish minutes on the US Open - most of which was Serena Williams' exit.
* Matildas soccer 3 minutes.
* Wallabies 3 minutes - generally game talking points about Bok dominance but also the overly technical nature and the lack of flow with TMO jumping in.
* ODI Cricket for 3 minutes.

Each guest got a final thoughts piece, and Masters had to give a comment about rugby being softer than loig but what's new?

The prominent one for me was the off season goings-on at Essendon where the new coach is clearing house. That will keep the papers going for a couple of months in AFL states, particularly as draft kicks off.

This shows where we are at; basically covered in the back end as a national sport because that is the level of interest we rate. Worth noting the presenters weren't writing us off, but that the game has issues.

I am all for women's sport dont get me wrong & I am a HUGE 7's fan. I just find the abc & sen (radio station in melb) constant over the top promotion of aflw. 2 weekends ago the Storm completely sold out Aami park & was the game of the season v Easts, there was more ppl at the storm game than all aflw combined yet they refuse to go into depth about the storm at all or even mention Rugby. We are selling out stadiums & not being supported.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
This shows where we are at; basically covered in the back end as a national sport because that is the level of interest we rate. Worth noting the presenters weren't writing us off, but that the game has issues.
If you want more air time, then you need to give presenters more to talk about. AFL had 4 finals over the weekend compared to the one Wallabies game which was pretty dour.

That works out to be roughly 4.5 minutes per game compared to the 3 minutes the single games of the Matildas, Wallabies and Cricket was given.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
If you want more air time, then you need to give presenters more to talk about. AFL had 4 finals over the weekend compared to the one Wallabies game which was pretty dour.

That works out to be roughly 4.5 minutes per game compared to the 3 minutes the single games of the Matildas, Wallabies and Cricket was given.
The lack of a professional national comp at this time of year hurts, I not sure of answer, and would take a few years to build up support, but that's what I felt was problem when I lived over there. Admittedly I was getting my rugby fix through NPC, but I a kiwi and very invested in it, just I felt there was not a lot to keep many fans interested.

Crashy

Nev Cottrell (35)
I used to watch Offsiders a lot but haven't for a while.. Kelly clearly ( and absolutely fair enough to her) wants to push women's sport as much as she can, but it has meant its not really a balanced show anymore. Especially as she is a massive AFL fan. Represents the popularity of the sport I guess, but reminds me a bit of watching SBS sport when some Olyroos game used to be the headline story!

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
I used to watch Offsiders a lot but haven't for a while.. Kelly clearly ( and absolutely fair enough to her) wants to push women's sport as much as she can, but it has meant its not really a balanced show anymore. Especially as she is a massive AFL fan. Represents the popularity of the sport I guess, but reminds me a bit of watching SBS sport when some Olyroos game used to be the headline story!
Its the same catch 22 for Australian rugby (Kelly) just represents the majority of the audience, the AFL will throw millions at the AFWL over the next few years to make sure it totally dominates the Female sports market in this country. Australian rugby will face the same issue as with the mens game, the Women will get its two weeks in the Sun come 2027 but the same total lack of domestic market penetration below that will it ensure thats all it will ever be.
RA will throw some cash to make sure it puts out a competitive top 15, but the whole roof without a floor thing blah,blah,blah
I know i go on about it but ffs until the game here gets real about the domestic market nothing is ever gonna change.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Do you think she determines what gets aired?

I would have thought that there would be an editorial decision on what gets promoted.

There seems to be more air time given to women's sport than ratings and attendance should dictate, I think the biggest rugby pieces in the last year or so have been because someone sang the national anthem in another language and indigenous jersey stories.

I think the ABC has its own priorities and it is not necessarily to promote popular sports.

I still watch though as I have for many years.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
No AFL on FTA on a Saturday anymore, NRL at least what we get on Melbourne is Thursday, Friday and Sunday same as the AFL’s TV deal.

Surely rugby makes its prime slot Saturday night

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
No AFL on FTA on a Saturday anymore, NRL at least what we get on Melbourne is Thursday, Friday and Sunday same as the AFL’s TV deal.

Surely rugby makes its prime slot Saturday night

Not at least for the first 15 rounds, with the exception of any marquee matches...

The only Saturday night matches on FTA otherwise will be in the last 8 rounds.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
Not at least for the first 15 rounds, with the exception of any marquee matches...

The only Saturday night matches on FTA otherwise will be in the last 8 rounds.
And Super Rugby will most likely be finished by then. That’s why I didn’t mention it.

For test footy I like mid week options

LeCheese

Ken Catchpole (46)
And Super Rugby will most likely be finished by then. That’s why I didn’t mention it.

