• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2024

noscrumnolife

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I would say that it would be good to leave Skelton and Arnold out of it for this year....
Sorry this is absolute madness to me (mainly talking about Skelton). IMO as much as you can possibly pick him club commitments allowing, you play him. Test Rugby is not a development arena, despite what Eddie Jones made out. We need to win, and win soon, because further embarrassing losses will cause more irreversible damage to the Wallabies name.

Skelton is our best player by a distance for mine. He is the only Wallaby with a credible shout of being in a World Best XV (although I think Bell is not too far away if he can stay fit and keep developing). Why you would willingly not pick the best forward in European club rugby is frankly beyond me.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I would say that it would be good to leave Skelton and Arnold out of it for this year.

I wouldn't pick Arnold but I would try and pick Skelton at every opportunity.

He's a genuinely world class player and one of the few we have who has the potential to move the needle at test level. The more time he had as a Wallaby the more we saw the potential he brings. I definitely want to continue that in whichever series it makes sense from an availability perspective.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I disagree. He was good in patches but he also failed miserably in the captaincy stakes. He should never have been put in that position, but still, he has been a reluctant Wallaby from very early on.
Lets see what Schmidt does, but I would not be surprised if he goes for a new look in the second row.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
My understanding is Skelton won't be available for the Wales tests, though I can't find a source for that. If my memory is correct he may have made himself unavailable for those matches?

Either way the top 14 final is a week before the first Wales test, so if he or any other Australians are involved in that it's unlikely they then play that test. From there Schmidt might start to work them in, but I could definitely see him focusing on local talent for the 2nd Wales and Georgia tests. European talent would then be included from the Rugby Championship onwards. Japanese talent is probably the reverse - included in the July tests and Rugby Championship, maybe unavailable for some or all of the end of year tour.

URC finishes a week before Top 14 and the English premiership a couple of weeks before that, so players in those comps will be much more flexible, but I'm not sure who exactly would be on the radar there as non of the established foreign call ups are playing in those comps. I expect Schmidt won't go looking beyond Skelton, Arnold(s), Kerevi, Koroibete, Cooper and Foley until at least after the July tests have given him time with the local player base. That's not to say I expect them all to still be involved.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
A dismal RWC campaign. Let’s face it, he was a wild outside pick for captain and had not yet earned his stripes. Nothing has changed to enhance his selection since then.
I always find its pretty easy to say who it shouldn't be. But, out of the 23 that ran out on the first game at the RWC, who should have it had been then?

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Hasn't Schmidt already said there's a preference to pick from within Australia:

He can fill the wallabies with Super Rugby players as much as he likes as long as he wants to be remembered along the same lines as deans

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I always find its pretty easy to say who it shouldn't be. But, out of the 23 that ran out on the first game at the RWC, who should have it had been then?
I am not sure. Michael Hooper most likely even though he was not there.
Certainly the blame does not fall at the players feet. It was EJs crazy party. Up until the year or so prior to the RWC Will Skelton was reluctant to play for the Wallabies and I am still not sure if his prominent provincial skill set translates well to the test game.
Its unlikely that we will see any of those European based players for the first 3 tests so a youngish second row pairing is likely.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
There’s good reasons for Skelton not to be captain, but the results of the RWC campaign aren’t one of them.

Biggest issue for Skelton is he won’t be able to front the same quantity of training camps and potentially even test matches pending test release windows/club requirements.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Yeah, I don't have an issue with Skelton the man as a captain, but I don't like the idea of captain who is not signed and playing in Australia. Particularly not with a lions tour in a year's time.

As I see it Ala'alatoa is probably most likely, followed by Tate. It's a bit harder to pick after that, but Porecki and Slipper next, then maybe McReight, Valetini or Ikitau as long shots.

It might turn on whether Schmidt wants an older head to steady the ship or to start building something new with a younger captain. My guess is the former, but with a younger set of vice captains with an eye to the future. Given the older, experienced options are mostly in the front row there will be plenty of opportunity for whoever the vices are supporting them.