• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
“The over-investment that was unapproved was $2.6 million, which covered three main elements: team costs, staff travel and player benefits,” Waugh told reporters on Thursday.

“Delegation of authority is important. Clearly there were breaches in that area and we’ve made personnel changes on the back of some of those breaches.”

Asked if Webb was responsible, Waugh said: “I’m not going to point the finger at one individual. I think it was a cultural deficiency that we need to rectify.”

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
When they said the person has been sacked. They could have meant Hamish McLennan… don’t forget he bragged about flying over the board.

who approves that kind of travel? The board, the chairman or the ceo?

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
2.6 Million and the Wallabies left at the group stage, image the total if they made the semis or final
I guess that with Eddie's 'smash and grab' promise the expectation was that RA would have recouped any overspend in spadefulls as reigning world champions.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
It was around leaking it to the media; basically, they wouldn't keep their mouths shut and tell their agents, who would then tell the press, and the gig would be up...
The whole thing is so dumb. Christy Doran and others were reporting he was out almost straight away after he was injured

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Hmmm... maybe prepaying the hotel rooms through to after the RWC Final in order to save 10% on the room prices wasn't a great idea.

Also, booking an extra business class seat to bring the Cup home might have been a little frivilous.
Booking in the ticker tape parades was classic Eddie planning. Always so thorough. thinks of everything.

His 24/7 overtime timesheet charges were a little over the top though. But the man never sleeps

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
All jokes aside, I really hope they at least had fun with some of the $2.6m extra they pissed against the wall. Hate to think, they had a shitty time getting beat then came home $2.6m extra in the hole.

Pone's Mullet

Alex Ross (28)
No doubt about this. I just don't see what bringing the captain into the selection tent achieves, especially if their own position is under threat.

The Australian cricket team used to occasionally tear itself apart on overseas tours because of this

And which captain? Eddie had 6 of them
If you're Sua'ali'i, how do you think you're feeling?

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
The Wallabies’ dismal World Cup campaign blew its budget by $2.6 million, or some 10 per cent, as Rugby Australia splurged on travel spending and benefits for players.

From the AFR story on the overspend.

We can't have spent $20m on this campaign can we? Surely not

Reactions: MLF

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
I can understand the dislike of the 'corporate speak', but the underlying findings/outcomes shouldn't be dismissed as a result. The report has highlighted several fundamental flaws in the governance, structure, and operation of RA and has laid the foundations for those issues to be addressed. It's a positive result which, if actioned, should lead us to greener pastures.