For test footy I like mid week options
On the midweek games - we can’t really see them as a viable option longer term can we?

Historically midweek games do lower numbers on telly, lower numbers to the ground, undoubtedly those in attendance spend less in and around the venue, fewer watching in pubs across the country/world, etc.

Remains to be seen how the bled stacks up on a Thursday, but are we just trying to tap a market that doesn’t really exist?

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
On the midweek games - we can’t really see them as a viable option longer term can we?

Historically midweek games do lower numbers on telly, lower numbers to the ground, undoubtedly those in attendance spend less in and around the venue, fewer watching in pubs across the country/world, etc.

Remains to be seen how the bled stacks up on a Thursday, but are we just trying to tap a market that doesn’t really exist?

I think there is some fantasy where mid-week test matches become our State of Origin.

That product is unique in itself and I simply don't feel people going along to a test match are going to get as 'involved' from a tribalism standpoint that the SOO supporters do.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Australian rugby will face the same issue as with the mens game, the Women will get its two weeks in the Sun come 2027 but the same total lack of domestic market penetration below that will ensure thats all it will ever be.

Yep. The next 5 years (arguably next 5 months, given the decisions RA need to make this year about the future direction of the pro game) will be the last throw of the dice on that front.

If the only thing we get is a rejigged iteration of Souper Aotearoa then, sadly, we're fucked.

Rugby Australia will throw some cash to make sure it puts out a competitive top 15, but the whole roof without a floor thing blah,blah,blah
True, but a competitive Test team is not a given either.

Maybe competitive means being ranked in the top 15, though? What are we now, 8th?

I know i go on about it but ffs until the game here gets real about the domestic market nothing is ever gonna change.
One hundred percent. It's at a point in the cycle where there's an all-too-rare chance to take some control back within our borders. I really hope RA don't fold their cards on that without taking a shot.

Have a go, yer mugs...

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
And just to push the point, the AFL have just signed a new broacast deal $642 Million a year (just get your head around that) with the big statement that it will now have the money to target grassroots participation.
So who do you think they are going to target.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
And just to push the point, the AFL have just signed a new broacast deal $642 Million a year (just get your head around that) with the big statement that it will now have the money to target grassroots participation.
So who do you think they are going to target.

Considering their Auskick program is probably the strongest junior (as in very young kids) sports team setup in Australia, you'd have to think this extra funding will go towards schools.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The AFL Commission recently agreed upon no less than 10% of revenue going towards community football...

So yeah, that's around $70 million per year towards the grassroots.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Considering their Auskick program is probably the strongest junior (as in very young kids) sports team setup in Australia, you'd have to think this extra funding will go towards schools.

More junior clubs with the priority to get young girls involved, schools not so much

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
Have a listen to the latest Pick & Drive Podcast (season 3 episode35) they have a chat with Annika Jamieson

Sums a lot of the issues up.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
More junior clubs with the priority to get young girls involved, schools not so much

Makes sense to get the girls involved.

You don't think they'd throw a decent chunk into some of the private schools in QLD and NSW? Rugby numbers in general have been dropping from what I understand. I've got mates teaching and coaching at a number of them around QLD who reckon in the last few years they've seen a higher engagement and player satisfaction at training during AFL season than rugby.

There are lots of reasons behind that, maybe it's because they're playing a sport they haven't been thrown into since age 5 or maybe they just prefer the skill set. Regardless, you'd think we'll be seeing at least a few dollars thrown that direction.

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)

You don't think they'd throw a decent chunk into some of the private schools in QLD and NSW? Rugby numbers in general have been dropping from what I understand. I've got mates teaching and coaching at a number of them around QLD who reckon in the last few years they've seen a higher engagement and player satisfaction at training during AFL season than rugby.

There are lots of reasons behind that, maybe it's because they're playing a sport they haven't been thrown into since age 5 or maybe they just prefer the skill set. Regardless, you'd think we'll be seeing at least a few dollars thrown that direction.
My kids go to a large QLD secondary school 3000 kids, they have AFL & NRL as a full subject option for kids for the winter term Girls & Boys. Rugby Union is not even an option, they try to put a team out each year but apparantly its very much a hit & miss.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)

That could potentially be the case, the afl have always been miles ahead of all other codes interms of junior & community investment.

It cost a kid to do Auskick for the year $100 in which you get a footy, a flag for your fav club, footy cards, a drink bottle, a game where they get to play on the ground at half time of an afl game with free entry & a footy bag or boot bag. Every other sport is at least double that with a uniform on top.