• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Interesting to read comments on buying property etc as investment. Here in the Naki the Coastal rugby club have just brought a dairy farm. They started just after club formed with amalgamation of 3 clubs, bought a herd, then the land they were farming (leased) was being sold , so have just brought , the idea is to use most of first 5 years profit to run down the debt, then profits etc are used to outfit teams, juniors to seniors and Opunake college teams , and to keep facilities updated. The club has a policy, they never pay players, they breed their own on the Coast! It's where the Barrett boys come from. Taranaki Rugby has just done same buying a farm not that far from where I live.

Last edited:

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
What good has Phil Waugh done? Overseen a World Cup that we exited in the pool games and we ended up a reported 5-6m over budget. It’s lucky we didn’t make the finals as we couldn’t afford to participate.

Absorbed all the Tahs debt.

Australian use to be known for running rugby all this clown will be known for is running rugby into the ground

Furthermore he has sat on the board since 2018. There aren’t many decisions the board has made in that time that cover any of them in glory

Last edited:

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
What good has Phil Waugh done? Overseen a World Cup that we exited in the pool games and we ended up a reported 5-6m over budget. It’s lucky we didn’t make the finals as we couldn’t afford to participate.

Absorbed all the Tahs debt.

Australian use to be known for running rugby all this clown will be known for is running rugby into the ground

Furthermore he has sat on the board since 2018. There aren’t many decisions the board has made in that time that cover any of them in glory

I agree with your sentiments. The game is in a dark place where i don’t see light at end of tunnel.

Could I have a Time Machine knowing it was going to be a Herbie/Waugh pairing I would have begged/rally for McLennan to stay on.

Waugh lost me last year about his comments on 3rd tier about a national club rugby comp which seemed to talk all about NSW/QLD whilst turning a blind eye on the development pathways needed for next gen in ACT/WA/Melbourne.

They’ve taken out a huge loan - it’s time to support super rugby au in Victoria beyond 2024. Time to start tightening the belt in other areas of the game to save professional rugby in this country (national club comp won’t have the tv money to put food on the dinner table of Aussie rugby players) super rugby pacific or NRC style comp is the only way forward.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
I agree with your sentiments. The game is in a dark place where i don’t see light at end of tunnel.

Could I have a Time Machine knowing it was going to be a Herbie/Waugh pairing I would have begged/rally for McLennan to stay on.

Waugh lost me last year about his comments on 3rd tier about a national club rugby comp which seemed to talk all about NSW/QLD whilst turning a blind eye on the development pathways needed for next gen in ACT/WA/Melbourne.

They’ve taken out a huge loan - it’s time to support super rugby au in Victoria beyond 2024. Time to start tightening the belt in other areas of the game to save professional rugby in this country (national club comp won’t have the tv money to put food on the dinner table of Aussie rugby players) super rugby pacific or NRC style comp is the only way forward.
If I had a Time Machine you’d go back to 95 and never sign up to Super Rugby

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
If I had a Time Machine you’d go back to 95 and never sign up to Super Rugby

Disagree on that point rebel man.

The game had to go professional to pay these emerging talents a Legitimate wage so they wouldn’t be lost to NRL, France or Japan…

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The issue wasn’t super rugby. It was agreeing to RUPAs demands to give the players 95% of earnings.

If only back then they had thought - hang on, maybe we should invest in our FUTURE players and the grassroots.

RUPAs demands have had just as much an impact on the Rebels as RAs.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
The issue wasn’t super rugby. It was agreeing to RUPAs demands to give the players 95% of earnings.

If only back then they had thought - hang on, maybe we should invest in our FUTURE players and the grassroots.

Super Rugby never delivered for the game here. When it started there was no footprint outside of NSW and Queensland. The Brumbies were a horrible strategic decision

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)

This part I agree with, the game went from amateur to professional over night night and along with it came wages the game had not earned yet.

To pay for things they had to monetize Test rugby, and introduced Super rugby to support that, the issue was it was never fit for purpose or ever allowed to evolve, let alone for three different individual markets.

