• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Well, I was reading today that Jeff Bezos ex, Mackenzie, has just divorced her replacement husband. I'm sure she's after another and still has billions to give away. Wait till she hears about decline in the health of the Wallabies, I'm sure she'll stump up, but someones got to take one for team.
Sadly I'm getting married in 6 weeks otherwise definitely dive on that grenade.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
I've pushed for a system for some years whereby RA puts an agreement in place with a club in each major club competition. Have an exchange program and include coaches/support staff also. Allows us to have closer eyes on the players (so they aren't completely flogged like most are in France). Allows the players to still be picked for Australia. Gives them a chance to boost their earnings and also have experience outside Australia in a rugby but also a personal sense. Tell them that it is open ever year apart from the year of a RWC and they must play Super Rugby in that season to be picked for the Wallabies.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Christy Doran has suggested something a bit dramatic but I don't actually disagree with, offering Kerevi captaincy if he comes home.

He's a guaranteed starter, he has solid leadership credentials. We don't have a clear captain at the moment. And we should do anything to get him home. I'd be interested to see our winning percentage when he's in the side.

He Captained the Reds so he's experienced as a leader. H wouldn't be any worse then Slipper or Hooper.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I get quite embarrassed during my billionaire day dreams with the amount of money I'd donate to Rugby Australia before more worthy causes.
When I worked in Hong Kong I saw a few very rich people close up for a few years. From my observations, to get really rich you have to love making money a lot more than spending it.

So if you do become a billionaire you will not give a lot of money to anybody.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Take your pick…

Koroibete, Cooper, Foley, Arnold, Skelton, Sio, Banks, Simone…

There’s still officially only 3 o/s players allowed at one time.

Koro the only obvious one

I don’t think both Quade and Foley would get picked in the same squad.

Simone doesn’t get a look in if Kerevi is fit

There’s a case for the others, all have potential to add something to a Wallaby squad. But enough potential for RA to chip up the money to lure Kerevi back to Super Rugby when they can currently use him for the next RWC and someone else pays his salary, I’m not so sure.

Last edited:

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Take your pick…

Koroibete, Cooper, Foley, Arnold, Skelton, Sio, Banks, Simone…

There’s still officially only 3 o/s players allowed at one time.

But Koro and Cooper were already picked. So out of the rest, who's actually worth picking, probably Banks?

Arnold showed he's not worth it, Skelton needs to show his European form, Sio has been busted all year and isn't really an upgrade over Bell or Slipper, Banks has been hot and cold for the past two seasons and Simone only just made the Wallabies after the 4 other blokes fell over.

For whatever money Kerevi will want, you're better off bringing in someone else from NRL and allowing Kerevi to get his pay from his Japanese team, because next year, he's going to be available to play all the Wallaby games we need him for.

The net benefit to Australian rugby is low in spending it on Kerevi. Either get Twiggy to pay him or use the cash else where to strengthen Australian rugby.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Sio has been busted all year and isn't really an upgrade over Bell or Slipper

Are we talking about different Sio’s?

Surely not the one who was finally back playing in incredibly fine form this year?

Anyways, I’m not sure you’re seeing the bigger picture here - obviously if Kerevi is playing in Australia it gives the Wallabies an extra pick if required, as we seem to now be looking up to potentially 5 of them for the RWC… and who knows who else will leave after next year.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
If terms of the 3 for the EOYT... Foley, Skelton and ...? Probably leave it open for injury cover dependant on position

(Sio, Banks, Simone are still classified as Aus players I'd assume)

Sio definitely had his best year in some time but still not sure he's better than Slipper or Bell.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
If terms of the 3 for the EOYT... Foley, Skelton and ...? Probably leave it open for injury cover dependant on position

(Sio, Banks, Simone are still classified as Aus players I'd assume)

Sio definitely had his best year in some time but still not sure he's better than Slipper or Bell.

Sio & Simone no longer, they are already playing overseas under their new contracts. Banks hasn't left yet.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Not sure that disqualifies them, would be harsh. ie. if you sign for an Aus club from an overseas club for next year you're eligible the previous year (Beale etc.)

They wouldn't have an RA contract for the current year.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
It's an interesting argument, do you spend big on Kerevi or use the same money to recruit quality young players and lock them into the game. It may not provide the immediate short-term benefits that bringing Kerevi home would, but long-term it might be beneficial.

$800k for Kerevi, or sign the 3 or 4 best schoolboys in RL/RU

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I guess the other factor with Kerevi is he’s clearly our most important back line player at the moment, but we don’t have access to him all year round while he’s in Japan.

If he was fit, he’d still be missing out on another spring tour… for which we might now have to select another o/s player to cover him and Foketi.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
It's an interesting argument, do you spend big on Kerevi or use the same money to recruit quality young players and lock them into the game. It may not provide the immediate short-term benefits that bringing Kerevi home would, but long-term it might be beneficial.

$800k for Kerevi, or sign the 3 or 4 best schoolboys in Rugby League/RU
the South African model, which seems to be reaping some dividends, is to do the latter.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I guess the other factor with Kerevi is he’s clearly our most important back line player at the moment, but we don’t have access to him all year round while he’s in Japan.

If he was fit, he’d still be missing out on another spring tour… for which we might now have to select another o/s player to cover him and Foketi.
Yeah true.

Is this a uniquely Australian problem, does South Africa have the same issue with their Japanese based players?

Clubhouse coach

Sydney Middleton (9)
Bringing Kerevi back to a super club lifts that clubs profile domestically and globally, attracting more support and sponsorship, it makes the club more competitive and lifts the teams rugby IQ and helps retain and attract players to your club.
If I could chose an international player for each of the Australian Super Rugby teams, I would have Ardie Savea at seven for the Force, Aaron Smith as the Rebels half, Eben Etzebeth in the Waratahs, Samu Kerevi as the Brumbies twelve and Malcolm Marx as the Reds hooker. The injection of these players would make the Australian Super sides so much more competitive, watchable and marketable.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yeah true.

Is this a uniquely Australian problem, does South Africa have the same issue with their Japanese based players?

Doesn't look like it.

The issue undoubtedly stems from clubs signing these Aus players on overs because they believed they wouldn't play any Tests.

It's a real good reason why if RA made selection a free for all, you might not see a mass exodus as it would reduce the value of (high quality) Australian players and they might not get paid as much as they have before.