• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2023

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I don’t understand why they aren’t. The season is too short as it is. The quality of Rugby will continue to slide with so little game time in comparison to comps up North

Who knows? But from everything we've seen those running the game tend to lack the vision or will to push for it to happen alongside a partner that cannot look beyond a Black jersey to see that for the game to survive as a professional option it needs to properly develop all levels of the professional game.

That said, my response was more to do with only playing the Reds once next season and not in Sydney. Even if they don't go to a full schedule double rounds of local derbies should be built into the schedule.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
can they fit it in so that it allows for the international tours mid-year?
They could go with what they do in State of Origin weeks in league. Have some byes and other teams test their depth. It’s not ideal, but the problem with Super Rugby when SA was involved is there could be 3-4 weeks between home games, which meant people found something else in the break between home games.

KiwiM

Trevor Allan (34)
That's a lot of Friday games for the Tahs at Allianz - the Drua home game on the Saturday might be the best atmosphere of the regular season at Allianz.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
can they fit it in so that it allows for the international tours mid-year?

Yeah, for sure. Part of pushing for a full schedule, a Cup comp and mid week Tests would be to develop a more integrated schedule that builds in room for the Cup and Tests with Super Rugby. We're not talking about just a 22 week season plus finals more when everything is taken into account something closer to a 26 week schedule with finals.

For example, depending on whether it involves Japan or not the Cup comp could have designated rounds in which to play through out the season. Another option on that with the return of the Nth/Sth Harbour concepts in Sydney could be to run during that window featuring the Super Rugby teams sans Wallabies plus rep squads from Sydney and Brisbane to bring it to 8 teams. This would provide more of a link to the club scene (which is something they tend to make a fair bit of noise about) while allowing for non-contracted players to push their claims against the pros. Would also allow for some more game time for EPS guys. This would actually be my preferred option.

Just a rough outline. Super Rugby starts in late Feb/early March and runs through to August. In June we have incoming Tests plus the Cup comp. Rugby Championship to involve Japan as a full time member and work with WR (World Rugby) to provide a 6th 'qualifier' spot for the winner of the proposed Asia-PAcific/Americas Championship. Single round for 5 games. November window remains the same.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Does anyone have an idea as to when we can expect Perese, Foketi and HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) to be back playing?

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
Does anyone have an idea as to when we can expect Perese, Foketi and HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) (Harry Johnson-Holmes) to be back playing?
What was Foketis injury? Heard they mentioned a shoulder.

I saw HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) is out of the boot now but if I was to have a guess I'd hope for early April. Get him right, we can see how Tupou has clearly come back early from his Calf issues and is just lacking something at the moment.

Perese I'd hope for mid year.

Glad Joey Walton has been playing pretty well for Bay of Plenty.
And will Swinton ever play again?
This one is really confusing. Makes you wonder how bad it is.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
That's a lot of Friday games for the Tahs at Allianz - the Drua home game on the Saturday might be the best atmosphere of the regular season at Allianz.
It will be interesting to see how the Fridays go, with the light rail now taking you up to the ground you could see a nice sell to the post work CBD drinks crowd - they had the same thing @ north sydney oval for the soccer at one stage with the post work NS crowd

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
Depends how it's priced. I have always thought they should make it as cheap as possible to have it be a Friday night option and get people in.

I'd also love to see proper pre games. Could be anything. Shute Shield, Womens Club, School Boy, Subbies, Super U20s. I know I'd rather at least sit and half watch another game if I'm going in.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
I don’t understand why they aren’t. The season is too short as it is. The quality of Rugby will continue to slide with so little game time in comparison to comps up North
I disagree that the season's too short. One of the best features of the Super 12/14 era was the intensity of the comp - if you wanted to be in the (4 team) finals, you could barely afford to drop a game. When it blew out to the Super 18 era, the season was long and meandering - individual games didn't feel like they counted for much.

Keep the SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) short and intense, and then move it into internationals, with the non-Test players going to an alternative comp, NRC or equivalent.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Nah, Aus rugby players just don't play enough hard rugby, the "grind" builds resilience - a home and away comp is just the fairest way to measure the thing

We need more hard rugby played and less training with contracted players not even being allowed to play full club games

Play the June tests mid week and require the non test starters to play Super Rugby

Alex Ross (28)
I disagree that the season's too short. One of the best features of the Super 12/14 era was the intensity of the comp - if you wanted to be in the (4 team) finals, you could barely afford to drop a game. When it blew out to the Super 18 era, the season was long and meandering - individual games didn't feel like they counted for much.

Keep the (SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) super rugby pacific) short and intense, and then move it into internationals, with the non-Test players going to an alternative comp, NRC or equivalent.
RA have shown they lack both the money and the stones to make the NRC succeed. The players don’t play enough. The experience gap between Marcus Smith and Lolesio as an example is huge given they number of games they get up North.
Without more game time the Southern Hemisphere will continue to fall behind

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The north south harbour teams rep teams from Shute shield voted on by all coaches. Makes some of the tah selections questionable at the very least
Fair to say majority of coaches disagree with some of them

How so and who exactly?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Chris Davidson was a childhood friend of my sons and swam regularly in our backyard pool at Elanora Heights at around 4 years old.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
If the 'Tahs work out how to integrate Nadolo properly, he'll be so useful. Watching his latest game against Northampton, he makes 10m every time. Always breaking the first tackle. Probably an absolute liability in defence tho.