• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bledisloe 2. Eden Park, 24th Sept 7.05pm NZT. 5.05 pm AEST, 3.05 WA

Status
Not open for further replies.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Isn’t 20 years long enough for the exception to be here by now? It’s been that long since we were good

no one is asking for an unbeatable team. We just ask every couple of decades if we can have a competitive one
TT, if we want a competitive team we should forget the idea of running rugby. If we focus on a strong and capable pack and backs that can focus on keeping the ball rather than one-off runs and losing the ball we might get somewhere.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
?? Why do I justify or otherwise supposed head hits etc. I merely said I was leaving opinions on how test went until later .whem everyone had calmed down a bit, and somehow it got to I was justifying something
That's a cliched response these days it normally goes 'so your happy for children to die!'

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
TT, if we want a competitive team we should forget the idea of running rugby. If we focus on a strong and capable pack and backs that can focus on keeping the ball rather than one-off runs and losing the ball we might get somewhere.
I don't think this has ever been the case for a team under Rennie. They're more than happy to play a kick and territory gameplan.

It just doesn't work due to a combination of; a poor line out, someone giving away an attacking penalty or someone making a critical mistake.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
I’ve been critical of Rennie in the past, mainly because I expected a transformation like he did at the chiefs. But the problem is far larger than him

The development coaches in Australia have a lot to answer for, our players seem to have zero rugby nous and tactical and positional understanding, and that needs to be taught well before Wallaby level

I disagree that we don’t have the talent. The world number 1’s starting winger couldn’t even make the Brumbies squad. It’s about the lack of rugby IQ in this country

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
No one is blaming the officiating for the loss. What people are complaining about is selective application of the laws of the game in a manner that brings into question both the judgement and impartiality of the officiating team, especially when there is clear video evidence of foul play that is ignored. FWIW I predicted 40-0.
Plus the demise of the spectacle and constant whistle blowing by pedantic referees. It is killing the game.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
Apart from discipline, what annoyed me was the support lines ran and the body height in contact.

Far too often a break would be made and there was no one running a support line, which limits the options of the ball carrier and makes it easy for the defence to pick them off. As two examples off the top of my head, it happened with Holloway's break, and it happened with Wright's (albeit stupid) tap and go.

And then our body height when taking the ball into contact is simply way too high, and made it easy for the ABs to either hold the ball up or slow everything down. We've got the same problem with cleanouts as well. They're going in too high and are unable to dislodge opposing players effectively.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Viking: McRight is the captain but can't hold a starting spot, several times after he came on I watched him geeing guys up and was trying to lead from the front. Tate is a bit like White back chats the ref and gets down when the game is not going to plan as it often does.

McReight is one for the future. Probably the only one who is one the right path to live up to the hype. But currently it's justified he can't hold a starting spot. He isn't the best 7. Samu has been best on field for the wallabies (or close to it) 2 games in a row now.

I think post RWC, maybe we see McReight Captain and a new era.

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
Anyway, I thought the ABs won the test in the tight 5, front row were good and BBBR and SW were much better than their opposites. AB backline was able to function pretty well with bloody good ball, and Jordie Barrett wasn't far off best player on the field. He played a game not to dissimilar to Havili, but with a bit more power I thought.
For Wallabies I thought tighties were pretty average, Pete Samu was bloody good in losing pack, felt a lot for Valetini as he had to do a lot of tight work so blunted his strength I thought. Backs I thought never really got enough front foot ball to do anything, and perhaps lacked any players that could turm it for them.
And perhaps the 26 or whatever missed tackles by Wallabies didn't help, I actually felt for Petaia, he looked a little lost defending at centre.
Petaia has played over 20 Tests? How long are we waiting to see his potential?

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
Listening to the post match presser, Slipper is just to ‘aw shucks’ to be captain for me. He seems way to satisfied with every loss. He’s excited and confident apparently

the old saying sometimes rings true. Show me a good loser and I’ll show you a loser

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
1) That should never be a reason to not fire a coach
2) Not specific games, it’s more the fact that the team just hasn’t improved since he took over 3 years ago. Not all his fault but he looks completely out of ideas

what is the fear in getting rid of him and replacing him with DC or MacKellar or any local coach? We can’t really get much worse

What's the point of replacing a coach with one that isn't any better?

I think the logical thing to do in this scenario is to hold him until the RWC, then you potentially have Scott Robinson and Eddie Jones on the market.
If you don't snag one of those then you go to plan B and give McKellar a crack. He will at least have another year of international experience, and a RWC campaign to reference - even if that reference is a "what not to do" experience.

But my thoughts personally are that the wallabies have such ingrained cultural deficiencies, especially around basic skills, that it's going to be a long-term solution to build skills in these players. We have to face facts that with the current crop of players, the Australia international coach, whoever that is, must spend time building basic skills and teaching basic rugby knowledge.

This will take time. A 4 year stint from the coach is probably too short. They probably need 4 years to build skills alone.

Skills should be taught before international level, so Rugby Australia really need to sort there shit out otherwise I just see coach after coach with the same deteriorating win record.

Last edited:

hifflepiff

Charlie Fox (21)
What's the point of replacing a coach with one that isn't any better?

I think the logical thing to do in this scenario is to hold him until the RWC, then you potentially have Scott Robinson and Eddie Jones on the market.
If you don't snag one of those then you go to plan B and give McKellar a crack. He will at least have another year of international experience, and a RWC campaign to reference - even if that reference is a "what not to do" experience.

But my thought personally are that the wallabies have such ingrained cultural deficiencies, especially around basic skills, that it's going to be a long-term solution to build skills in these players. We have to face facts that we the current crop of players the Australia international coach, whoever that is, must spend time building basic skills and teaching basic rugby knowledge.

This will take time. A 4 year stint from the coach is probably too short. They probably need 4 years to build skills alone.

Skills should be taught before international level, so Rugby Australia really need to sort there shit out otherwise I just see coach after coach with the same deteriorating win record.
This is the main issue, everyone's obsessed with finding short term solutions to long term problems.

If players don't have the skills by the time they're professionals, you're already cooked.

The only way the Wallabies get better is if we get more kids playing the game and better pathways. Thats a long term investment, not a short term band aid.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
This is the main issue, everyone's obsessed with finding short term solutions to long term problems.

If players don't have the skills by the time they're professionals, you're already cooked.

The only way the Wallabies get better is if we get more kids playing the game and better pathways. Thats a long term investment, not a short term band aid.

Absolutely. But it seems less and less kids are playing rugby and the ones that do are heading over to League very quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.