• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Wilson

David Codey (61)
anyone seen crowd numbers for the Sunday of Super Round?
10,582. Just marginally better than Friday

1000015492.png

LevitatingSocks

Chris McKivat (8)
Maybe Super Round would fare better in a city with a more vibrant rugby culture. Do it in Brisbane and let people run feral on Caxton Street.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Maybe Super Round would fare better in a city with a more vibrant rugby culture. Do it in Brisbane and let people run feral on Caxton Street.

Rugby potentially looking to avoid a direct comparison to Magic Round.

Will be another feather in NRL cap if they sellout Suncorp for 3 days and we end up with 15k for a similar event.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Not sure the NRL would really care and Rugby need to swallow its pride and put it where it can engage more than current numbers.

It's just talking corpses like Rothfield and loud mouth Voss that would bring it up. A lot of the major League personalities don't seem to care and aren't bothered by Rugby. Funny that most of the former players now in media are the friendlier ones towards Rugby.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
The local meet & greets Rugby Victoria advertised all seemed to be ad hoc sessions by local clubs and the Super Sides in the last couple of weeks rather than any formal arrangement as well. Can't blame everything on TEG, Visit Vitoria (or whatever the tourist arm of the government are calling themselves now) should play their part, but that still seems like it should have been a no brainer to be organised and advertised in the 6-8 weeks leading in.

drewprint

John Solomon (38)
Not sure the NRL would really care and Rugby need to swallow its pride and put it where it can engage more than current numbers.

It's just talking corpses like Rothfield and loud mouth Voss that would bring it up. A lot of the major League personalities don't seem to care and aren't bothered by Rugby. Funny that most of the former players now in media are the friendlier ones towards Rugby.

And that smirking, perennially self satisfied dropkick Roy Masters.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Just read the Australian article from Sat (had to wait till the library opened asI refuse to ever give Murdock my $$$) the tone sounds like either Brumbies or Force could be cut, back to 3 teams.

Oh and Waugh has enlisted McKinsey for a "review"- probably another few $100k waste so he has a report to hide behind

Yes, and I probably shouldn't give this any more oxygen but the Australian has been running the same story every week, usually on a Friday just in time for the weekend, followed by a correction once the story has gone viral, and yet no one else in the rugby press is running with these bombshells?

This week Halloran is joined by special guest Phil Kearns who is also a keen on 3 teams and would you believe a defender of McLennan... who would've thought?!

Obviously the loss of the Rebels would be a big blow for Australian rugby, but if we go down to 3 we may as well just shut the whole thing down.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Yes, and I probably shouldn't give this any more oxygen but the Australian has been running the same story every week, usually on a Friday just in time for the weekend, followed by a correction once the story has gone viral, and yet no one else in the rugby press is running with these bombshells?

This week Halloran is joined by special guest Phil Kearns who is also a keen on 3 teams and would you believe a defender of McLennan... who would've thought?!

Obviously the loss of the Rebels would be a big blow for Australian rugby, but if we go down to 3 we may as well just shut the whole thing down.
If ever a bloke needed to go fuck himself.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
In Phil's case it would be one of those situations where some elitist wanker advocates for a policy from which they know they won't suffer any consequences. Could anyone see his beloved Tahs get cut?

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
I think it's time the 5 teams actually ban together and enter a PE agreement for Super Rugby and let RA just control the Wallabies and grass roots, they obviously don't learn and have no idea how to run super rugby while engaging fans.
The member unions and super rugby teams (+RUPA) have already banded together. The organisation they all setup and "own" is currently called Rugby Australia. They all get to vote for how things are run, get to vote for all board members and can even remove the chair of the board if they don't like how it's going.

Last edited:

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
The member unions and super rugby teams (+RUPA) have already banded together. The organisation they all setup and "own" is currently called Rugby Australia. They all get to vote for how things are run, get to vote for all board members and can even remove the chair of the board if they don't like how it's going.
Always make me wonder too Strewth, why or how would they vote against basically themselves? For all some seeing what RA is doing is bad, RA is the States combined, and the State boards are put in by the clubs! They aren't allcompletely seperate indentities with no connection!

Last edited:

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Always make me wonder too Strewth, why or how would they vote against bsically themselves? For all some seeing what RA is doing is bad, RA is the States combined, and the State boards are put in by the clubs! They aren't allcompletely seperate indentities with no connection!
I think a lot of people think of RA as the head office, with states and Super Rugby teams as branch offices, when in fact it's up the other way around.

RA reports to the member unions and Super Rugby teams (+RUPA)

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I think a lot of people think of RA as the head office, with states and Super Rugby teams as branch offices, when in fact it's up the other way around.

RA reports to the member unions and Super Rugby teams (+RUPA)

Agreed - but clearly the states do not have their underling under effective control.

I think it is nuts to think that Waugh is not a shrink fan. He voices non-committal but at the moment it means the same thing.