• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Melbourne Rebels 2024

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
I mean... isn't losing twice a year plus the finals enough failure for you?
ignore-ignored.gif

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
Mate, I know this is a tough time, but there's no way two about it - the vast majority of the Rebels' debt is purely due to mismanagement. You don't accidentally and unknowingly rack up $15m+ in debt
When the level of funding does not even allow you to pay the minimum salary cap spend you are always going to end up in debt.

Rugby Australia underfunds clubs in expansion markets as certain clubs aren’t able to stand on their own two feet

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
When the level of funding does not even allow you to pay the minimum salary cap spend you are always going to end up in debt.

Rugby Australia underfunds clubs in expansion markets as certain clubs aren’t able to stand on their own two feet
Sure, I agree, but I repeat - they accrued $15m+ debt unchecked. Even if the promised / assumed money from RA came through, they are still in very deep. That is the part which is astounding and screams mismanagement.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
People love to point the blame at the Rebels
I think you're being a bit obtuse here. Ever since the Rebels have been in the competition they have received more support and assistance from RA than the other states.

Whether it be through salary cap exemptions, ineligible players being included and the whole parachuting the Force into the Rebels.

I'm sure RA could have done more to help, but, by the looks of it, you're only dragging out the inevitable.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
Sure, I agree, but I repeat - they accrued $15m+ debt unchecked. Even if the promised / assumed money from RA came through, they are still in very deep. That is the part which is astounding and screams mismanagement.
So what were they meant to do? Break the rules and only pay 70% of the cap? Not pay any staff or coaches?

I get unfortunately membership plummeted post COVID same with the crowds hurting revenue. I know that companies don’t to sponsor them because they feel rugby is going so poorly and struggles for viewers

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I think you're being a bit obtuse here. Ever since the Rebels have been in the competition they have received more support and assistance from RA than the other states.

Whether it be through salary cap exemptions, ineligible players being included and the whole parachuting the Force into the Rebels.

I'm sure RA could have done more to help, but, by the looks of it, you're only dragging out the inevitable.
Think he's just stating that it's an impossible situation. Either you run a competitive team in Melbourne and accrue massive debts or you run a sustainable one that gets railed every week and breaks RA's own rules.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Mismanagement is certainly to blame for the sheer scale of the debt, and there is no excuse, but we have had more costs than the average side. Do we know what financial arrangements were made for training ground rentals, hotels/serviced apartments etc. for the Rebels when they spent the majority of Super Rugby AU 2020 and Super Rugby Trans Tasman 2021 playing out of Sydney? That wouldn't have been a cheap thing to get done.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Valid, but (and I edited my post to reflect this) it should never have come to this - that's the part which is poor management. Brums' debts are to RA (and minimal, really), and Tahs' are also comparatively small and now being dealt with.
Its actually pretty common in sport. The FFP rules in Football are aimed at preventing clubs over-extending and sending themselves broke in this way.

Makes sense. Sport is about competition and the best way to be competitive is to spend money.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)

The Force were never parachuted in, neither the Force or Rebels were able to re-sign players post 2017 when they were trying to cut one. So we had so many list spots available.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
Valid, but (and I edited my post to reflect this) it should never have come to this - that's the part which is poor management. Brums' debts are to RA (and minimal, really), and Tahs' are also comparatively small and now being dealt with.
lol the Tahs debt was reported in the Australian to be more than RA anticipated and north of 5m and the Tahs debt isn’t being felt with by them it’s just getting paid off by the game

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The Force were never parachuted in, neither the Force or Rebels were able to re-sign players post 2017 when they were trying to cut one. So we had so many list spots available.

Not true... both teams re-signed players that year.

In fact, the Force made a lot of re-signings of players that wound up at the Rebels the following year.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
So what were they meant to do? Break the rules and only pay 70% of the cap? Not pay any staff or coaches?
The board should have done their job and sounded the alarm months if not years ago. The CEO shouldn't have stuck his head in the sand by releasing borderline Trumpist statements condemning the "negative media coverage coming out of Sydney".

I can sympathise that it's extremely hard to stick your hand up and say you need assistance when you're running the show, but fuck me it's better than steering the ship into a place of no return.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)

You won’t believe that do you.

Maybe on paper the rebels did, but NSW rugby is always propped up by RA/NSW powerbrokers at the expense of grassroots and other provinces.

All the marquee signings, all the wallaby top ups… most of it seems to go straight to NSW.

Happy to see your figures though and eat a serve of humble pie. Just don’t believe your statement Ignoto

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
lol the Tahs debt was reported in the Australian to be more than RA anticipated and north of 5m and the Tahs debt isn’t being felt with by them it’s just getting paid off by the game
And therein lies the point - "north of $5m" ain't nothing like ~$20m...