• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Melbourne Rebels 2024

Dctarget

John Eales (66)

who are said to have debts of up to $20 million, according to the newspaper. The Roar understands that figure is closer to $15m.

its not like a news corp paper to completely make up numbers!!!!!!!
Baden says watch this space, Rebels aren't the only ones in trouble.. Unsustainable model.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
This was dribble, didn't really say much. I do remember the Rebels did a season or two where they played club rugby in Vic. It's a tough one, talking with some players a lot of the reasoning is the quality of the fields. Hardwick stuck with playing in Vic, didn't mention that.
My understanding was more the move away was due to the fall in quality. The final years of the Rising most of those players were local lads who earned a call up through playing Dewar or blokes that had been in the Rebels pathway but missed out.

It’s been a long time since I have played so I can’t comment of the standards of the ground too much but obviously you’d expect better in NSW or Queensland

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
Baden says watch this space, Rebels aren't the only ones in trouble.. Unsustainable model.
Exactly, Super rugby is the issue and why the clubs are all failing. The whole model is unsustainable and will ultimately collapse, and along with it so will rugby in this country.

Reactions: dru

PPRugby

Allen Oxlade (6)
At this stage it seems the CEO should watch his own space.
CEO seems to struggle with the facts:

December - There was no serious issue financially, just working thru some details… nothing to see here.
Jan/Feb 2024 - $9 mill debt call in the administrators
1 Week later - $20 mill debt.

One would think the CEO would just be head down and worried about Melbourne and their current dire situation.
Shocked he’s still there to be honest.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)

December - There was no serious issue financially, just working thru some details… nothing to see here.

One would think the CEO would just be head down and worried about Melbourne and their current dire situation.
The 20m claim is disputed within the media. Anyone can be alarmist. Especially when they don’t name a source and make a vague claim “the debt could be up to 20m according to an inside source”.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
They’re in voluntary administration, the board has handed control to PwC as the administrator. RA aren’t controlling the board they’re just debtors providing guarantees to try and avoid insolvency.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Does anyone here know the laws when it comes to ppl leaving the board when in VA?

surely RA force them out if they legally can
a board can be dissolved at any time, in fact it's common for administrators to do that and then appoint their own one. That doesn't absolve the pre-existing board of their responsibilities of course. I would assume PwC are doing their DD and retracing events to work out who should go and who, if anyone, should stay.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
a board can be dissolved at any time, in fact it's common for administrators to do that and then appoint their own one. That doesn't absolve the pre-existing board of their responsibilities of course. I would assume PwC are doing their DD and retracing events to work out who should go and who, if anyone, should stay.

yeah that’s what I was thinking, it’s insane to wrap your head around how the board hasn’t been moved on

tig

Frank Row (1)

Not as though anyone would be after the job.

Snowy

Frank Nicholson (4)
This was dribble, didn't really say much. I do remember the Rebels did a season or two where they played club rugby in Vic. It's a tough one, talking with some players a lot of the reasoning is the quality of the fields. Hardwick stuck with playing in Vic, didn't mention that.
You mean EX WA - Western Force Hardwick that had no connections to NSW or Qld

Last edited:

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)

To be fair the Rebels use to have their players play Dewar Shield. The death of the NRC and the Melbourne losing the Rising and the Covid years where we had no competition really hurt club rugby across the board in Victoria and it is still trying to recover
The whole club rugby connection is a silly argument only ever had in Australian rugby. Followers of NRL, AFL, etc couldn’t give a crap where players are from and if they are playing in a lower level locally. It’s just one of those things people in rugby have convinced themselves that it matters as an excuse for rugbys poor popularity. I have been a part of many clubs in QLD and Vic and yet to meet beyond a handful of people that honestly refuses to attend a Super Rugby game because of lack of connection with the pro level.