• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Melbourne Rebels 2024

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Rebels have had much better rosters and done exactly as badly in the past. Just not a functional club.

Only one of those in Australia really...

Rebelsfan

Billy Sheehan (19)
Scenario 1: Debts paid off by current directors to avoid bankruptcy and loss of reputation (what's left of it) - but where to then? Surely the old board are not reappointed. Melbourne Rebels are owned by Vic Rugby Union who surely would be trying to put together a new board and feelers out for a new CEO who can actually build revenues. By my calculations, a $22 m loss from end of 2017 to end of 2023 is about $3.7 m loss per year. That's what the new CEO has to come up with or no way can they continue to operate.
BTW, I'm thinking that VRU President, Neil Hay should resign that post, as should Paul Docherty resign as Director and Owain Stone - who hasn't seen fit to lodge annual reports with CAV since 2017 but is an accountant by trade, - should resign as Finance Director.
The VRU is owned by the member clubs - make your voice heard at the upcoming annual meeting and get new representation at Board level.
Scenario 2: Over to you ?

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
Scenario 1: Debts paid off by current directors to avoid bankruptcy and loss of reputation (what's left of it) - but where to then? Surely the old board are not reappointed. Melbourne Rebels are owned by Vic Rugby Union who surely would be trying to put together a new board and feelers out for a new CEO who can actually build revenues. By my calculations, a $22 m loss from end of 2017 to end of 2023 is about $3.7 m loss per year. That's what the new CEO has to come up with or no way can they continue to operate.
BTW, I'm thinking that VRU President, Neil Hay should resign that post, as should Paul Docherty resign as Director and Owain Stone - who hasn't seen fit to lodge annual reports with CAV since 2017 but is an accountant by trade, - should resign as Finance Director.
The VRU is owned by the member clubs - make your voice heard at the upcoming annual meeting and get new representation at Board level.
Scenario 2: Over to you ?
Where are we coming up with 4m per year in this BS comp? All it does is bleed the game dry.

We pay boys for 12 months to have them sit on their arse for 8

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
had an outsiders go at an Alltime Melbourne Rebels XV.

had some great players on their books a lot of whom never really achieved much for the team

1 Jermaine Ainsley lol
2 Adam Freier wut
3 Greg Somerville ffs
4 Luke Jones
5 Matt Philip
6 Sean McMahon
7 Jordy Reid
8 Scott Higginbotham
9 Will Genia
10 Quade Cooper
11 Marika Koroibete
12 Matt To'omua
13 Stirling Mortlock
14 James O'Connor
15 Kurtley Beale

Rebelsfan

Billy Sheehan (19)
Where are we coming up with 4m per year in this BS comp? All it does is bleed the game dry.

We pay boys for 12 months to have them sit on their arse for 8
Of course, if they slimmed down the 25 off field staff members, assuming a rough $100,000 per position, they could knock $1.5 m off. I mean, not to be too blunt, they have 7 staff in the High Performance department - haven't seen the results though; 7 staff in Consumer and Marketing - 7! the only time I've seen the Rebels on the news was this week, to report the humiliating loss of 3-30 against the Brumbies forget about being upfront and centre on the radar of what's happening in Melbourne.

Last edited:

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Is there any way MR can force RA to give them their Super Rugby licence back at this point? Or is it completely up to RA?

Last edited:

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
Of course, if they slimmed down the 25 off field staff members, assuming a rough $100,000 per position, they could knock $1.5 m off. I mean, not to be too blunt, they have 7 staff in the High Performance department - haven't seen the results though; 7 staff in Consumer and Marketing - 7! the only time I've seen the Rebels on the news was this week, to report the humiliating loss of 3-30 against the Brumbies forget about being upfront and centre on the radar of what's happening in Melbourne.
If they sack the high performance staff they will just get shitter on field making it harder to make money

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)

had some great players on their books a lot of whom never really achieved much for the team

1 Jermaine Ainsley lol
2 Adam Freier wut
3 Greg Somerville ffs
4 Luke Jones
5 Matt Philip
6 Sean McMahon
7 Jordy Reid
8 Scott Higginbotham
9 Will Genia
10 Quade Cooper
11 Marika Koroibete
12 Matt To'omua
13 Stirling Mortlock
14 James O'Connor
15 Kurtley Beale

