• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Melbourne Rebels 2024

TSR

Mark Ella (57)

once again, Geoff Parkes making heaps of sense out of this whole crappy situation. The fact that Phil is talking to Jimmy is an interesting angle too.
I think the most interesting line in that is where he implies that a person or persons within RA were both aware and sanctioned the spending that led to the current financial position. Or am I reading that wrong?

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
100%

Oh, you were talking about the caterers...
QqnEFuf.gif

Proud Pig

Ted Thorn (20)
This really makes you wonder if RA gives a toss about development pathways. I would suggest that unless those pathways are the Sydney Eastern Suburbs private school network they really couldn't care less.

It all seems reasonably likely at this stage that the Rebels will not exist beyond this season and that appears to sit comfortably with RA. The only reason they will not make the call now is that they know that 9 will insist on renegotiating immediately as the structure of the agreement has been inherently changed by the actions of RA. Nine will argue that by sounding the death knell of a club in a key population center that RA has severely tainted Super Rugby as a value proposition to any broadcasting deal. Therefore, the agreed value could no longer be supported and if the RA want the current agreement to continue it will need to be at a significantly lower cost point. I think the starting position for the renegotiation would be a 28% decrease in potential viewership (based on population of included states) plus at least 20% (at best 4 games rather than 5 not taking into account games between Australian based clubs) less content of Australian interest per week. This would mean a drop in the value proposition to 9 of 43% and as such they would offer that as the drop in the broadcast rights. Also, do not dismiss the idea that if 9 don't see potential to make money in Super Rugby that they could use RA changing the competitions structure as a trigger to dissolve the agreement entirely.

This is a really ugly situation for RA and one they if they can't see a way around could really hurt the game in Australia. Unfortunately, I am not sure that RA's sight extends much beyond Moore Park.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think the most interesting line in that is where he implies that a person or persons within RA were both aware and sanctioned the spending that led to the current financial position. Or am I reading that wrong?

That was just relating to Rugby Australia being aware that the Rebels had engaged Jimmy Orange and Academy Movement wasn't it?

Steve_Grey

Ward Prentice (10)
"Club Statement from CEO
Wed, Dec 20, 2023, 4:22 PM
https://twitter.com/Melbournerebels
In response to recent negative media coverage originating out of Sydney, the Melbourne Rebels wishes to address the speculations and set the record straight. Despite the unfounded speculation circulating in the media, we want to assure our supporters, stakeholders, and the wider community that the Melbourne Rebels’ future is extremely bright."

Several posts from earlier touched on this, but the Rebels CEO denied there were any issues in December - either he didn't know the state of his own company balance sheet, or he thought that $20+ million of debt really did indicate a bright future.

Last edited:

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
That was just relating to Rugby Australia being aware that the Rebels had engaged Jimmy Orange and Academy Movement wasn't it?
There's that, but there's also a later comment where he implies RA (or someone at RA) was aware of the debt the Rebels were racking up:
The truth about how the Rebels accumulated such a significant amount of debt – and who at Rugby Australia knew about it and sanctioned it – will play out over time.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Nice. He's done some bits on TV before and he's well spoken and knowledgeable.

Still don't think we ever really saw what he could have done. I know it's very different to the pros but its the best playmaker game I've seen at a schoolboy level was his game v NZ Schools in 2007...? Just playing with infinite time that day. Pretty good side that year.

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
I really doubt that's the intent, the longer it drags on the worse for RA as well, whether they end persisting with a gutted Rebels or picking up the pieces after months of inaction. I expect this is because they're actually looking to keep the team alive in some form but can't see a way forward. If they really wanted the Rebels gone I think they'd be pretty ruthless about it at this stage and end them now to minimise the losses.
Sorry but I can't buy that, I think this is just damage control. They won't condemn the Rebels before the season starts, that would just lead to a shit show, and Super Rugby already looks like something the cat dragged in.

They will claim they are in serious backroom discussions with no stone unturned to save the Rebels 3/4 of the way through the season it will be announced that despite the best efforts of everyone involved a way forward could not be found, and the Rebels will then have 2-3 games left to play out.

Don't get me wrong the RA would like the Rebels to survive but the whole thing is pretty much bankrupt.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I didn’t think so. But I can see how it could be taken that way and maybe I’m wrong.

I know that RA is strapped but if that was the case and give the success of the program I would’ve thought it would be logical for RA to pay the $60k. Or if there is some legal reason not to do that right now then at least give him asssurances he’ll get the funds.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I can’t see how RA wouldn’t be desperate for the Rebels to survive. But they are financially strained too and actually achieving that would appear to be incredibly difficult.

Tazzmania

Tom Lawton (22)
I do hope Mr Orange is able to get funding for what appears to be a good iniative and program.

However I am not sure RA can pick and choose which creditors of the Melbourne Rebels they should pay or not pay, realistically it is now part of the administrators scope.

More concerning is that when there were no funds available why were the Rebels pledging money that they did not have. There is also a charity that they did not pay as well, see early parts of this thread.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I do hope Mr Orange is able to get funding for what appears to be a good iniative and program.

However I am not sure RA can pick and choose which creditors of the Melbourne Rebels they should pay or not pay, realistically it is now part of the administrators scope.

More concerning is that when there were no funds available why were the Rebels pledging money that they did not have. There is also a charity that they did not pay as well, see early parts of this thread.
I guess I more meant that if the comments in the article were implying that RA were aware of and had specifically sanctioned this expense then they would (from my non-legally trained perspective) have some grounds to step in and pay this specific amount owing.

But I could well be wrong.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
For some positive news Matt To'omua is having a try at punditry this year and will co-host the Roar podcast with Christy Doran. Always seemed like a smart boy, keen to see how he goes.
Of he a smart boy, he played his junior rugby at my old club in Brisbane. Always gave his coach heaps when he suggested at prizegiving that we would be paying to watch him play rugby one day! What did I know?? :D :rolleyes:

Rebelsfan

Billy Sheehan (19)

I fear that Academy Movement Inc is his (Jimmy Orange) business and appears as a creditor to Rebels to the tune of $60,000.

Tazzmania

Tom Lawton (22)
As per ASIC:

Meeting of the committee of inspection currently being held:

Agenda items are:

1.to provide the COI with an update on the status of the voluntary administration
2.for the COI to consider and provide their views on a request to bring an application to extend the period within which the Administrators must convene the second meeting of creditors
3.to answer any questions the COI might have
4.any other business

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
To celebrate the fact that we actually get to go to friday's game, here's my best guess at this weeks team:

Kellaway, Anderson, Proctor, Feliuai, Daugunu, C Gordon, Louwrens
Gibbon, Mafi, Tupou, Canham, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Kemeny, Wilkin, Leota
Res: Uelese, IAK, Talakai, Maiava, Ekuasi, Maunder, Strachan, G Vaihu

I think that's largely be uncontroversial: could easily swap halfbacks or hookers around. Eloff and Pone both seem to be still carrying niggles, so have left both out. Maiava is my left field pick, I've got a sneaky feeling that with Kevin's concern around lock depth he might go for the young energy of Daniel coming off a very good preseason and U20s campaign rather than Tualima or Smith.