• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2024

Ref_Ted

Sydney Middleton (9)
Div 1 & 2 are up. 8 Clubs each. Lindfield up to Div 1, Petersham & St Pats in Div 2.
Beecroft up 1 from Div 3, Hawkesbury Valley down?

Div 1
Blue Mountains
Colleagues
Drummoyne
Forest
Hunters Hill
Lindfield
Mosman
Waverley

Div 2
Beecroft
Briars
Epping
Hills
Newport
Petersham
St Patrick's
UNSW

Last edited:

Filipo Daugunu

Peter Burge (5)
Is it true burraneer are moving up a division after thinking they can field two teams? Quite surprised about this, Burraneer dominated last year.

Ref_Ted

Sydney Middleton (9)
Div 3 - No draw at this stage, though Hawkesbury Valley back to Div 3 after two years in Div 2.
Hawkesbury Valley
Knox
Old Barker
Old Ignatians
Sydney Harbour
Sydney Harlequins

Ref_Ted

Sydney Middleton (9)
Shute - Round 1: 6th April 2024
Div 2 - Round 1: 13th April 2024
Div 1 - Round 1: 20th April 2024

The Ghost of Bernie

Stan Wickham (3)
Div 3 - No draw at this stage, though Hawkesbury Valley back to Div 3 after two years in Div 2.
Hawkesbury Valley
Knox
Old Barker
Old Ignatians
Sydney Harbour
Sydney Harlequins
May take a while to catch, such as with peeps still referring to Renegades as Rouse Hill, but Old Ignatians are now known as Lane Cove Old Ignatians Rugby Club. Bit of a mouthful i know.
Close to 30 at LCOI first training session last Thursday with 19 Colts on the books at this stage.

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
Any Briars people on here? Im hearing some solid recruitment has occurred. Looking for confirmation.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Looks like 2nd Division has officially got a full Richardson Cup draw - good sign as last year it was a bit sporadic with 0-2 games per week.

HarryElite

Herbert Moran (7)
I’ve heard that as well. Their 7s program is paying off.

Sydney based Tonga 7s players use the Briars name to enter teams into competitions (you used to have invitational teams in comps but now looks like all comps you need to be a real club), if I was to guess, i would say they go to briars, ask briars to enter into comps, and split all winnings so everyone is happy. I did notice Briars won a comp a few weeks ago, and their team picture had about 7-8 shute shield players in the team. That comp didnt have any shute teams playing in it. And then last week I went to hamilton for the 7s, pretty much so all their players for the week before, were back playing for their actual clubs, and briars got smashed in every game and finished last. It would be interesting to see how many of the players that have played 7s for them this off-season, actually play 15s for them.

Eastcoast

Larry Dwyer (12)
Sydney based Tonga 7s players use the Briars name to enter teams into competitions (you used to have invitational teams in comps but now looks like all comps you need to be a real club), if I was to guess, i would say they go to briars, ask briars to enter into comps, and split all winnings so everyone is happy. I did notice Briars won a comp a few weeks ago, and their team picture had about 7-8 shute shield players in the team. That comp didnt have any shute teams playing in it. And then last week I went to hamilton for the 7s, pretty much so all their players for the week before, were back playing for their actual clubs, and briars got smashed in every game and finished last. It would be interesting to see how many of the players that have played 7s for them this off-season, actually play 15s for them.
I saw this as well. Their game against Eastwood started close, but with 60 points put up in 14 minutes, seems like they may have been slightly out of their depth. As most subbies clubs would be against Shute Shield calibre player.

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
2 Breakers teams slog it out against Hunters Hill, Dirty Red, Hornsby and Forest tomorrow at the Rats Sevens. Will be interesting to see how Newport & Hornsby go against the Div 1 big boys.

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
should be a good day at Rat Park with the Tahs A playing Manly and Warringah at 6.30. Apart from the sevens, what other games are on tomorrow?

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
A hot and humid nightmare at Rats 7s yesterday. Basically just way too hot to be playing rugby!

Hornsby made it back to back wins as they dispatched the Dirty Reds in the final.

Question. Do the dirty reds do the same thing as Briars do at 7s time and sublet their jersey as their squad was 15 Fijians? Or do Drummoyne always have a big contingent of Fijians on their roster?

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
A hot and humid nightmare at Rats 7s yesterday. Basically just way too hot to be playing rugby!

Hornsby made it back to back wins as they dispatched the Dirty Reds in the final.

Question. Do the dirty reds do the same thing as Briars do at 7s time and sublet their jersey as their squad was 15 Fijians? Or do Drummoyne always have a big contingent of Fijians on their roster?
A number of the guys in the photos do play in the 15s season for Drummoyne.

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
Surely we must be deep into preseason now so is there any breaking news from around the grounds?

WoodyWoodsman

Sydney Middleton (9)
Surely we must be deep into preseason now so is there any breaking news from around the grounds?
I’m hearing a bit of trouble for a few mid division clubs. Some struggling to secure colts, some struggling for grade players, some struggling for quality.
Could be in for an interesting March, given we already have division 1 and division 2 draws.
The new tackle laws will be interesting as well. Hearing a number of clubs who attended last nights seminar are already lining up excuses.

The Ghost of Bernie

Stan Wickham (3)
Numbers coming along nicely at LCOI. Mid 30's plus the Colts squad for week 3 of preseason last week and looking for numbers to grow again this week. Former Uni OF NSW coach John Morrison looking after first grade.
Currently training at a small soccer field at Greenwich (Bob Campbell Oval) but with no lighting available. After the recent completion of draining works at Tantallon Oval we should hopefully be back there in a couple of weeks. Just waiting for grass to grow and cover the sand over the drainage lines. All the rain and warm weather we've had has made the majority of Tantallon look, in the words at Richie Benaud, marvellous.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
All the rain and warm weather we've had has made the majority of Tantallon look, in the words at Richie Benaud, marvellous.

Or, in the words of Tony Greig "Morvellous".

Good to hear things are coming together for the new venture. Looks like there has been a lot of work in the off season to get the back office right, and it will pay dividends in terms of numbers.

Last edited: