• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 3 Brumbies v Force Canberra 9 March

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
C'mon mate, he is no where near a realistic position to gather the ball.

You can't just stick your hand up and say you were close to touching it and smash in to a reciever

And we then see exactly why the rule exists. It's dangerous. The receiver nearly lands on his head from 3m+ in the air.

That's an easy penalty and yellow card for any ref. This has been how it's ruled since 2016

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Tiatia penalised for letting it go and grabbing it again without getting up. That's a correct penalty that never gets called. Players do it all the time. Would be good to see the refs pick this up more.

Last edited:

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
The early tackle on poolman shows how stupid the game is sometimes. In the first round old mate gets a yellow card and penalty try for that close to the line only because we slow the game down and take 5 minutes to have a look as it was close to the line. Not even a penalty in real time which is how the yellow card pen try should have gone

Yoda

Watty Friend (18)
Potter is very lucky not to have been upgraded to a red card. He was responsible for Swain being hit in the air, even if it was unintentional, and Swain landed on shoulder and almost simultaneously on head. Very close to a red card threshold.
Silly play by him… he’s good though but that hurt the Force straight up from half time. Agree BR, thought it was close to a red.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
should be a red card if we want to talk about clumsily play, that's way worse than potter's yellow card. Player safety and all that. It causes a knock on when the force were probably going to score in the other corner with quick ball. So the force lose the ball and the game due to clumsy play that caused potter to go off the feild for hia.

Last edited:

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Potter is very lucky not to have been upgraded to a red card. He was responsible for Swain being hit in the air, even if it was unintentional, and Swain landed on shoulder and almost simultaneously on head. Very close to a red card threshold.
Dreaming. Swaine landed on his side. It's should have been called a fair contest. Games gone soft

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Force should have won that game. The disallowed try was wrong. If potter isn't kicked in the head they probably score in the corner or get a penalty and win. The force definately fell out of the game for a good 25 minutes in the second half which they need to improve on but the knee to the head on potter was just pure bad luck and lost them the game.

Tool gets away with a stiff arm to potter's head as well.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1709981791910.jpg
    FB_IMG_1709981791910.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 27
  • FB_IMG_1709981796385.jpg
    FB_IMG_1709981796385.jpg
    370.8 KB · Views: 26
  • FB_IMG_1709981794120.jpg
    FB_IMG_1709981794120.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 30

Yoda

Watty Friend (18)
Donaldson seems a different player under Cron. Unfortunately team injuries and lack of depth has hurt the Force but I must say they are playing a good style. The Brumbies did win and good teams do that even when playing badly. Thought the disallowed try was unlucky as Swain wasn’t going to stop that try…

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Donaldson seems a different player under Cron. Unfortunately team injuries and lack of depth has hurt the Force but I must say they are playing a good style. The Brumbies did win and good teams do that even when playing badly. Thought the disallowed try was unlucky as Swain wasn’t going to stop that try…
The "obstruction" was so far off the ball. If the force player didn't put his arm out there is no way it would have been called. Even with that action it made no difference to swain making that tackle.

Yoda

Watty Friend (18)
Force should have won that game. The disallowed try was wrong. If potter isn't kicked in the head they probably score in the corner or get a penalty and win. The force definately fell out of the game for a good 25 minutes in the second half which they need to improve on but the knee to the head on potter was just pure bad luck and lost them the game.

Tool gets away with a stiff arm to potter's head as well.
Agree Shiggins. I thought the Force were the better team and had some very unfair calls. Not with standing falling away and giving away too many penalties. Cron is building over there. A few more buys to shore up depth and the Force will be strong Obi Wan!

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Agree Shiggins. I thought the Force were the better team and had some very unfair calls. Not with standing falling away and giving away too many penalties. Cron is building over there. A few more buys to shore up depth and the Force will be strong Obi Wan!
Yeh I agree. The depth isnt the best. Pool for example. Has the frame but hasn't done anything good in a force jersey once.

It's just a shit way for the game to end. So unlucky to have an injury like that caused by a Brumbies player which turned the ball over and probabaly lost us the game. Talk about bad luck

Yoda

Watty Friend (18)
The "obstruction" was so far off the ball. If the force player didn't put his arm out there is no way it would have been called. Even with that action it made no difference to swain making that tackle.
Yep. …And…. That’s the game .. 5 possible 7. Brumbies are definitely looking way below their usual standard. The Reds so far are the best Aussie team.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Enjoyed this game. The Brumbies took awhile to click into gear and I'm not sure Bernie will be thrilled with where they're at, but The Force are starting to string some nice rugby together. It's a shame they're a little light on depth and couldn't close that one out. In reverse, it was nice to see the Brumbies wake up and start playing. I'm not sure that Wright for the Brumbies is playing his best rugby atm though.

Last edited:

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I thought it was pretty clear obstruction. He runs into the defender and grabs him, albeit very briefly.

Ironically the only chance I thought Force had of getting the try saved was they, even though he was obstructed I still think Swain should have been able to make the tackle. He still appeared to get close enough to me.

Edit: but, of course, that’s not really how the law works

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
I thought it was pretty clear obstruction. He runs into the defender and grabs him, albeit very briefly.

Ironically the only chance I thought Force had of getting the try saved was they, even though he was obstructed I still think Swain should have been able to make the tackle. He still appeared to get close enough to me.

Edit: but, of course, that’s not really how the law works
Swain was never making that tackle. He had plenty of time after the obstruction which didn't impact his ability to make that tackle. It's unlucky. If they collide and the speed they did and he doesn't put his arm out they wouldn't have called it. So it's silly from the force. I still can't understand how potter can be punched in the face and kneed in the head and it's a Brumbies scrum. That penalty wins the force the game.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I can only guess it was because he wasn’t punched in the head and because the knee contact was entirely accidental and due to the fact he was dropping quickly to the ground.

If the situation was reversed and a Force player was penalised for an accidental knee like that you would’ve already written 85 posts about it.

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)
Unfortunately the better/stronger teams always win the penalty count, it is just the way the game works, and it is even more so when they are home team.
The problem now for the rest of the season is that our scrum will be targeted by all the other sides and all the refs will have a pre-conceived bias that the force are going to give away a penalty