• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
@Omar Comin' , mate I know you suggesting that tongue in cheek, any talk of billionaires stepping in to save Aus rugby is really just looking at easy way out. There is no way RA will go down gurgler, but to regain it's strength can only be done with hard work. Money that comes easily tends to be spent easily.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
@Omar Comin' , mate I know you suggesting that tongue in cheek, any talk of billionaires stepping in to save Aus rugby is really just looking at easy way out. There is no way RA will go down gurgler, but to regain it's strength can only be done with hard work. Money that comes easily tends to be spent easily.

Hard work + a big chunk of money, or even just a very cheap loan would be better though! I was being a little tongue in cheek, but I do actually think it'd be a good way for a very wealthy person who loves the game to use their money. I believe RA's intention with the 2027 world cup windfall is to start an investment fund that presumably will pay out a small % annually, but build over time. Wealthy benefactor(s) could supercharge that and ensure the sport is financially strong in perpetuity.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Pretty clear from this statement that the intent is to ignore the realities of the present and work on fucking up the next whole next 10 years.

Who has a strategy summit when one of it's members is imploding and swnging punches at the umbrella organisation?

It's almost as though getting several busy people in the same room requires locking in a date a few months out!

young gun

Fred Wood (13)

NFL and EPL both exist off the back of Billionaire largess, as does the French T14. I guess the NBL as well for that matter, and many other "successful"sports so it's not such a left field comment. We need money to do pretty much anything we need to, so bring on the Billionaire, He / She has my vote. Having said that, there are already "Rugby Benefactor's"that pump large amounts into the sport but mostly aimed at the player of their choice, thinking maybe J Suali, a Federal Senator, a disgraced cross code hopper etc.

RemainingInTheGame

Peter Burge (5)
It's almost as though getting several busy people in the same room requires locking in a date a few months out!
Yes, I get that - but I'd suggest that either it could have been moved, or re-purposed to focus on the immediate future (which may well have been some of the discussion) and that the comms could have been a bit more nuanced to acknowledge that the elephant in the room is being addressed.

It reads as a complete puff piece of marketing guff, and that annoyed me enough to post.

Pone's Mullet

Alex Ross (28)
Yes, I get that - but I'd suggest that either it could have been moved, or re-purposed to focus on the immediate future (which may well have been some of the discussion) and that the comms could have been a bit more nuanced to acknowledge that the elephant in the room is being addressed.

It reads as a complete puff piece of marketing guff, and that annoyed me enough to post.
Hit the nail on the head. Not even marketing, just needed some web content - I reckon Chat GPT wrote it

Pone's Mullet

Alex Ross (28)
RA is already going down the gurgler - huge debt ($80 loan, to pay a $50m loan), little revenue, no crowds, bad governance, hubris (spending 1 year's running cost *$6m allegedly) on taking 250 people on a jolly to the WC)

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
huge debt ($80 loan, to pay a $50m loan),

It's an $80m facility. They drew down on it to repay the previous loan (essentially a refinance) and then have additional funds to draw down on up to that agreed $80m limit. They don't pay interest on amounts they haven't drawn down yet.

Homer

Ted Fahey (11)
RA needs some genuine assets to support itself and grow in the future, they currently own nothing of value. NRL just bought another hotel pushing their asset register over $250m and the AFL asset register assures them of huge income. We rely on broadcast for everything and the tiny size of sponsorship for Super Rugby teams is embarrassing to say the least.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
RA needs some genuine assets to support itself and grow in the future, they currently own nothing of value. NRL just bought another hotel pushing their asset register over $250m and the AFL asset register assures them of huge income. We rely on broadcast for everything and the tiny size of sponsorship for Super Rugby teams is embarrassing to say the least.
You'll probably need to jump into your time machine and pop back to 2003 at the latest with that suggestion.

Last edited:

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

HP strategy

• Develop a national high-performance strategy with a focus on delivering an integrated model to optimise performance across Super Rugby and national teams.
  • Create a High-Performance Advisory Group to access more HP expertise, and to complement the expertise within RA and its Board – RA will evaluate its existing Rugby Committee and identify opportunities to broaden its knowledge base.
  • Develop a systematic review cycle for national teams including standardised methodology.
  • Agree set metrics for board and executive to conduct regular reviews to drive stronger accountability and transparency.
Wallabies and HP programs

• Reset the formal player leadership structure of the Wallabies.
  • Implement a shared leadership model across players and coaches.
  • Establish more clearly defined roles and responsibilities for coaching staff and team captain in selection process.
  • Refine the team selection process to be more transparent for players.
  • Development of cohesive training and program principles to establish more clarity for players.
  • Employ an experienced S&C expert to lead physical preparation in collaboration with Super Rugby clubs.
  • Consider optimisation of Wallabies HP support team; numbers, roles, competency and experience levels, integration into broader HP system with Super Rugby clubs.
  • New Director of HP (Peter Horne) to manage stakeholder expectations and set clear priorities that are understood across HP system.
  • Develop success profiles for Wallabies coaching team.
Culture

• Foster greater interaction between RA Board and national players, to build trust, promote transparency & improve culture.
  • Investigate measures to build greater connection between players and leadership – and leverage to facilitate more cooperative behaviours, build group cohesion and trust.
  • Create an environment that is built on trust with an emphasis on player and staff welfare.
  • Design and embed a Wallabies Team Legacy with input from the playing group.
  • Build cultural capability and embed culturally inclusive practices within the Wallabies environment and across the HP system.
Governance

• RA to undertake a governance review with regard to HP.
  • Review of current HP practices and policies to ensure ‘fit-for-purpose’ policies and processes – i.e. safeguarding framework, duty of care charter, robust escalation/whistleblowing process.
  • RA to review its HP recruitment, selection and transition processes.
National coaching program

• RA to consider development of a national HP and leadership strategy that prioritises development and acquisition of technical experts and Rugby leaders.
  • Evaluate a customised national approach to leadership development across coaches, players, staff and executive.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)

HP strategy

• Develop a national high-performance strategy with a focus on delivering an integrated model to optimise performance across Super Rugby and national teams.
  • Create a High-Performance Advisory Group to access more HP expertise, and to complement the expertise within RA and its Board – RA will evaluate its existing Rugby Committee and identify opportunities to broaden its knowledge base.
  • Develop a systematic review cycle for national teams including standardised methodology.
  • Agree set metrics for board and executive to conduct regular reviews to drive stronger accountability and transparency.

• Establish more clearly defined roles and responsibilities for coaching staff and team captain in selection process.
  • Development of cohesive training and program principles to establish more clarity for players.
  • Employ an experienced S&C expert to lead physical preparation in collaboration with Super Rugby clubs.
  • Consider optimisation of Wallabies HP support team; numbers, roles, competency and experience levels, integration into broader HP system with Super Rugby clubs.
  • New Director of HP (Peter Horne) to manage stakeholder expectations and set clear priorities that are understood across HP system.
Culture

• Foster greater interaction between RA Board and national players, to build trust, promote transparency & improve culture.
  • Investigate measures to build greater connection between players and leadership – and leverage to facilitate more cooperative behaviours, build group cohesion and trust.
  • Create an environment that is built on trust with an emphasis on player and staff welfare.
  • Build cultural capability and embed culturally inclusive practices within the Wallabies environment and across the HP system.
Governance

• Review of current HP practices and policies to ensure ‘fit-for-purpose’ policies and processes – i.e. safeguarding framework, duty of care charter, robust escalation/whistleblowing process.

• RA to consider development of a national HP and leadership strategy that prioritises development and acquisition of technical experts and Rugby leaders.
  • Evaluate a customised national approach to leadership development across coaches, players, staff and executive.
so.. everything's fucked and do it again?

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
Don't do what Eddie don't does...
8iavt8.jpg

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member

HP strategy

Culture

Governance

It feels like I just won buzzword bingo.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
It feels like I just won buzzword bingo.
Was just thinking the same thing.

It’s just fluff that some people gobble up. Throw a couple of cultures, add transparency, environment, community haha. I’m not sure there is one directly measurable point in here. Something like increase revenue by 10% year on year. Provide 5% player wage growth. Employ xyz development officers.

Not sure a single thing can actually be measured. So we are officially on track for achieving making everyone feel warm and fuzzy, and not actions.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
There is a strong whiff of corporate speak motherhood statement guff about it, no doubt.

I don't disagree with the goals though. What is required now is a roadmap of implementation steps, with defined milestones and measurable outcomes. In my experience of the corporate world (I've been both a senior manager and am now a consultant) the roadmap is what is usually missing from these reviews (I know the remit often doesn't include that).