• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Southern Inland Rugby 2024

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Is it being done for Future Safety concerns or because of the multitude of claims that have been made by ex- players against World Rugby and this is a form of appeasement ?

Suggest both.

And yeah the refereeing will be interesting - I guess in a way it helps direct players away from accidental slip ups. If a tackle rides up then it is less likely to hit the head.

Still going to be tough to adjudicate though.

centralwestrep

Frank Nicholson (4)
This is great news about the Phantom's return but I hope all of these efforts are working towards a sustainable future for the club not just 50th anniversary celebrations.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
That's pretty lenient - in Subbies you lose 2 points if you forfeit prior to 10AM Saturday, and 4 points after. Club Championship points applied at the stated multiplier (22 for First Grade, 12 for Second Grade etc)

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
You actually lose points instantly. 2 points for the grade forfeiting and every grade above. So if a 3rd grade side forfeits your 2s and 1s lose points too.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
You actually lose points instantly. 2 points for the grade forfeiting and every grade above. So if a 3rd grade side forfeits your 2s and 1s lose points too.

OK so that's NOT lenient. In Subbies, if you forfeit, it is just that grade BUT if you forfeit a higher grade on the day, everything below that is forfeited.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Referee numbers for 2024 will be interesting - unfortunately the more teams that enter in each Grade the more pressure on Referee numbers.

We put in place a system of mandatory referee requirements for clubs. Top Divisions had to have at least 2 qualified referees. The idea was that they would referee their lowest grade at Home in order to take the strain off NSWRRA allocations.

Lower divisions had to qualify at least 2 x ARs so that we had badged members on the sideline.

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
It’s difficult to believe we are considering the Leeton scenario again. They’ve pulled out of different grades over a number of years. Even the girls team were withdrawn during last season I believe. What happens if yet again the Phantoms leave the rest of the competition in the lurch?

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
I didn’t even think of it in those terms Reasoning. I thought what if 1/2 through the season they withdraw from the competition do we just accept the situation again like we have in the past?

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
Interesting to see if Phantoms can put a good 1st grade team on the field this year Mauler. Controversial as ever Mauler I don’t think they will be able do it. Good luck to Leeton though I hope they can come up with something.

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
Interesting to see if Phantoms can put a good 1st grade team on the field this year Mauler. Controversial as ever Mauler I don’t think they will be able do it. Good luck to Leeton though I hope they can come up with something.
i have zero faith that they wont pull the pin. Nothing against them as a club but the form is terrible.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
How are ref numbers in SIRU? Same as everywhere i.e. shrinking and aging?
There will probably a bit of same same from the past few seasons for referee numbers.

The reality is that (for all sporting teams across all codes in all locations) volunteer numbers across the board are dropping.

There's some exciting developments for the game being pushed locally with the Women's competition shifting to a larger game format as well as girls from sevens to tens.

These are all fabulous efforts by the zone and are important for the growth and longevity of the game, but there also needs to be the supporting elements around the community to make these things a success and referees are important to that.

centralwestrep

Frank Nicholson (4)

This is disappointing as the Drovers did such a great job with the club last year getting back and playing well in first grade.

Deniliquin decision forces Southern Inland to revisit draws​

A lack of player numbers have forced Deniliquin to withdraw from the Southern Inland first grade competition.
After playing first grade for the first time in more than 20 years last season, the Drovers pulled out of the 2024 competition this week.
It has left the Southern Inland draw in a state of flux.
Deniliquin finished their return to the top grade in fifth place, with a couple of close results in the back end of the season, preventing them from a finals appearance.
Even as late as last month, the Drovers had been weighing up whether to field both first and second grade teams in 2024.
However recent developments with their playing group has forced the move.
Joe Gogarty was one of the real driving forces behind getting Deniliquin not only back on the field, after not taking part in 2022, but into first grade.
The coach admitted it was a tough call to make.
"All of a sudden our numbers just dwindled right down and we had to make the call," Gogarty said.
"It's not ideal but it is how things go.
"A lot of these guys are over here to work and provide money for their families and they are going to go and chase the bit of money.
"It's a bit disappointing, especially after what we achieved last year as it took a lot of hard work to set it up and as a club we were preparing for a first grade season."
Deniliquin have been relying on a large Polynesian influx working on either side of the border.
They had anticipated their players would remain in the region for three years but it hasn't been the case.
Gogarty said around eight of their better players had moved to Sydney for a different work opportunity.
Working on Saturdays was another issue the club was going to face as well as the start of a new rugby league club in Shepparton.
It has left them with around 10 players.
Deniliquin looked to be getting into a strong financial position to help cover their large transportation costs.
hey still hope to be able to take part in the third grade competition.
"The club is really hopeful we will play some sort of footy this year," Gogarty said.
"The only other option would be keeping it all through a third grade side but the third grade comp isn't first grade.
"For me it's really disappointing as we really wanted to have a crack at it this year and it's not to be.
"We've had a lot of discussions with agents, their employers and I would have hated to have struggled with a squad of 20 players and then all of a sudden you're into it and half your side has to work a Saturday and you're forfeiting."
Southern Inland rugby manager Jack Heffernan was close to releasing the draws for the season before Deniliquin's decision.
The competition is still set to start on April 6 however the length of the season is being discussed by the board with a July finish not the preferred option.

namtrak

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Get on board. We’ve locked in one of SURU’s best referees for a chat in the near future.