• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Melbourne Rebels 2024

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
La Trobe runs a series of Sports and Exercise Science related courses inclusive of:

Diploma, Bachelor and Honours Degrees in Sport Coaching and Development
Bachelor and Honours Degrees in Sport and Exercise Science
Bachelor of Media and Communications
Diploma of Elite Sport Business
Master of Sport Analytics

I genuinely do not understand why this should be going to public opening rather than being presented as credit point undertaking for their partner university. A couple of Media guys to handle camera stuff, a high performer in the masters program to work closely with the existing High performance team, a couple of eager beavers in the other groups for all the tasks inbetween. I must admit I don't know required coursework for Diploma Accreditation particularly well, but at Bachelor and above, I cannot possibly imagine there's not a "Practical Placement" alternative to Elective units.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Nothing wrong with work experience and interns for roles with limited scope and hours, as mentioned above plenty of students jump at the opportunity to get the exposure, my nephew did it with the Reds for a few days over holidays and loved it.

It’s the time and responsibility of what that role above from the Rebels is asking which is taking the piss. People still need to pay bills and will need to hold an actual paying job on top of this work, that’s where it’s borderline predatory, exploiting people’s needs and wants for experience to get them doing work and holding responsibilities for which they should be paid for

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Nothing wrong with work experience and interns for roles with limited scope and hours, as mentioned above plenty of students jump at the opportunity to get the exposure, my nephew did it with the Reds for a few days over holidays and loved it.

It’s the time and responsibility of what that role above from the Rebels is asking which is taking the piss. People still need to pay bills and will need to hold an actual paying job on top of this work, that’s where it’s borderline predatory, exploiting people’s needs and wants for experience to get them doing work and holding responsibilities for which they should be paid for
Not being forced to, though. Only those who can afford to will apply, which may mean very few apply. Maybe.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
You sound like a millennial. Probably screw up your “work / life balance” too I would guess.
Then sign up mate, spend 2 days a week and every weekend for free doing video editing. Mate, there's volunteering, and there's taking the piss. Stop defending the indefensible.

EDIT: We know you love the Rebels.. It's ok we can see that, but if the Brumbies were doing this, I would call them out too.

Last edited:

Pone's Mullet

Alex Ross (28)
In every creative industry you have to build a portfolio of work, this gives someone starting out in the career a case study

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Then sign up mate, spend 2 days a week and every weekend for free doing video editing. Mate, there's volunteering, and there's taking the piss. Stop defending the indefensible.

EDIT: We know you love the Rebels.. It's ok we can see that, but if the Brumbies were doing this, I would call them out too.
I may just be old and crusty (and gullible), but when I started in TV as an entry-level tape op, I really wanted to learn editing. So I stayed back after shifts or got in early to learn from others and to practice - for no extra money. I know that is not exactly the same as not being paid at all but sometimes taking that initiative shows others how interested you are and puts you at the top of the heap when a position comes up (and it did).

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I may just be old and crusty (and gullible), but when I started in TV as an entry-level tape op, I really wanted to learn editing. So I stayed back after shifts or got in early to learn from others and to practice - for no extra money. I know that is not exactly the same as not being paid at all but sometimes taking that initiative shows others how interested you are and puts you at the top of the heap when a position comes up (and it did).
Dude who got paid to work doesnt understand why others dont want to not get paid for work.

Fuck me dead lads.

Pone's Mullet

Alex Ross (28)
mind pasting the text of the article?

Any other rich boys around willing to lose some millions?
Administrators of troubled dental supplier SmileStyler have found the company backed by Melbourne-based businessman Paul Docherty may have been trading while insolvent for at least the last 18 months, subject to further investigations.