The immediate need to pay over market price wages has ensured the game has lived of a credit card for the last 20 years, the big issue is the incentive structure has never been in place for things to change, the old Titanic saying "dinners still being served"

The end problem for both NZ & Australia you are stuck with a structure that is not fit for purpose.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)

Reg, can you expand on this. I remember back in the day it was 25% of player generated revenue went to players and then that shifted to 30%. When did it become 95%?

Steve_Grey

Sydney Middleton (9)
Phil is out of his depth. Not his fault no one else wanted the job and the rugby culture of “let’s hire another rugby guy”

Fingers crossed we can navigate thru some very troubling times
Phil Waugh's problem is simple incompetence - the Peter Principle, where he skipped a few steps.

NoName

Herbert Moran (7)
Phil Waugh's problem is simple incompetence - the Peter Principle, where he skipped a few steps.
Wtf are you talking about? He clearly explains at the end of this video about how other people who have worked in a specific industry and excelled in their career just don't have the ability to cope with pressure and high performance equal to an ex rugby player that gets a token leadership role.

Think about all those times in your workplace where it's backs to the wall and the company is about to fold, and livelihoods are on the line - it's not the experienced leader that identifies the priorities based on industry knowledge, and then assigns the appropriate resources to resolve the issue;

It's the ex wallaby that holds a teams meeting pep talk retelling the time they tackled lomu to deny a try in the brave defeat where we almost regained the bled, then telling everyone that they are the true heroes and to give 110% and "align with the vision and achieve the goals" that really makes the difference.

Only elite rugby people have ever experienced pressure and know how to deal with it.

Shame on you for thinking otherwise.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
You've obviously got a lot of enthusiasm and passion for the sport and rugby in Victoria.

Do you channel any of this into the local scene or is this just all bravado for the internet?
lol here we go, been involved with the game for 20 years now champ. Is that all you’ve got.

I was at the game in Moorabbin I thought I may have actually bumped into Phil Waugh as he has been saying how he is so keen to get out and connect with the community but alas was all to much for him

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
Wtf are you talking about? He clearly explains at the end of this video about how other people who have worked in a specific industry and excelled in their career just don't have the ability to cope with pressure and high performance equal to an ex rugby player that gets a token leadership role.

Think about all those times in your workplace where it's backs to the wall and the company is about to fold, and livelihoods are on the line - it's not the experienced leader that identifies the priorities based on industry knowledge, and then assigns the appropriate resources to resolve the issue;

It's the ex wallaby that holds a teams meeting pep talk retelling the time they tackled lomu to deny a try in the brave defeat where we almost regained the bled, then telling everyone that they are the true heroes and to give 110% and "align with the vision and achieve the goals" that really makes the difference.

Only elite rugby people have ever experienced pressure and know how to deal with it.

Shame on you for thinking otherwise.
Look obviously the ability to understand how private school rugby in Sydney works is essential

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
Christ there really is some hyperbole in the comments here. I'm not sure how the mess at the Rebels is the personal fault of Phil Waugh? The poor bloke can't win.
He says he wants to connect with the community and fans while treating us with disdain.

He was the CEO of a RA administration that went 6m+ over budget at the WC. He refuses to release the review

He is not transparent about how much the Tahs bail out cost the game

He has sat on his hands getting a stadium deal done so we can’t sell tickets. The club was informed that the deal was done and tickets would go on sale this weekend. As of now they haven’t gone on sale.

I have zero confidence in him and his administration to make good on his promise that our membership entitlements will be honoured and doubt I will be let in Friday.

Tried to organise for a group of mates to get down but that can’t happen as the general public can’t buy tickets.

I can’t really see any positives from his performance

He also arrogantly claims the pathways won’t be affected by the loss of the Rebels. How about he actually connects with the community and run that one past them. Jimmy Orange who he was full of praise for when he took over as CEO certainly disagrees. If I was trusting someone to know about the junior pathways in Victoria it would be Orange and not Waugh who I listened too

Last edited: