• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2022 Bledisloe Cup. Wallabies vs All Blacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
It looked close didn't it. I assume the AR (and hopefully TMO) saw it grounded in before his arm touched over the line. I was hoping for a low angle slowmo to see it for ourselves.
He didn’t check that, he didn’t ask for vision to check the Jake Gordon yellow, but he reversed a penalty for taking 39 fucking seconds (include the time out) to kick the ball to touch. There is no time limit on that BTW, it’s up to the referees discretion, however there is a defined 90 second time limit on kicks for goal which (as advertised clearly on Twitter) the ABs exceeded twice - the sanction for that is the kicks are disallowed. There is 4 points that come back to us therefore the game is awarded to the Wallabies and the Bledisloe is still alive.

Raynall can go fuck himself and if World Rugby do nothing about this so can they. And no BR, this is not on Foley its on Raynall - it’s fairly clear Foley doesn’t hear him say ‘ten’ 3 seconds after calling time back on and even if he did he goes to kick it straight away.

Mr Huge

Stan Wickham (3)
Rugby is a weird one -- given the amount of grey areas in the laws, and the fact that many of them can't be policed literally without ruining the game (e.g. ruck laws), refs could perhaps use a framework of "What will the reaction be if I don't make this call?"

For instance, if he didn't reverse the penalty and allowed Foley to simply kick the ball out when he asked, would hordes of All Blacks fans been up in arms and screamed "He was wasting time!! What an unfair ruling! I can't spake! World Rugby needs to review such rampant corruption"

No. The answer is clearly fucking no. Foley "wasting time" (which he wasn't) had no fucking impact on the game.

If you read the news tomorrow you'd probably assume that Foley tried to wax his back, learn Portugese via completing the relevant Duolingo course and polish off Tolstoy's War & Peace before taking the kick.

In reality - as shown on the replay - the time that elapsed between the ref 'warning' Foley and then blowing the whistle was three seconds. Three fucking seconds. Can you even waste three seconds? What is the smallest unit by which time can be wasted?

The crowd and fans are not here to watch you, or marvel at your understanding of the rule book. It was entirely unnecessary, and no one would have blinked a fucking eyelid if he DIDN'T call it.
It was certainly a new decision. No ref's ever police it. Doesn't mean it was wrong though.

I also think having White and Foley and others in the ref's ear most night doesn't help. If you got the ref on your side he probably doesn't make that call.
Disagree entirely - the watch work for all referees is “consistency”. There’s such a huge amount of refereeing done in “the grey” that a lack of consistency is a recipe for very poor outcomes and is therefore the definition of wrong!

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Foley did a very Post-Departure-Quade job - experienced, calm head, with not a shortage of talent or ability to take on the line and create space.

BUT he missed some tackles. So there's that.
He also made one beauty on Clarke in full gallop. Its not his strength, as we already knew. I think he is a bit quicker than Noah over 15m and his passing is better. It was a pretty good performance but it took a while for him to get up to speed.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
I'm still in disbelief of how bad that call from the ref was. The lineout was going to be the last play of the game regardless, so killing time was not changing anything

The mental gymnastics of All Black fans to somehow say this is justified is quite pathetic really. The same people that sent death threats to Barnes for missing a pass in the 50th minute of a game

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Foley did a very Post-Departure-Quade job - experienced, calm head, with not a shortage of talent or ability to take on the line and create space.

BUT he missed some tackles. So there's that.
He grew into the game and played well by the end of it, but his kicking remains an issue. It's not something he necessarily needs to (or can) change at this stage, but I think we probably need Hodge or Petaia out there to give options for distance. Paisami at 12 might also help, but I don't think you can drop Foketi immediately after that performance.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
How do you know what he saw? We can only see what the cameras show and surely he was in a better position.
I actually sid to mate, if they didn't get it he was playing advantage, and good chance of Slipper could well of had a yellow anyway? But if he had doubt the TMO would of checked anyway?

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I've been watching for near on 30 years. I don't remember seeing a 'delay of game' penalty ever. It's a MASSIVE deviation. Just like the final Lions match in NZ, a complete deviation. That's French flair for you (flair is short for incompetence in this situation).
There's a Netflix show, where I basketball ref makes these type of calls.... I'm not accusing the ref, but these are the type of calls that make people suspect.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
If Tom Wright plays next game then I don't know what Rennie is smoking. That try is on his idiotic penalty. How many times has he been carded in test matches now?
And hw was lucky Gordon got (wrongly in my opinion) yced as he would of copped one I think and that would of been 2nd so a RC.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Ah what a game to goto. I didn’t know Marvel could put on a show like that, the pre match build up was great with all the lights and fireworks. Far cry from some poor sod playing Sweet Caroline over the PA from his phone at AAMI park to 27 rebels fans. Genuinely felt like there 50/50 all blacks fans to wallabies, oh well.

I was in the far up seats which were better than expected for an oval stadium, still, had to piece together a lot of the game. Was explaining it to fans around me with one mum asking if all the stoppages was normal and the kiwi fans next to me saying it was the worst game they’ve ever seen lol.

Obviously I’m ducking gutted to lose like that, can’t wait to see this “use it” call actually feature more now the precedent is here. I remember the Welsh fucking us a few years ago by whittling away an entire 10 minutes by tying their shoelaces and combing their hair.
Buuuuut it showed promise, when we were meant to get an absolute hiding. Who were the kiwis missing? Let the world sleep on us, add in Hooper, Bell, Kerevi, Quade, Paisami, Tupou, we got that game. Gives me a sliver of confidence for next year.

the same 5 players tonight we’re putting in amazing efforts for the full 80, so impressive. Also, what happened to Leota? Limped off after a good opening 30 and I spied him on crutches at the end. Any commentary on that? Thought my boy had a great game, crucial pilfer there.

Leota they said Calf same as Slipper

Wilson

David Codey (61)
In a positive I think we may have landed on our first choice backrow last night, 6 Samu, 7 McReight, 8 Valetini looked very good as a unit. Pretty easy to slot Hooper back into 7 when he's ready there too.

Locks a bit of a mystery though, Holloway's game has deteriorated since his debut, but Swain should be out for a while and even if he's not I'm not sure he should be picked again. Probably Phillip/Neville next week, but neither are really 80 minute test players, at least right now.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
I heard one of the radio personalities refer to it as a code killer this morning and he was 100% correct. Between the intercept yellow cards and this type of rubbish rugby is self immolating.
The crowds want to watch a 15 v 15 contest where the best side wins.
Not a game that is decided by the whim of a referee or a TMO interjection and card based on a frame by frame replay.
NRL and AFL are pissing themselves laughing.
Foley was a flog for not kicking it earlier but should that really determine which side is the better team and who deserves to hold the bled cup? Of course not.
I won’t watch next week: couldn’t give a shit who wins. If we win it means the bled was lost on a French whim. If we lose so what - we already have.
I chucked my platinum reds membership which I had for 15yrs a few years back because the cards and TMO had killed the game for me. No longer watch Super rugby.
The red card in the French test was the last game I watched live - I have decided to save my money due to the risk of wasting it on a dud game killed by a random card. In a bygone era I would have flown to Melbourne to watch the game. Thank Christ I didn’t bother.
I’ve just cancelled Stan sport as I can’t be bothered watching the rest of TRC.
It’s weekend club rugby from now on until World rugby sorts this shit out.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
How was NZ first try allowed? The number 2 is clearly out when he grounds the ball. His arm is completely over the sideline? TMO? AR? Blind?
My seats where on level 3 in that corner, I don't know how it wasn't checked. From my seat I said he could be out here.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I heard one of the radio personalities refer to it as a code killer this morning and he was 100% correct. Between the intercept yellow cards and this type of rubbish rugby is self immolating.
The crowds want to watch a 15 v 15 contest where the best side wins.
Not a game that is decided by the whim of a referee or a TMO interjection and card based on a frame by frame replay.
NRL and AFL are pissing themselves laughing.
Foley was a flog for not kicking it earlier but should that really determine which side is the better team and who deserves to hold the bled cup? Of course not.
I won’t watch next week: couldn’t give a shit who wins. If we win it means the bled was lost on a French whim. If we lose so what - we already have.
I chucked my platinum reds membership which I had for 15yrs a few years back because the cards and TMO had killed the game for me. No longer watch Super rugby.
The red card in the French test was the last game I watched live - I have decided to save my money due to the risk of wasting it on a dud game killed by a random card. In a bygone era I would have flown to Melbourne to watch the game. Thank Christ I didn’t bother.
I’ve just cancelled Stan sport as I can’t be bothered watching the rest of TRC.
It’s weekend club rugby from now on until World rugby sorts this shit out.

SRgGG3.gif

tragic

John Solomon (38)
Nah mate - it’s really long past that.
My interest has been slowly declining for years as the new tackle frameworks and officiating gradually ruin the game.
You’ll notice I was mostly absent from the super forums this year because I just didn’t watch it.
I want to see rugby not endless stoppages and slow motion replays and games decided by cards and frame by frame analysis.
There is the rare gem of a game where it is allowed to flow and there’s nothing controversial but it’s no longer the norm. Last night could have been one of those games.
Quite happy to accept that not all will feel the same way but I’m done.
Enjoy the forum fellas

Status
Not open for further replies.