• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2023

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
if this is a recurrent LisFranc he may well miss another season
It’s a big concern to be back in a boot, it is standard to have two operations when you suffer a Lisfranc fracture as they don’t leave the plates in. But it’s normally a minor procedure taking them out.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Pro : Narre Warren South are the next school to get a RV academy program.

Con : Trev in a moon boot & on crutches

View attachment 14699
Not that it’s large, but Victoria might have one of the better state school representation in the near future. If could get a couple more private schools to buy in and contest same 2/3 decent programs each year then some good results on the horizon.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Not that it’s large, but Victoria might have one of the better state school representation in the near future. If could get a couple more private schools to buy in and contest same 2/3 decent programs each year then some good results on the horizon.

Aps system is a good one, from what everyone on here involved says the standard could be better & a few more scolarships could be awarded.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Scholarships in APS are harder to come by, but they are finding creative ways. I heard of an AFL player going in on a music scholarship so he could play for the school. Not sure who it is, but apparently a ripper talent and a good Electric Guitar player too :)

I think you will find school management at StK is not so in favour of sporting scholarships.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Apparently today we're going to announce the signing of Monty Ioane. Pretty tasty backline with Kellaway, Hodge & Ioane now. Still massive question marks over the rest of the backline, both Gordon and Tuttle need to step up and we need to settle on the young centres.

Also it seems that this collaboration with QPR is a Stiles lead initiative. Trying to get around being a team with imports and no cohesion (and little money). Apparently with help from the QPR work and stuff like the Japan tour, there'll be a solid group of the team who've played 12-15 matches together outside of Super this year. Sounds nice in theory, let's see if we actually get somewhere.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Apparently today we're going to announce the signing of Monty Ioane. Pretty tasty backline with Kellaway, Hodge & Ioane now. Still massive question marks over the rest of the backline, both Gordon and Tuttle need to step up and we need to settle on the young centres.

Also it seems that this collaboration with QPR is a Stiles lead initiative. Trying to get around being a team with imports and no cohesion (and little money). Apparently with help from the QPR work and stuff like the Japan tour, there'll be a solid group of the team who've played 12-15 matches together outside of Super this year. Sounds nice in theory, let's see if we actually get somewhere.
It definitely makes some sense, but like you say they still need to actually do something with it. I wouldn't be surprised if Stiles is looking to build a similar relationship with a Shute Shield side, like they have with Wests. It'd open their options up a bit and off set the exposure to a single competition/team that they don't have much say in running to manage their development.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I can't work out how the Rebels have 36 currently contracted (reference the front page) with Matt Gibbon and Monty Ioane at least still to come.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
That explains this weirdo tweet from Melbourne Rebels Marketing Pidgeon.

1662960189888.png

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I can't work out how the Rebels have 36 currently contracted (reference the front page) with Matt Gibbon and Monty Ioane at least still to come.
Do squads have an actual player limit or just a salary cap? Could some be extended squad?

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Will become wallaby eligible just in time for the lions tour
I'm so curious about how Monty will turn out. I've been let down by NH players coming south before and I'm also wary of one trick ponies who can finish off a try and look flashy but lack the meat & potatoes.

Then at the same time, if he can look stellar for Italy in the 6Ns then the man must be good.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
I'm sure there is, it's part of the overall salary cap settings. Not exactly sure what it is and how extended/academy places fit in right now though, covid may have muddied the water there too. It was 30 in the past for core squad, but I believe it grew to 35 or 36 in 2018 after the force were axed.

its it all changing to the system like cricket where the top 25 or so are contracted by RA then the rest by Super Rugby clubs?

Wilson

David Codey (61)
its it all changing to the system like cricket where the top 25 or so are contracted by Rugby Australia then the rest by Super Rugby clubs?
It hasn't yet and I believe that would require a new CBA. Either way I can't see them scrapping squad size restrictions and salary caps, they're just about the only mechanism available for distributing talent around the nation.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
It hasn't yet and I believe that would require a new CBA. Either way I can't see them scrapping squad size restrictions and salary caps, they're just about the only mechanism available for distributing talent around the nation.

I just men't that the likes of Hodge, Kellaway & Leota would not be included in the squad. Agree their wage would have to fit into Super Rugby cap.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I just men't that the likes of Hodge, Kellaway & Leota would not be included in the squad. Agree their wage would have to fit into Super Rugby cap.
They would absolutely still be included in squad size calculations. If they're not you'll just see the Reds/Tahs/Brumbies warehousing all the talent off the back of superior Wallaby numbers.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
They would absolutely still be included in squad size calculations. If they're not you'll just see the Reds/Tahs/Brumbies warehousing all the talent off the back of superior Wallaby numbers.

I thought that was the point of going to the Cricket aus system. Nsw have the same amount of players in their squad as SA & the CA contracted players are not counted as in the state sqauds. Im pretty Ireland ru do this as well.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I thought that was the point of going to the Cricket aus system. Nsw have the same amount of players in their squad as SA & the CA contracted players are not counted as in the state sqauds. Im pretty Ireland ru do this as well.

the difference between CA and RA is that our players actually play for their states. The NSW cricket team would be almost completely amateur otherwise.