• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The one and only Wallaby Coach thread

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
@dru his Bay of Plenty NPC teams played a much more mobile forward & expansive backline game than Munster & Ireland so I think he's the kind of coach who looks first at the players available to him & designs a game plan to maximize their strengths rather than trying to impose a particular game plan on players who may not have the necessary attributes.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
@dru his Bay of Plenty NPC teams played a much more mobile forward & expansive backline game than Munster & Ireland so I think he's the kind of coach who looks first at the players available to him & designs a game plan to maximize their strengths rather than trying to impose a particular game plan on players who may not have the necessary attributes.
Good?
We are restarting and that’s what we need. Success from simplicity based on our ability and then build depth off that and greater skills and iq through competition and so forth.

I mean Eddie offered us none of that and nothing at the same time

dru

Tim Horan (67)

Bloody dream come true if that pans out. Thanks.

tig

Frank Row (1)
Expect to see certain ex players bitch about the limitations placed on the team

.. and expect that there will be quite a few ex players. I don't think JS (especially with Nucifora behind him) will put up with anything less than total commitment to increasing skills.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
The thing is he was never going to be a good commentator and may never be.
As much as this hurts a lot of posters on this forum, he connects far better with modern players (especially the significant Pacific Islander cohort) than most other ex-players.

His role should be very limited to either well-rehearsed pregame content or minor colour contributions.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
As much as this hurts a lot of posters on this forum, he connects far better with modern players (especially the significant Pacific Islander cohort) than most other ex-players.

His role should be very limited to either well-rehearsed pregame content or minor colour contributions.
I've found he's good doing the "colour" in commentary, doing pre/mid/post game. Rather than during a game.

If you cut through some of the waffle and pseudo -name dropping, there's some good content. He knows a bit.

But I thought this was the Wob coach thread, not the Sonny-Bil bad thread

Homer

Ted Fahey (11)
JS wants an Australian flavor to the assistants and has hinted at bringing someone through to take over from him. Does that mean bringing someone like Larkham or even Halangahu into the fold? Would be awesome to get Palmer back.
Not too many other names spring to mind unfortunately.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Interesting to read people's comments regarding JS. I won't profess to know much about him but I do like to hear that he instilled the importance of good ball possession in the Irish set up. As a kid I always remember that being a strong suit of the Australian game. Under Jones we seemed to be a team that had no idea how to maintain possession of the ball.

Honestly right now I feel like a domestic violence victim being told that "things will be different" and desperately wanting to believe it.

Last edited:

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
JS wants an Australian flavor to the assistants and has hinted at bringing someone through to take over from him. Does that mean bringing someone like Larkham or even Halangahu into the fold? Would be awesome to get Palmer back.
Not too many other names spring to mind unfortunately.
I get the impression that he will use the Super Rugby coaches (at least Cron, Coleman and Larkham) in some sort of consultancy/development capacity throughout the year. Other than those, I personally think Brad Thorn would be a good addition to the team, too. I'm not sure of Dan Palmer. Even as a Brumbies fan, I think there could be better, more experienced scrum doctors out there. Bottom line, I think he'll be bringing his own picks as Assistants with him, but leaning on the more experienced of the Aussie coaches for local input. I believe there has already been mention of Daniel Halangahu coming with him.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I'd like to see the Aussie super coaches as part of Schmidt's team, with a view to one of them becoming Wallaby coach after him. The two year term opens the way for that strategy. Or maybe a year extension onto the existing contact if needed, with one of the assistants taking on the top job before the RWC. I've see it work this way in well performing businesses forever.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I'd like to see the Aussie super coaches as part of Schmidt's team, with a view to one of them becoming Wallaby coach after him. The two year term opens the way for that strategy. Or maybe a year extension onto the existing contact if needed, with one of the assistants taking on the top job before the RWC. I've see it work this way in well performing businesses forever.

No.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Can you expand on that?

I'm not saying l agree with the Aussie Super Rugby coaches doing double duty with Wallabies, but just checking there's not something I missed
Please explain?

Fair enough. The Wallabies don't deserve to be diverting efforts from hopefully improving clubs. I want to follow and support some rugby in a team that I can respect.

All the best to Joe but it is going to take me time.