• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 3: Waratahs v Highlanders - Friday 8 March 2024

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
Go back to where Murphy calls the advantage and note the spot on the ground. Ended takes the kick about 5 meters back and 3-4 meters wider

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
.. well that sucks. That was a very winnable game. They looked somewhat gassed. I feel that they played a lot for not enough reward in that first half. Chasing those early 10pts was the undoing.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
The thing that is embedded in my memory from that game was that last short 45 degree lineout throw by the highlanders. Wasn’t necessarily the difference between winning and losing but that was just poor, with the touchie literally right there.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Not really sure what to make of the tahs or highlanders at this point. Both look a bit too variable but should be competing for the 8 at the end.

I am firming on my opinion of the Crusaders though, they're looking well off the pace

Wilson

David Codey (61)
tahs backrow well below where they needed to be, struggled to compete where it was available and gave away too many penalties when it wasn't. Didn't bring much on the carry either. Complete 180 from last week where they were largely excellent, particularly as a unit.

rugbyAU

Nev Cottrell (35)
.. well that sucks. That was a very winnable game. They looked somewhat gassed. I feel that they played a lot for not enough reward in that first half. Chasing those early 10pts was the undoing.
Exactly too shit a start, in a short season that is the type of game that we just have to win

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Absolutely not blaming the result on the refs, Tahs were atrocious in that second half.

BUT, and I noticed this last week at super duper magic round, the refs miss shit you’d pick up in park footy. Really really low quality.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
NSFW had a bit more verve in possession but it went a bit rudderless in the last 20.

Landers not really treasuring the seed pill gilbert rugby football as much.

Starting to think Barkays Fakatava high risk highwire style might not be suited to test match rugby football..........

Meh, he still has other talents

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
tahs backrow well below where they needed to be, struggled to compete where it was available and gave away too many penalties when it wasn't. Didn't bring much on the carry either. Complete 180 from last week where they were largely excellent, particularly as a unit.
Interesting. I saw it differently. I thought Hanigan was excellent. Gamble & Gleeson not so much excellent but I thought they got through a lot of work. Won’t be surprised if Gambles tackle count is way up there as he seemed to be getting around a lot. Gleeson probably another step down but I noticed he was first cleaner a lot.

As a team though they did turn a bit of ball over, maybe they have something to answer for there.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
1000015920.png

Tahs socials don't care what the ref says

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Also don’t underestimate the energy expended last Saturday night v Cru and then a 6 day turnaround.
... I don't. Which is why you need to be smart as a team how you approach a game. It's something that has undone a lot of AU teams over the years, going hard for a half and looking good, only to taper off and get blown away in the second half.

That didn't happen, but you saw how much that second half slowed down.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Interesting. I saw it differently. I thought Hanigan was excellent. Gamble & Gleeson not so much excellent but I thought they got through a lot of work. Won’t be surprised if Gambles tackle count is way up there as he seemed to be getting around a lot. Gleeson probably another step down but I noticed he was first cleaner a lot.

As a team though they did turn a bit of ball over, maybe they have something to answer for there.
Gamble let a lot of opportunities to get on the ball go begging, Murphy was paying good contest and the highlanders got good pay where Gamble couldn't mostly because he folded over without really attacking the ball. Hanigan was a bit the same but would then give away the penalty by latching afterwards. He did get one good steal but more generally his (and Gleeson's) error rate was too high. Vailanu was much better at the ruck than any of the backrow. Additionally, if you can't secure your own ball it probably means your back row is doing something wrong.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
Those 10 points in the first 10 minutes. We lost the game there