• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Melbourne Rebels 2024

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
RA will help in the interim to get the team through 2024. They will do everything to avoid being financial tethered in 2025, even though they need the team to see out the television contract. Interesting Rebels brought up that they were keen on the centralisation aspect, but RA are the ones who went cold. Well they clearly went cold when they saw just how bad it was there.

My theory.

RA don't want them to fold (but won't mind if its after 2025), but will lean on the VIC governments appetite for ultimately major WC features, even the final, to have them step in for additional funding to secure the events. I believe that whilst RA says that no rebels does not mean not necessarily mean no tests in Melbourne, that will be the case.

Rebelsfan

Billy Sheehan (19)
Just checked the daily news results, not a mention of the Rebels. Makes me doubt any of the articles so far.

Seems Paul Docherty is now being accusing of stealing money from all these businesses now as well, behind a pay walk so can't read that one.
sounds dodgy . Glad I didn't invest in his companies

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
sounds dodgy . Glad I didn't invest in his companies
Without reading the article due to the strength of the Murdoch paywall, I assume it is about him being a member and regional director of the YPO ( based on the photo I can see in the article), and then goes on to talk about how secretive this group of people who became CEOs or chairs prior to age 45 of an organisation of some scale (28,000 members head organisations turning over $6trillion). Unless KevinO is seeing a different article I think it is just typical Stephen Drill doing a quick google and aiming for click bait trying to up his Verity scores and click bait bonuses.

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
Just checked the daily news results, not a mention of the Rebels. Makes me doubt any of the articles so far.

Seems Paul Docherty is now being accusing of stealing money from all these businesses now as well, behind a pay walk so can't read that one.
Behind a paywall but was in the AFR yesterday.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Behind a paywall but was in the AFR yesterday.

Not much new; just that RA have called in Deloitte as their own advisor on the situation, and Rebels linked to both PwC and Wexted Advisory for potential Voluntary Administration proceedings.

Deliberations over the future of the Melbourne Rebels have moved slowly this the weekend as the embattled rugby union club backed by BRC Capital slides slowly towards administration.

Rugby Australia, which oversees the code, is pushing for the club to remain in the next season – which could be difficult given its precarious financial position.

Now, Street Talk can reveal the Phil Waugh-led RA has hired Deloitte as its own adviser as it navigates the likely collapse of a major franchise. Sources said restructuring partner, Jason Tracy, was formally appointed on Friday.

Of note, Joseph Hayes from Wexted Advisory has been mentioned in several dispatches as the likely administrator; however, the board has also considered PwC’s Melbourne team, sources said.

This newspaper revealed last month that the Rebels had outstanding tax bills and stadium fees that were unpaid as of last month, with debts of more than $10 million. On Thursday, Rugby Australia said it had asked the club to seek external advice about its finances.

Paul Docherty’s BRC Capital is a major sponsor of the Rebels, which finished 11th in Super Rugby last season, tipping in about $100,000 a year in sponsorship contributions.

Six companies that had received investment from BRC Capital have been placed into administration over the past two months, with administrators discovering they owe more than $50 million in salaries, superannuation, contractors and tax liabilities. Another four companies have either been issued with wind-up orders or liquidated.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Nice article from Geoff Parkes.

Jeez, I've been very reluctant to see the more conspiratorial side of this all but that's shitty behaviour from RA. Not sure how the Rebels are meant to navigate this when the conclusion seems to already be written.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Jeez, I've been very reluctant to see the more conspiratorial side of this all but that's shitty behaviour from RA. Not sure how the Rebels are meant to navigate this when the conclusion seems to already be written.
I broadly agree with him but I'm not sure the organization or competence is necessarily there at RA for conspiracy as much as it is individual bad actors. It'll be interesting to see how RA move forward from here though, if they want to move on from the McLennan era there clearly need to be more changes. Nothing in the way this saga has played put will have helped their case for managing national alignment as things currently stand.

Parkes' defence of Docherty is pretty misguided though. Countless "dedicated rugby men" have run the game into the ground in this country and the bulk of the reporting about him has focused on the factual issues plaguing BRC Capital. There is no version of the club he sits at the head of being in this much financial strife in which he doesn't bare significant responsibility.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Parkes' defence of Docherty is pretty misguided though. Countless "dedicated rugby men" have run the game into the ground in this country and the bulk of the reporting about him has focused on the factual issues plaguing BRC Capital. There is no version of the club he sits at the head of being in this much financial strife in which he doesn't bare significant responsibility.
Depends how much weight is behind the promise to re-instate the pre-Covid allowance. If it was just an indication not a guarantee yeah Docherty is dumb.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Criminal that this is being dealt with via leaks to the media. I was so excited for the coaching line up this year with Harris, Stiles, Taylor, Sampson & Parling. Really feel for them now, what a shit sandwich.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Depends how much weight is behind the promise to re-instate the pre-Covid allowance. If it was just an indication not a guarantee yeah Docherty is dumb.
The weight of the debt they accrued in that period would still be incredibly problematic even if it was re-instated this year - it's not as though there was ever any suggestion that the shortfall from the previous 3 years would've been paid out to the teams.

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
Sorry but this is Geoff Parkes an kiwi living in Melbourne, who's steadfastly backed the status quo of Australian rugby for the last 10 years, grain of Salt, ya need a 20KG bag of rock salt.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Geoff is being pretty generous to the Rebels and the complete miss-management though.

Dubious things were done in 2017 with their license, then, when the Force did fold, the Rebels were the biggest beneficiaries from coaching and players flowing to the Rebels. That's on top of the Rebels being given preferential treatment by RA through contracting of non-eligible players.

I don't believe the Rebels will be gone next year, RA won't let that happen commercially. I'd imagine RA will lean on their networks to find the cash to either buy back the Rebels or have an "ally" step in and buy them.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
Geoff is being pretty generous to the Rebels and the complete miss-management though.

Dubious things were done in 2017 with their license, then, when the Force did fold, the Rebels were the biggest beneficiaries from coaching and players flowing to the Rebels. That's on top of the Rebels being given preferential treatment by RA through contracting of non-eligible players.

I don't believe the Rebels will be gone next year, RA won't let that happen commercially. I'd imagine RA will lean on their networks to find the cash to either buy back the Rebels or have an "ally" step in and buy them.
Surely they just hand the rebels some of the cash from the Vic government for the World Cup Final

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Criminal that this is being dealt with via leaks to the media. I was so excited for the coaching line up this year with Harris, Stiles, Taylor, Sampson & Parling. Really feel for them now, what a shit sandwich.

actually think it’s a great coaching staff/front office considering the circumstances.

Will be interesting if they can get the boys to drown out the unwarranted noise, work hard during the week and have them prepped and firing come the weekend.

winning won’t solve everything but it will help with positive momentum.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Well before the shit hit the fan last week, I was talked to someone who's been involved with the Rebels for over 5 years now and asked him about it. Was literally Thursday morning, his comment was it's all the same BS. The whole time his been involved in the club they had been in debt and it was being leaked from RA to lower the price that centralizing the Rebels would cost them. They also mentioned it was a lot worse at the start of Covid, when the club had to tell players they can't afford to pay them there contracts, and negotiate what payments players were receiving.

Yoda

Watty Friend (18)
Surely they just hand the rebels some of the cash from the Vic government for the World Cup Final
Or …. Boom tish…… The Melbourne Brumbies form! Reduce a team…. Keep one in the sporting capital of Australia and solve the money issue of two struggling franchises…. Pick the best players … the rest go either overseas or back to club footy?