• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Melbourne Rebels 2024

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
I park along the river and just walk across the bridge, normally cost about $4. Completely agree regarding food vendors, the one outside my seats is normally closed.
The food offerings use to be better than the MCG. Now it’s far worse. If I had time to eat before a game I’d never eat there.

I may look into that but being on the Hursty line I can get the train. It’s just a pain at times as they don’t run trains for the rugby. So after some games you get to the train and it’s 40 minutes for a Hurstbridge service and next thing you know you’re at the pub

Rebelsfan

Billy Sheehan (19)
Does anyone have a copy of the Melbourne Rebels annual report ? The one with the financials. I'd love to take a look at the liabilities and notes to accounts in them

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
The Australian is reporting the Brumbies are batting not to go into VA and the Tahs debt was north of 5m and RA was shocked when they took them over

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
The game might need to crawl back to daddy Murdoch.

If it means our game is saved, I’d happily sign back up to foxtel.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Does anyone have a copy of the Melbourne Rebels annual report ? The one with the financials. I'd love to take a look at the liabilities and notes to accounts in them
I’ve done a short of a state of the unions analysis on the financial reports released every year or two. Rebels and Force don’t make there’s available as far as I could find in my short googling at the time, Force is understandable as they’re privately owned but I never understood why Rebels annual annual report wasn’t available.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
I’ve done a short of a state of the unions analysis on the financial reports released every year or two. Rebels and Force don’t make there’s available as far as I could find in my short googling at the time, Force is understandable as they’re privately owned but I never understood why Rebels annual annual report wasn’t available.
Might be some weird holdover from when we were privately owned, like the MRRU (Melbourne Rebels Rugby Union) would still be a privately traded company owned and operated by a Public Entity (Rugby Victoria) and there's weird corporate veiling stuff. IDK business or law well enough to comment.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
The game might need to crawl back to daddy Murdoch.

If it means our game is saved, I’d happily sign back up to foxtel.

This is the whole play going on right now IMO.

Foxtel needs content with HBO / Warner bros moving on from them. Sports is the obvious choice as you get great control. The constant white wanting is an effort to drive down the price of any media deal.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Foxtel/Kayo is a sinking ship atm outside AFL/NRL they are loosing everything. Its certainly not the golden ticket it used to be

Cricket, NFL, NBA, NBL, Golf, MMA just off the top of my head are all pretty much tied to Foxtel (a lot of that via ESPN) and have big followings. From what I understand it's those subscriptions that make having Foxtel/Kayo a year round package. Whereas I know lots of people who happily cull Stan Sports for several months.

If ESPN decide to roll out their streaming service here in Australia it would definitely change things, but I don't think that has been floated yet.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Cricket, NFL, NBA, NBL, Golf, MMA just off the top of my head are all pretty much tied to Foxtel (a lot of that via ESPN) and have big followings. From what I understand it's those subscriptions that make having Foxtel/Kayo a year round package. Whereas I know lots of people who happily cull Stan Sports for several months.

If ESPN decide to roll out their streaming service here in Australia it would definitely change things, but I don't think that has been floated yet.

Foxtel has just lost all ICC events, NBA/MMA is as you say apart of the ESPN deal. In recent times they have lost all soccer & even dropped Bein sports last yr. They are offering pennies on the dollar compared to past deal for sports other than the main stream. Rugby's savior is not going back to foxtel

Also on top of that foxtel used covid as an excuse to commentate games from a studio rather than at the ground & have kept doing it as cost saving while I know stan do it as well, its utter trash to sit through especially cricket where they cant even see the ball.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
We are getting off rebels topic obviously but if ESPN were to enter the sporting market alone here in the next few years, would that be a good result for rugby?

I'm not fully across what's happening with USA Rugby but there potentially looks like some good press and money heading that way and they've got a future RWC. Could ESPN potentially look to make an exclusive rugby deal? They've got the money and production ability to really shake things up.

The flow on effect of course would be if ESPN remove their content from Foxtel, suddenly Fox might bring some more money to the table to grab rugby as they'd lose half their catalogue.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
I think we are itching towards Fox by the day. Stan does a good job but it’s so hidden on Stan and then again especially on StanSport.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Kayo is popular with 1.4m subscribers. I like the fact it has a live channel option as well. I tend to leave it on in the background at times with back to back NFL games and NRL games as well as watching cricket when they are overseas. Don't they have the cricket until 2031?

We are getting off rebels topic obviously but if ESPN were to enter the sporting market alone here in the next few years, would that be a good result for rugby?

I'm not fully across what's happening with USA Rugby but there potentially looks like some good press and money heading that way and they've got a future RWC. Could ESPN potentially look to make an exclusive rugby deal? They've got the money and production ability to really shake things up.

The flow on effect of course would be if ESPN remove their content from Foxtel, suddenly Fox might bring some more money to the table to grab rugby as they'd lose half their catalogue.
I know at the moment they use "The Rugby Network" app and local Fox stations for finals and some matches. Struggle to even follow who still exists. It's 1 team gone this year and 3 in then next year 4 will go and 1 new one.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Nobody outside hardcore rugby fans pay for stansport. There isn’t anything on it worth subscribing to for regular sports fans

I think we've been through this before, and it's simply not true... highlighted by UEFA and every major tennis tournament.

I mean, if there wasn't anything else on it how could rugby be hidden within Stan Sport?