• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The one and only Wallaby Coach thread

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Ok. It's required, but will it be accepted?

Oversharing mode on:

At what point in years of being repeatedly pumped by kiwi sides have the Australian players taken personal ownership of their own skill deficiencies and losing track records? When have they ever shown any individual improvement in obvious skill gaps? These players have been 100% satisfied to lose repeatedly against the kiwi sides over years and make no changes for themselves in any way shape or form through a multitude of coaches and multitude of ceos and boards. You may disagree, but all of the results and performances speak for themselves. The players are part of the problem and there is no incentive for them to change.

If they actually had a professional mindset they'd put their own money towards their own personal development and do the extras required to lift their own game up to an acceptable level and (in general) they haven't. Foreign based Australians faced with getting benched because of the 80 up and comers vying for their position on the field suddenly become stars, but when returning home they slowly revert to the most inept displays of incompetence.

Why does anyone think that JS will not be faced with the same as every other wallaby coach: where the players are lacking in basic skills - and 80% of the wallaby training is just to get them up to premier grade or shute shield level whilst all the other international teams are working towards 200 iq plays to bet that lart 2% in order to win.

Disband Rupa completely and we might be in with a shot, but as it stands now hard edged coaching demands will be met with unified industrial action from the players the levels of which haven't been seen since Big Kev ran out for the reds and got a red carded for deliberate infringements.

"We are up for this" comments from players mean nothing anymore. They've proven themselves to literally do nothing to improve themselves and just bargain for lower play time year after year. And the players are now in 100% of the power positions in RA.

JS has chosen 2 years. He knows.
Ah yes. Its the players fault for not putting their own money in. Obviously.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Irrelevant local NZ radio wounder. People at least know who Chris Rattue is. This is the first time I've heard Devlin's name for... idk, must be over a decade now.

EDIT: For e.g., I can remember Rattue's banging the Deans drum and subsequent colossal tantrums over Henry being (correctly) retained over Deans. I have no idea who's side Devlin was on.
To be honest, I don't hear Devlin as I don't know even what station he on, but don't think his comment was controversial really, I have seen similar comments on ROAR etc(and from Aussies etc). Mainly from people who look at history, which hasn't been great for kiwi (or a few Aussie coaches), and don't realise (especially in NZ) it's very unusual for coaches to be appointed and then forced (or just leave) out. Also we in NZ at this stage still struggle (I think) with the idea of coaches from another country.
Seem happy enough for lesser sports, don't know why, but mention a coach from overseas and listen to the growls etc.
As I have said I think it great move by RA, but for me presonally as of now Schmidt is 'dead to me'. As is the case with any coach of another countrie's test team. Don't mean it in bad way, but when anyone coaches another test team ie, Deans, Rennie, Henery, Hansen, Cotter they are just some fella I no longer consider in a kiwi way until they come home if they do.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Oversharing mode on:

At what point in years of being repeatedly pumped by kiwi sides have the Australian players taken personal ownership of their own skill deficiencies and losing track records? When have they ever shown any individual improvement in obvious skill gaps? These players have been 100% satisfied to lose repeatedly against the kiwi sides over years and make no changes for themselves in any way shape or form through a multitude of coaches and multitude of ceos and boards. You may disagree, but all of the results and performances speak for themselves. The players are part of the problem and there is no incentive for them to change.

If they actually had a professional mindset they'd put their own money towards their own personal development and do the extras required to lift their own game up to an acceptable level and (in general) they haven't. Foreign based Australians faced with getting benched because of the 80 up and comers vying for their position on the field suddenly become stars, but when returning home they slowly revert to the most inept displays of incompetence.

Why does anyone think that JS will not be faced with the same as every other wallaby coach: where the players are lacking in basic skills - and 80% of the wallaby training is just to get them up to premier grade or shute shield level whilst all the other international teams are working towards 200 iq plays to bet that lart 2% in order to win.

Disband Rupa completely and we might be in with a shot, but as it stands now hard edged coaching demands will be met with unified industrial action from the players the levels of which haven't been seen since Big Kev ran out for the reds and got a red carded for deliberate infringements.

"We are up for this" comments from players mean nothing anymore. They've proven themselves to literally do nothing to improve themselves and just bargain for lower play time year after year. And the players are now in 100% of the power positions in RA.

I too like to drink and post…

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
We could start to answer this question by defining what our recent game plan is. But to do that we have to go back to Dave Rennie to get a coherent game plan. Jones game plan(s) were so all over the place I could not tell you how we played under him except to describe it as horrible.

So the answer to your question is yes, he is going to change the way we play from something totally incoherent to something else. By reputation he is a good planner, with players knowing the plan and what they have to do in it. We will just have to wait till the Wallabies run out to see what it is.
Isn't there only one game plan... Up the guts and swing it wide..

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Isn't there only one game plan... Up the guts and swing it wide..

His success as a coach has come from his sides being very structured and very well drilled. Ireland under him - each player knew their role

I think that may suit our lower talent/ability team, but it won't be pretty and it will take patience, from the players, coaches, management and supporters

Expect to see certain ex players bitch about the limitations placed on the team

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
His success as a coach has come from his sides being very structured and very well drilled. Ireland under him - each player knew their role

I think that may suit our lower talent/ability team, but it won't be pretty and it will take patience, from the players, coaches, management and supporters

For sure but was a reference to the Honey badger...

Wonder what his doing now... ARU could do worse getting him into a PR role out about on socials using his other talent to get kids in the game.. promote super.. wallabies etc... His pretty well known and o think could do a job.

Probably up in the qld with the family

AdelaideRugby84

Chris McKivat (8)

Wonder what his doing now... ARU could do worse getting him into a PR role out about on socials using his other talent to get kids in the game.. promote super.. wallabies etc... His pretty well known and o think could do a job.

Last time I saw him on tv he was gallivanting about the outback in his underpants hugging trees.

Spamnoodle

Sydney Middleton (9)

Oversharing mode on:

This steaming pile doesn't even deserve this response.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
To be honest, I don't hear Devlin as I don't know even what station he on, but don't think his comment was controversial really, I have seen similar comments on ROAR etc(and from Aussies etc).

Here's a rare moment. I agree.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

RA were keen to engage him. He costs (or charges) a motza

dru

Tim Horan (67)

Joe is a coach that I have not followed closely, but FP that is exactly how I remember Ireland under him. Highly stuctured, hold possession, never risk the ball, keep grinding, frustrate the opposition, long phases doing little, structured, grinding, boring. Win. (That one word is all we need.)

Is it how Joe has always coached or was it what he saw with the cattle in Ireland? Ideally I'd like a coach who effectively adapts to the available talent. Often I see New Zealand coaches as highly effective - especially where they have boundless talent available to follow pre-determined game ideals. They can fall short in Australia because we don't have NZ depths.

I've got no idea where Joe's ability is placed in terms of style and available talent. But even if he was to determine that we have creative highlights, right now (IMO) a relentless, structured "do your bloody job" game with bludgeonly boring, repetitive patterns could be EXACTLY what we need. For now. Jezus may be a couple of seasons.

On another note, "the only way is up" fraternity and "this should make the Bled interesting" cohort - for Christ's sake. Let's start with a team performance that is not embarrassing, and in time a win. In time and any win. A win against Fiji, who are barely ranked below us, by a convincingly structured, "bore the pants off them" rugby - well that would suit very well for now.