• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Melbourne Rebels 2024

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
People are hardly attracted to the game because it has become so boring to watch. I would say the Rebels played the best footy last year, in that they were exciting but unfortunately that didn’t translate into many wins… I know many ex players who now no longer watch the game. I can remember going to watch the Brumbies in Canberra and the Tahs in Sydney and they had packed out stadiums… not any more. I put that down to boring predictable rugby. How in hell are the Rebels expected to be financial in an AFL mad town. No chance. At the least the Force have a population with South Africans who have adopted their home team. Huge plus is also Twiggy is backing them. Not sure of the answer … I know one thing though. We need more footballers and less athletes.
Because if you get 0.5% of the city on board that’s 25k members

Reactions: dru

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
NSW should be a powerhouse, but the years of inclusion in Super Rugby have ensured that they can no longer achieve that.

No local Derbies
only 6 or 7 games in yearly in your own market
constantly changing competition structure
Never being in control of you own roster
increased competition from other codes
an inability to adapt the competition to meet market needs
very poor scheduling
forced resting of your own roster for the national team, How are you supposed to then sell memberships????
lack of interest in over half the teams, who are based overseas
A competition that the governing body has never prioritized
Over compensated workers for the money the competition generates
No business model driving change for the better, no competition.
Just one team in your primary market ( the single biggest mistake Union has made ?????????????)

And the list goes on

That's is why NSW are no longer a powerhouse.
Spot on, while the state based T20 comp was working unlike super rugby they almost need to blow it up and start again like they did with the BBL

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
People are hardly attracted to the game because it has become so boring to watch. I would say the Rebels played the best footy last year, in that they were exciting but unfortunately that didn’t translate into many wins… I know many ex players who now no longer watch the game. I can remember going to watch the Brumbies in Canberra and the Tahs in Sydney and they had packed out stadiums… not any more. I put that down to boring predictable rugby. How in hell are the Rebels expected to be financial in an AFL mad town. No chance. At the least the Force have a population with South Africans who have adopted their home team. Huge plus is also Twiggy is backing them. Not sure of the answer … I know one thing though. We need more footballers and less athletes.
I think the cost involved in attending live is what also hurts rugby, it is not cheap to attend especially with the current financial situation many are facing. I would imagine there are people who are now spending their rugby money on their house loans after increases due to rate rises.

The cost of a ticket, a couple of beers and something to eat quickly adds up, especially if you don't want to go by yourself.

If quality of the game is important, but it is hard to get people excited to spend up big for a poor experience.

Yoda

Watty Friend (18)
Because if you get 0.5% of the city on board that’s 25k members
Yes…. true… but if AFL is a million times more exciting and tribal based, getting the 0.5% as you say is not easy. I’m a rugby man and Tahs supporter but friends in Melbourne aren’t interested in rugby… even when I took them out when I went down to last years Super round in Melbourne… they just didn’t think it was any good…

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
NSW should be a powerhouse, but the years of inclusion in Super Rugby have ensured that they can no longer achieve that.

No local Derbies
only 6 or 7 games yearly in your own market

How many games per year did NSW play as a province prior to Super Rugby?

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
I look at the decline of the Waratahs
Ok then can you clarify what you mean by this point?

So you mean the incision of other teams for the goal of expansion?
We have seen the Waratahs along with rugby's brand slowly declined in popularity in NSW over the last 20 Years, why is that.

It simply has not been able to compete with the other codes for eyeballs and players & supporters, why is that.

What do the other codes have that Rugby does not and that is part of your answer then.

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
I don’t get this line. Assuming you like rugby, why would you not get behind a lions tour or a World Cup in your back yard?
I’ll still head down for a few beers at my local club - I still love the game. To be honest I also got ahead of myself on the World Cup and think there’ll be some great games to watch there too. But I will struggle to support RA and the wallabies if the Rebels go (it’s not like the wallabies haven’t been hard enough to support for a few years now).

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
What do the other codes have that Rugby does not and that is part of your answer then.

Control over their game. When and how it is played.

Less tiers of the game. As in no real national team to fund. No off shoots like 7s.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Just checked the daily news results, not a mention of the Rebels. Makes me doubt any of the articles so far.

Seems Paul Docherty is now being accusing of stealing money from all these businesses now as well, behind a pay walk so can't read that one.

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
Control over their game. When and how it is played.

Less tiers of the game. As in no real national team to fund. No off shoots like 7s.
None of that is stopping you from running a domestic competition that you control and run at a level that you can afford and drive as much growth as possible.
You can have both worlds. "They are not mutually exclusive"

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
Just checked the daily news results, not a mention of the Rebels. Makes me doubt any of the articles so far.

Seems Paul Docherty is now being accusing of stealing money from all these businesses now as well, behind a pay walk so can't read that one.
I can’t see it either but the journalist, Stephen Drill, is basically a gossip columnist for sports related business in Melbourne. Career highlights include sky after dark punditry and interviewing Jackie Lambie’s meth addict son who she was trying to get into rehab - her son was drug affected at the time of the interview - in the ‘public interest’.