• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2024

Goosestep

Syd Malcolm (24)
NFL own their stadiums and don't need to juggle with other sports helps or seek out government grants to play games in the cities as they're already under existing long term agreements, they is probably the biggest factor.

There are some Rugby Championship host cities are still in being negotiated by all accounts; some are locked in(AUSvRSA & AUSvNZ), but not all. Especially around the Argentina games.
That’s not entirely true

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I’m biased but I personally think McReight remains the stand out choice if we want a player in a traditional Aussie 7 role. I thought he was a level above either Wilkin or Brown last year.

If, however, Schmidt opts for a larger backrow then the likes of Wright, Gamble, Uru and possibly even Anstee come more into focus. Or even Tom Hooper at 7 with someone like Holloway at 6 (I personally don’t see this at Test level but I know the Brumbies have played Hooper at 7 so they obviously see merit in it).
I agree McReight as of right now would be the no.7 if a side had to be picked today.

I can also see a Reds side that may lean towards Wright with McReight coming on in the 2nd half when the game has fatigue and he can get to the breakdown first and get through those tired defenders.

I think Gamble has the most comparable skill set but in a larger frame if the traditional 7 is what we are after which I don't see Schmidt not picking. Wilkin also falls into this. The Irish have picked that type of 7.

I personally hate the idea of Tom Hooper at 7. We hear about how moving players stunts them in Backs. No different for Forwards. He can be a very good 6 and potentially in the second row as I think he's got a Frost like skill set with more grunt. At the Brumbies I feel they are trying to just get as much talent on the field as possible. Hopefully he can work with Mowen down there on really becoming a genuine 6. They have plenty of 7s with Reimer, Cale, Brown and Lachlan Hooper.

Reactions: TSR

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I personally hate the idea of Tom Hooper at 7. We hear about how moving players stunts them in Backs. No different for Forwards. He can be a very good 6 and potentially in the second row as I think he's got a Frost like skill set with more grunt. At the Brumbies I feel they are trying to just get as much talent on the field as possible. Hopefully he can work with Mowen down there on really becoming a genuine 6. They have plenty of 7s with Reimer, Cale, Brown and Lachlan Hooper.

It worked at the Brumbies with the backrow including Valetini and Samu, and the roles each players had in that combination with the numbers on their backs not really reflecting a traditional Australian backrow... but agreed, at test level he'll go back to 6 and I reckon the Brumbies will likely be doing the same.

Proud Pig

Ted Thorn (20)
I personally am in support of a larger more traditional style of 7. I think pressure at the breakdown is the most significant issue that the Wallabies have. We are so easily pushed off the ball, games are won and lost at the coal face and the Wallabies simply do not select sides that are effective in that area.
I would like to see Wilkin given a shot there for the Wallabies, partially a bit of Melbourne bias I am sure, but I also think he is the most consistent player over the ball out of the regular 7s in Australian rugby.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I agree McReight as of right now would be the no.7 if a side had to be picked today.

I can also see a Reds side that may lean towards Wright with McReight coming on in the 2nd half when the game has fatigue and he can get to the breakdown first and get through those tired defenders.

I think Gamble has the most comparable skill set but in a larger frame if the traditional 7 is what we are after which I don't see Schmidt not picking. Wilkin also falls into this. The Irish have picked that type of 7.

Insignificant differences between McReight, Gamble, Wilkin and Jahrome Brown (Wallaby eligible in March, I think), ranging between 1.84m (McReight) and 1.89m (Brown) and 104kg (McReight) and 106kg (Brown).

Tazzmania

Charlie Fox (21)
Don't write off the smaller fellow at 7 from the Force. Carlo Tizzano at 1.8m and 98 kg punches above his weight and has a great attitude to go with it.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Insignificant differences between McReight, Gamble, Wilkin and Jahrome Brown (Wallaby eligible in March, I think), ranging between 1.84m (McReight) and 1.89m (Brown) and 104kg (McReight) and 106kg (Brown).
Fair call but there are definitely differences in how guys are built/use the weight. This comes more down to how they’re built fast twitch/slow twitch types. McReight is a craftsman and pounces on a gap. When Gamble was firing (2022) he seems to make space by getting through someone instead.

Positive position to have guys at every franchise genuinely competing for a spot.
Don't write off the smaller fellow at 7 from the Force. Carlo Tizzano at 1.8m and 98 kg punches above his weight and has a great attitude to go with it.
He’s a goer that’s for sure. I quite rate Ollie Callan though. In the smaller category again though.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)

Lachlan Hooper's probably going to end up just as big as Tom. His 19 and 6'5 100kgd I think he'll be a 6 or maybe 8.

Proud Pig

Ted Thorn (20)
I know that is true but it is also appears to be true that Gamble and Wilkin seem to play bigger than McReight and Brown or at least a more combative style. McReight is more an energizer bunny type that seems easier to shift off the ball than Wilkin and Gamble. Maybe it is just me but I want my flankers to be hard to shift and cause real headaches at the coalface. McReight is a very good pilferer when given the time at the breakdown but does seem to get cleaned out a little easier than the others.

Homer

Ted Fahey (11)
Ardie Savea is only 102kg but can do things none of those guys can. He loves contact, relishes in it, the more he has the better he plays. Our number 7s see themselves as hybrid backs, not forwards. Thats why Samu was good, he could do both, same as Pocock and Smith. Mcreight and Wilson dodge the hard stuff for glory shots, i'd rather see them securing ruck ball and drawing defenders in than floating out wide.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Ardie Savea is only 102kg but can do things none of those guys can. He loves contact, relishes in it, the more he has the better he plays. Our number 7s see themselves as hybrid backs, not forwards. Thats why Samu was good, he could do both, same as Pocock and Smith. Mcreight and Wilson dodge the hard stuff for glory shots, i'd rather see them securing ruck ball and drawing defenders in than floating out wide.

& Kwagga plays at just over 100 as well

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

if Samu played any wider he’d be in the coaches box.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
It’s about balance in the forward pack and we can‘t even pick a tight 5 at the moment let alone the back-row. I’m more interested in who the tight 5 will be, because that will influence the back-row selection the most.

Will AAA/Tupou bodies hold up.
Does Slipper have another season at test level in him.
Will an Australian hooker actually throw the ball straight this season.
Lock positions are wide open also especially with Skelton/Arnold availability issues.

Hogan

Peter Burge (5)
It’s about balance in the forward pack and we can‘t even pick a tight 5 at the moment let alone the back-row. I’m more interested in who the tight 5 will be, because that will influence the back-row selection the most.

Will AAA/Tupou bodies hold up.
Does Slipper have another season at test level in him.
Will an Australian hooker actually throw the ball straight this season.
Lock positions are wide open also especially with Skelton/Arnold availability issues.
A very good point. Because it won’t matter what backline Schmidt selects if we don’t have a forward pack that can physically dominate and bend the line, win it’s fair share of set piece and get quick front ball for the backs. Something they failed to do at last year’s WC. Unfortunately we don’t have the size or physicality to match the leading nations at present. Rugby has become more and more a collision sport particularly at the international level and if you can’t match the opposition in the forwards your chances of success are very limited.

rugbyAU

Nev Cottrell (35)
John Eales Medal Nominees:

Mark N (Nawaqanitawase)
Angus Bell
Will Skelton
Rob Valentini
Marika Koroibete