• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Melbourne Rebels 2024

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
I am really confused right now as to how the Rebels are operating.

It’s been reported we handed the licence back to RA, so I assume this means that MRRU can’t be the vehicle which the team is playing under. This is supported by the liquidation extensions. If a report was due to be handed down on two weeks recommending liquidation that would mean the organisation stops running. I’m assuming that the team is operating fully under RA. I assume there is some deal done around the IP to allow them to play as the Melbourne Rebels, use the logo etc.

The directors action against RA seems to be directed to getting up a DOCA to get the Rebels out of insolvency. It helps the directors but not the club unless they think they can get the licence back. I expect that $8m action will be accompanied by another claim to get the licence back and a further claim against RA for bad conduct in withholding payments from the Rebels. It’s going to be big, nasty and drawn-out, however if it does succeed will see the Rebels continue.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Like other recent cases, it probably won't matter if it would have succeeded or not, the cost/risk to RA of fighting through the courts (if it gets to that) will be prohibitive, and it will be cheaper to settle it. Both financial and reputational

It would be interesting though. MRRU are voting members of RA and presumably signed off on financial statements and big RA funding decisions, or at least they would have had the opportunity to oppose it if they could get a majority

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
I am too. Who is paying for the whole squad and entourage to jet all over Australasia this upcoming season, hotels, food etc, not to mention big ol' salaries for all concerned?

#2_girls_cars_1_cup_bankrupt_team_ffs
RA is paying. Which is probably why they just made 10 of their staff redundant

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
1708657907435.png

More speculation on who is in the firing line. Complete disaster to shrink down to only three teams.

Reactions: dru

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
If they do survive what sort of side runs out next year? Going off the list on page 1 the Rebels have 14 players who finish their contract this year.

There would be no talk of extensions and recruiting one would assume right now but these players would be looking to secure their futures.

Sounds a lot simpler than it is but a call needs to be made one way or another.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
... however if it does succeed will see the Rebels continue.

stoff - if RA is hugely knocked around in costs how does any club continue?

Complete disaster to shrink down to only three teams.

I can't see myself continuing as a fan of Super if that happens. It will be a close run thing if there is no plan for an on-going team in Melbourne.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I do want to be clear I'm not advocating the rebels be cut, I'm just trying to understand the motivation and consequences behind the boards decision to go after RA here. As far as I can tell their success would only serve to make them whole (or nearer to it) and not do much of anything to actually save the club.

I don't think it's got anything to do with close to making them whole again. They're never getting the money they loaned to the Rebels back.

It's about trying to get a source of funds to pay the ATO so they're not on the hook for the director penalty notices.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I don't think it's got anything to do with close to making them whole again. They're never getting the money they loaned to the Rebels back.

It's about trying to get a source of funds to pay the ATO so they're not on the hook for the director penalty notices.
Yeah, sorry I was just sort of lumping their financial claims together. As far as I understand the largest director loan was something like $600k, so the $1.6m they're on the hook for over the tax bill is far and away the thing they'd be most keen to clear.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)

Where does repayment of ATO PAYG tax fall on the priority list of creditors? If they get the $8m does that wipe their personal liabilities, or do others get repaid first?

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I don’t really expect they’ll be able to do so much beyond 2024 at this point regardless of what happens.

I'm really hoping that is not the case, whether or not it is under the Rebels banner. Have to say though, I'm not very confident. Perhaps the 2025 team guarantee for broadcasting may tip the balance.

All the best in 2024 anyway.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Where does repayment of ATO PAYG tax fall on the priority list of creditors? If they get the $8m does that wipe their personal liabilities, or do others get repaid first?
ATO is an unsecured creditor and sits alongside the rest with equal rights.

The ability to issue Director Penalty Notices and garnishees are a separate statutory power which allows them to recoup outside of the standard liquidation process. If the directors were to pay those individual fines, that does come off the Rebels debts though, and vice versa.

Steve_Grey

Sydney Middleton (9)
ATO is an unsecured creditor and sits alongside the rest with equal rights.

The ability to issue Director Penalty Notices and garnishees are a separate statutory power which allows them to recoup outside of the standard liquidation process. If the directors were to pay those individual fines, that does come off the Rebels debts though, and vice versa.
Super Rugby will be over by the time this is resolved!

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
Absolutely disgusting, they talked about playing with pride and playing for the city. Tonight’s performance was disgraceful. Absolutely pathetic how about some heart? How about showing you care for the jersey you play in.

As a Rebels member I have seen a lot of losses but I have never been left feeling embarrassed like I was today

Fuck me I drank 20 over priced mid strength’s and ate the dog shit food they serve there and could have still thrown a line out better than either of the Rebels hookers. It shows where Aus Rugby is at that Uelese can make a national squad, his line out throwing is like a broken clock as he only gets it right twice a day. No different to his days in the junior Wallabies. We talk about coaching but what about accountability for the players? You can lead a horse to water but you can’t make it drink. If they don’t have the level of professionalism or the pride in their own performance to get those basics right get rid of them.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
RM

Any idea of the crowd, and how many do you think who were there tonight will turn up next match

wamberal99

Johnnie Wallace (23)
I thought Leota was pretty good, he tried hard. The team looked like a bunch of players who had met each other in the sheds before the game. Dreadful coaching. What was the game plan?

No heart. No idea. No hope.