• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2024

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Last year they played Jeffrey Cup as the top 4 of Div 5 ladder, and Meldrum as the 5-8 playoff. Whether than happens again will depend on structure.

In terms of "regular" competitions - I imagine most clubs in First Div still have a 5th Grade, so Sutherland isn't dead yet. Similarly Richardson and 4th Grade in Div 2.

Some cups have lain idle previously so it isn't necessarily the end of the road. Need an upward trajectory from here of course...

TheBigArvo

Sydney Middleton (9)
Other clubs do it as well where the size warrants it. I'd like to pay a canteen manager, but then other volunteers start to wonder why their hard work doesn't get rewarded, financially. Balancing act.
This is the big question for me. Paying coaches and people to work in the canteen but then someone on your committee is meant go above and beyond and get nothing back for there role. I’d rather pay you Pfitzy for your hard work and have the guys put in the effort in the canteen

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
This is the big question for me. Paying coaches and people to work in the canteen but then someone on your committee is meant go above and beyond and get nothing back for there role. I’d rather pay you Pfitzy for your hard work and have the guys put in the effort in the canteen

Problem is the players give away to many freebies to mates! Also when the bar gets 10 deep they go missing as its too stressful and they want to watch the footy. Better just to have the whole thing outsourced.

Heure

Frank Nicholson (4)
So any cups to be added to the 'not contested' list for 2024?
Sutherland and Richardson all bar gone in 2023, Nicholson used to be Div 3 4ths (I think), now colts, Campbell gone, Radford relegated to Halligan style colts, Walker gone, Noice gone.
CompetitionDivisionGradePrizeKick-Off
NSW Suburban RugbyDivision 011st GradeKentwell Cup
15:15​
NSW Suburban RugbyDivision 012nd GradeBurke Cup
14:00​
NSW Suburban RugbyDivision 011st ColtsBarbour Cup
12:45​
NSW Suburban RugbyDivision 013rd GradeWhiddon Cup
11:40​
NSW Suburban RugbyDivision 014th GradeJudd Cup
10:45​
NSW Suburban RugbyDivision 015th GradeSutherland Cup
09:30​
NSW Suburban RugbyDivision 021st GradeBarraclough Cup
NSW Suburban RugbyDivision 022nd GradeStockdale Cup
NSW Suburban RugbyDivision 021st ColtsRobertson Cup
NSW Suburban RugbyDivision 023rd GradeBlunt Cup
NSW Suburban RugbyDivision 024th GradeRichardson Cup
NSW Suburban RugbyDivision 031st GradeClark Cup
NSW Suburban RugbyDivision 032nd GradeFarrant Cup
NSW Suburban RugbyDivision 031st ColtsRadford Cup
NSW Suburban RugbyDivision 033rd GradeCampbell Cup
NSW Suburban RugbyDivision 034th GradeNicholson Cup
NSW Suburban RugbyDivision 041st GradeMcLean Cup
NSW Suburban RugbyDivision 042nd GradeGrose Cup
NSW Suburban RugbyDivision 043rd GradeWalker Cup
12:55​
NSW Suburban RugbyDivision 051st GradeJeffrey Cup
NSW Suburban RugbyDivision 052nd GradeNoice Cup
NSW Suburban RugbyDivision 061st GradeMeldrum Cup
NSW Suburban RugbyOther1st GradeHalligan Cup
Subbies championship is not contested as the limp wristed board decide on relegation and promotions.

Will Waverley field a colts this year? Mosman finish 2nd last? More chance winning the thunder ball than understanding the rationale on what gets discussed at the trough.

Peter Parkerr

Frank Row (1)
Hearing Drummoyne is ready for a big season, but the big rumours are coming from across the bridge at Boronia.

HH struggling with numbers at this point in time and a few are very concerned.

Have they missed their window ? And will we see another team come and go in and out of kentwell so quickly!

I think the top 4 could look very different this year, only time will tell.

The Waverley Walrus

Bob McCowan (2)
I think Forest will be contenders for kentwell this year
IMG_7057.jpeg

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
Hearing Drummoyne is ready for a big season, but the big rumours are coming from across the bridge at Boronia.

Have they missed their window ? And will we see another team come and go in and out of kentwell so quickly!

Is this smoke and mirrors? Pre Season hasn't even started yet for most.

Filipo Daugunu

Peter Burge (5)
Got another Jeffrey Cup question.... is there any talk of changes with teams in Jeffrey this year or has a draw come out yet?, I cant find one anywhere.

The Ghost of Bernie

Stan Wickham (3)
Got another Jeffrey Cup question.... is there any talk of changes with teams in Jeffrey this year or has a draw come out yet?, I cant find one anywhere.
No draw as of yet but season will start on 13th April. Reckon it will be mid to late March before there is an official draw as Clubs get an idea of player numbers as preseason gets underway.
Going on last years Jeffery Cup plus adding Clubs that may drop down and subtracting Clubs that may not have numbers, I think there could be somewhere between 10-14 sides which potentially means a single Jeffery Cup with the above estimated numbers or splitting into two conferences based on location. Time will tell.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Need to do the following:

1) Sort out who is in Third Division (questions around 2 Grades + how Colts work in with that)
2) Work out who is going to have the 2 Grades for Fourth Division
3) From whoever is left, figure out the Fifth Division situation, including finals structure. The splitting of top 4/next 4 seems very popular.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Last year:

Div 3 - 7 clubs
Div 4 - 10 clubs
Div 5 - 11 clubs
Total = 28 + Hornsby = 29 for this year, pending other club status'

Not that far away from 4 Divisions of 8 if Brothers and Terrey Hills can get going. We'd be back to 6 Divisions that way.

You could also look at having a couple of Divisions at 7 clubs. Not ideal, but IMHO it is good to have full Home & Away rounds.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Any communication from Penrith Emus?

I saw their womens team is playing Jack Scott Cup via the Pirates' insta

KentwellCup>ShuteShield

Jimmy Flynn (14)

Surely not about HH.

Top 4 will be interesting. For CC top 4, even though its early days ill predict in no particular order who will make it -

Colleagues - Always strong, never seem faulter - always strong numbers with high quality players.

Waverley - Strong expat core, combined with good club culture seems to keep the numbers strong. Good quality players. If they can actually secure a colties side they will be a shoe in for CC.

Lindfield - The newcomers will eager to prove themselves and have lots of depth and cohesion in their club.

Drummoyne - Have building throughout the past years and will continue to climb back into the ranks of the div 1 elite.