• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia A v Japan XV matches

Status
Not open for further replies.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
You seem to have set on Bell's scrummaging BR. I would suggest he is probably ahead of any 21 year old I've seen as a scrummager, given most props are 28 before reaching there peak at set play.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Might be controversial to say, but Bell probably would be best served heading overseas for a couple years now while he's young, get some good scrummaging in, then come back as a 25 year old at his best and dominate all levels in Aus/Pacific Super Rugby and International level.

I would much prefer that then him staying and then heading overseas at his peak which seems to be what happens with a fair few players.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Might be controversial to say, but Bell probably would be best served heading overseas for a couple years now while he's young, get some good scrummaging in, then come back as a 25 year old at his best and dominate all levels in Aus/Pacific Super Rugby and International level.

I would much prefer that then him staying and then heading overseas at his peak which seems to be what happens with a fair few players.
Might best serve Australian rugby, but not him necessarily. If he gets better over the next couple of years here he will command bigger money up north.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

Same could be said about every player and position if we’re being critical. Current structure of Australian rugby isn’t best aligned to developing players of any position.

Seasons too short for backs to learn game control. Games aren’t physical enough to develop tight 5 forwards. Really all it suits is backrow players because they exist in the chaos between backs and forwards.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Yeap. A two year secondment to Europe between the ages of 20-24 should be built into every contract. Super Rugby clubs to set up partnerships with Top 14 clubs.

Something like that, anyway.

Edit: will never happen, I know.

Last edited:

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
You seem to have set on Bell's scrummaging BR. I would suggest he is probably ahead of any 21 year old I've seen as a scrummager, given most props are 28 before reaching there peak at set play.

Whilst that old saying likely won’t be going anywhere, I think the idea of a prop not hitting their straps until later in their career is becoming slightly outdated.

It came from the notion that a good prop would ply their trade at club level, going up against the old heads and learning more over the years. That simply doesn’t happen anymore.

For better or worse, with development pathways in place and talent identification, even props are brought into the system early on. From recent memory the only ‘project’ prop in the current setup would be Pone.

If we look at some of Australia’s more recent props such as Slipper, AAA and Sio, their scrummaging has been consistent since they first came onto the scene. I’d argue they’ve actually been able to have more consistent careers over a longer period, instead of suddenly becoming more adept at the back end.

Bell’s scrumming isn’t bad by any means and if he’s able to maintain that consistency over another 10 years, he will have a great career in gold.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Yeap. A two year secondment to Europe between the ages of 20-24 should be built into every contract. Super Rugby clubs to set up partnerships with Top 14 clubs.

Something like that, anyway.

Edit: will never happen, I know.

Pity we aren't in a better financial position. We could buy out Worcester and run it as a pseudo- Australian franchises in the Premiership.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I'm just watching the game now and need to call out something absolutely insane when Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) (Nawaqanitawase) scored.

Nick Frost is almost as fast as Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) (Nawaqanitawase)..... how is that even possible?
wasn't he a state sprinter?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I'm not critiquing him against 21yo props, Froggy. To be the best or among the best at Wallaby level, he has to be able to scrum against all comers at test level. So far, he cannot do that. I have no doubt in time he will be able but right now he is behind both Slipper and Sio in my book simply because of his scrumming weaknesses. Seems Dave Rennie has had much the same opinion this year. Will be interesting to see how he performs next year in the run up to RWC 23.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I'm not critiquing him against 21yo props, Froggy. To be the best or among the best at Wallaby level, he has to be able to scrum against all comers at test level. So far, he cannot do that. I have no doubt in time he will be able but right now he is behind both Slipper and Sio in my book simply because of his scrumming weaknesses. Seems Dave Rennie has had much the same opinion this year. Will be interesting to see how he performs next year in the run up to RWC 23.
Dont think so BR. Rennie has picked him ahead of Sio when fit.

Agree is technique needs work though.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
His technique needs work for sure (all wallabies props do if we're honest) and I was critical of his technique 12 months ago but watching him through the Super Rugby this year he has improved his scrummaging remarkably the last 12 months.

Wallabies need a guy like him if we are to win the RWC, Rennie should play him in every test between now and get that extra experience.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Wilkin, Pietsch, Smith, Mark, Tuttle, Uru will probably start.

Think Suli will get a decent run he needs it so maybe MN to start DP to bench & FD given a game off
Uru would be a perfect 20 however BW was good & he or either Hanigan would have to miss completely
Smith should start to at least give 1 of the locks a lesser load
R Lon is the captain & leading beautifully, I personally think leave these 2 like in the pac cup

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
I would be starting Hoopert at LHP ahead of Gibbon, Smith at lock ahead of Neville and Wilkin at 7 ahead of Callan. I wouldn't change the halves, but look for 2 new centres. Certainly Stewart at 12, probably Henry at 13. Would also be inclined to start Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase), possible in for Vunivalu.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I would be starting Hoopert at LHP ahead of Gibbon, Smith at lock ahead of Neville and Wilkin at 7 ahead of Callan. I wouldn't change the halves, but look for 2 new centres. Certainly Stewart at 12, probably Henry at 13. Would also be inclined to start Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) (Nawaqanitawase), possible in for Vunivalu.
Agree with all changes, except i think they’ll play Vunivalu as much as they can this tour given his lack of game time of recent

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
This argument doesn't really fly at the highest level of the professional game. If he's too young then don't pick him

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Neville looks like he needs the miles in the legs since his injury. Very quite in the games he's played. I'd be fine with Frost having a lesser role and and not risking any annoying injury.

Vunivalu has to play if he's any chance of going higher. Hard when Daugunu had a good game IMO.

Agree with @Froggy about the Centres and Halves. Lonergan has to be very close to getting into the Wallabies group of Halfbacks. Very consistent and has a reliable kick on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.