• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2024

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Whilst I enjoy the history lessons, I don’t think previous coaching records at the Rugby World Cup are overly relevant to Wallabies 2024 season

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Yeah, I don't have an issue with Skelton the man as a captain, but I don't like the idea of captain who is not signed and playing in Australia. Particularly not with a lions tour in a year's time.

As I see it Ala'alatoa is probably most likely, followed by Tate. It's a bit harder to pick after that, but Porecki and Slipper next, then maybe McReight, Valetini or Ikitau as long shots.

It might turn on whether Schmidt wants an older head to steady the ship or to start building something new with a younger captain. My guess is the former, but with a younger set of vice captains with an eye to the future. Given the older, experienced options are mostly in the front row there will be plenty of opportunity for whoever the vices are supporting them.
AAA would be my shout for no other reason than it’s hard to pick guaranteed starters with captaincy/leadership experience. I don’t really like props as captains though

Bobby V might be a suitable option. Don’t know if he would make a good leader or not though

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Yeah, I don't have an issue with Skelton the man as a captain, but I don't like the idea of captain who is not signed and playing in Australia. Particularly not with a lions tour in a year's time.

As I see it Ala'alatoa is probably most likely, followed by Tate. It's a bit harder to pick after that, but Porecki and Slipper next, then maybe McReight, Valetini or Ikitau as long shots.

It might turn on whether Schmidt wants an older head to steady the ship or to start building something new with a younger captain. My guess is the former, but with a younger set of vice captains with an eye to the future. Given the older, experienced options are mostly in the front row there will be plenty of opportunity for whoever the vices are supporting them.

DP is lucky to even be in the team he should be no where near the captaincy.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I think you need the Captain to be within Australia for what's coming up. You need the Captain available and willing to do as much media, clinics, lunches as possibly to sell the game.

I think AAA is the guy. At the prime age, clearly has respect and feels like a leader. We lacked that at the WC when senior guys got hurt and no Hooper around for at least the players to look at and take a breath because he's going ok. You know Eddie was kicking bins and talking about cattle prods. I like Valetini and might be wrong but he seems a quite character who is all action. Nothing wrong with a reluctant leader when times are good but right now we need for lack of a better term a father figure out there to show them what we're about because at the moment these guys don't know.

DP got handed a flaming bag of dog shit. He's a good player and seems a good guy. He's a Wallaby Captain forever but he's a battle for a spot which is completely up for grabs in my mind. BPA is still the best Australian Hooker.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Will AAA even be in the 23 squad come the Lions tour? Knowing how shit Achilles injuries are, AAA may not even have enough miles under his belt come first Wallabies game.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
My issue with props as captains is it makes it difficult to effectively communicate with, and persuade the ref at scrum time as they’re usually one of the players been reprimanded/penalised.

Halfbacks and loose forwards as a position have a better opportunity to communicate with the ref and touchies.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Will AAA even be in the 23 squad come the Lions tour? Knowing how shit Achilles injuries are, AAA may not even have enough miles under his belt come first Wallabies game.
He's due back in April, at about the mid point of the super season, so he should have plenty of time to be right for Wales. Coming back to form is a different question, but if he does he's the top candidate for the captaincy for mine.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I think bigger guys have a better chance to come back as close to before. Once repaired he can get the strength back. Be more of a worry when these things happen to an outside back.

Loose Forward does make a lot of sense or a Center. 9 is another up for grabs spot in the Wallabies even though it seems Tate has the front runnings when looking across the sides. White feels like he may be on a slow slide, Gordons' to rogue, Lonergan is a chance but this is his first full chance at being top dog.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Ahh yeah forgot it was an achilles , i worked with a pretty renowned S&C trainer and he said once you hit 30, your achilles is one of the biggest risks for injury and most difficult to manage once injured, you basically have to add an extra 30min warmup cooldown onto ever single S&C session specifically focusing on warming it up to prevent aggravating it again.

For props, this is even harder given the load they're putting through it every single scrum

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
I couldn't even pick a starting 15 at the moment let alone decide on captain for the Wallabies, I know it's only pre-season but Tahs have been dreadful. Rebels could either play like Force in 2017 or Rebels in 2017 which will have a massive impact on some players heading into Wallabies camp. Reds and Brumbies I can't decide on how there season will go, and sorry Force fans I don't think it will be a good year, you have one of the toughest starts to the season fixture wise.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I think a lot will depend on his view of McDermott. If he sees him as a first pick half the. I then I think he’s also an easy pick for captain. But that may not be the case.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
1708076515601.png