1. Keita Inagaki
2. Adam Freier
3. Greg Somerville
4. Geoff Parling
5. Adam Coleman
6. Scott Higginbotham
7. Sean McMahon
8. Amanaki Mafi

9. Will Genia
10. Quade Cooper
11. Marika Koroibete
12. Matt To'omua
13. Stirling Mortlock
14. Kotaro Matsushima
15. Kurtley Beale

16. Shota Horie 17. Rodzilla 18. Tyrel Lomax 19. Matt Philip 20. Rob Leota 21. Nick Phipps 22. James O'Connor 23. Mark Gerrard

• Wow
Reactions: dru

Alex Sharpe

Chris McKivat (8)

1 Jermaine Ainsley lol
2 Adam Freier wut
3 Greg Somerville ffs
4 Luke Jones
5 Matt Philip
6 Sean McMahon
7 Jordy Reid
8 Scott Higginbotham
9 Will Genia
10 Quade Cooper
11 Marika Koroibete
12 Matt To'omua
13 Stirling Mortlock
14 James O'Connor
15 Kurtley Beale
You are absolutely correct. Some seriously quality names, but how many of them played their best rugby in a rebels jersey?

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
Is there any way MR can force RA to give them their Super Rugby licence back at this point? Or is it completely up to RA?

Tim North.

The only way I could see it is if they showed RA's conduct to have been unconscionable or whatever the correct term is and forced them into insolvency by withholding monies due to trigger the hand back of the license. Feels like a long shot and MRRU would be more of a hollowed-out shell than it is now by the time it resolved.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
as much and all as it pains me to say it - it's over, done and dusted, could have and should have been great. its been an almighty fuck up since the inception, starting with the VRU's poor effort to get the licence in the first place, the hubris of the initial pitch c/w the Force was terrible. The ARU (as it was) none the less should have gone with Melbourne, and when they did 5 years later should not have hamstrung the recruiting efforts, should have poured many more $$$ into marketing and promotion, should NOT have parachuted in TT. The private owners were not allowed to do their own thing. I have no idea why the board in the last few years let the finances get so out of whack, one assumes they banked on RA making good the "Covid deficit", or PE funding Rugby. The on field performances with a few exceptions have been underwhelming, despite having at time a very competitive squad, no wonder the crowds have dwindled. It has been a master class in how not to do expansion.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Tim North.

The only way I could see it is if they showed RA's conduct to have been unconscionable or whatever the correct term is and forced them into insolvency by withholding monies due to trigger the hand back of the license. Feels like a long shot and MRRU would be more of a hollowed-out shell than it is now by the time it resolved.
Rebels (&VRU) have been voting members through all of the decisions over the last few years. I wonder if they have been actively voting against RA boards actions at RA AGMs etc.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
as much and all as it pains me to say it - it's over, done and dusted, could have and should have been great. its been an almighty fuck up since the inception, starting with the VRU's poor effort to get the licence in the first place, the hubris of the initial pitch c/w the Force was terrible. The ARU (as it was) none the less should have gone with Melbourne, and when they did 5 years later should not have hamstrung the recruiting efforts, should have poured many more $$$ into marketing and promotion, should NOT have parachuted in TT. The private owners were not allowed to do their own thing. I have no idea why the board in the last few years let the finances get so out of whack, one assumes they banked on RA making good the "Covid deficit", or PE funding Rugby. The on field performances with a few exceptions have been underwhelming, despite having at time a very competitive squad, no wonder the crowds have dwindled. It has been a master class in how not to do expansion.
Fully agree
End of the day the performances have been consistently poor. I’ve been a supporter and constantly have friends telling me how shit the rebels are and “I thought they were supposed to have a good team”
Results matter everywhere but especially in a new growth market.
Quite annoying

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
Rebels (&VRU) have been voting members through all of the decisions over the last few years. I wonder if they have been actively voting against RA boards actions at RA AGMs etc.
Hard one for them - vote against and have the rug pulled out from under you - play along and have the same happen. The federated voting structure doesn’t really provide much cover when 10/16 votes pretty much rely on the status quo for support.