• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2024

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
We don't.

My point is that you can't use Valetini playing a lot of 6 at the Brumbies and Wilson playing 8 at the Reds as a reason why they would fit well together in the same team. They're playing largely the same role despite the different jersey numbers.

That is somewhat moot now given they are both playing 8 for their respective Super Rugby side.
BH if you suggested this last year I would agree but I think this year they are playing vastly different roles.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
But will Rob V continue at 8 when Charlie Cale is fit to resume? Personally, I think so with CC on the bench at least for a while, but it will also be impacted by the availability of locks at the Brumbies. Hooper might well find himself back in the second row if injuries continue. Not that this has a lot of influence on whether Rob V and Harry W play similar roles or not. But it could see Rob playing 6 and being in contention for the 8 spot when the tests come around.
BR, Schmidt will be looking for an 8 who can play an open role and mix it in the loose. He will want an 8 who not only closes holes in the D but gives opportunities to our backs, atm that is Wilson my only issue is how smart he is, I prefer a thinking 8 who can open closed cans.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Does anyone know (or know where to find) goal kicking stats? It'd be interesting to know the career (and say last 2 year) goal kicking % for each of the potential 10's.

I feel like Gordon has decent talent when it comes to kicking, and that he actually makes an acceptable amount of kicks from the sideline. His problem is he sometimes misses the really easy shots. I'm not sure if this is due to mental lapses or some technical shortcoming, but you'd think this would be something that could be improved easier than if he could never make a challenging kick.

And if you have a 65% kicker who's a good defender, and a 75% kicker who's not, who do you pick?
65% every time, the D is too important at international level. I would prefer a kicker on or near 80% and then pick the best 10. are none of our fullbacks no good?

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)
I think Tom Hooper offers good versatility in #20 or #21 jersey.

Frost and Salakai Loto starting
The talk was Wilson 8 Valetini 6 and that's RV should play 6 at test level. Wilson and Rob aen't jumping options
should be ok if we don’t have Skelton. If you have frost and Lukhan in the row it should give enough lineout options

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
As it stands he needs to be significantly better than the next best option to be the starting 10 because you're probably going to compromise the side elsewhere to pick a goalkicker.

It probably makes more sense to compromise the side in any position other than 10. Unfortunately, as you mention, all our potential goal kickers are 10's, other than Lonergan, who hasn't kicked much lately, and is in probably the next position you'd least like to compromise.

I think I'm on to something here. Let's get all our wingers and blindside flankers practicing and turn a couple of them into world class goal kickers. Can someone please tell Ned Hanigan to get onto this.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)

should be ok if we don’t have Skelton. If you have frost and Lukhan in the row it should give enough lineout options
I agree re Hooper but also think he may find a home in the 2nd Row in Frosts place as the mobile option. Frost leaves a lot to be desired in defence. He does make up for it around the park with charge downs etc but I think Hooper can slot in there in time.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
I agree re Hooper but also think he may find a home in the 2nd Row in Frosts place as the mobile option. Frost leaves a lot to be desired in defence. He does make up for it around the park with charge downs etc but I think Hooper can slot in there in time.
I hope not. He's a good backrower and I am sick of us chucking good backrowers into lock. There are enough locks around when they all come out of hospital!!!!!!

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

Why wouldn't we pick Skelton though?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
He's the only player we have who, at test level, brings a point of difference. Frost and LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) are serviceable test locks for a tenth ranked nation.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
He's the only player we have who, at test level, brings a point of difference. Frost and LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) are serviceable test locks for a tenth ranked nation.

Big Will is easily good enough to not be interested in stuffing around outsdie of the formal international window. It means that for a big chunk of the internationals the Wallabies have to train without him.

And then the pack must change pretty much EVERYTHING when he actually turns up. He is not a primary jumper and that in turn will impact the back row selections, not just the row.

If we could pick and stick with the bloke there is no choice to make, he's first selected after THP. But that is not the case and he brings compromises that continue past the times that he is available.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I hope not. He's a good backrower and I am sick of us chucking good backrowers into lock. There are enough locks around when they all come out of hospital!!!!!!
Ummm he was a lock long before moving to 6. I don't disagree though he should stay at 6 and I think Frosts a better lock so need for the move.

Brumbies have rang the changes this weekend again, be interesting to see.

noscrumnolife

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I will never stop banging the drum that not picking Skelton where possible is an incredibly low IQ thing to do.

Yes you have to change some things about your pack to make it work.

Yes he is also that good that you change things to accommodate him. I'd argue he is the best tight five forward in the world.

These are also professional rugby players, they will be able to deal with a change. Its not like you throw everything you've been doing out of the window because Will Skelton is in your team. He just makes you better, simple as that.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
He's the only player we have who, at test level, brings a point of difference. Frost and LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) are serviceable test locks for a tenth ranked nation.
Because he rarely plays well for Australia, and doesn’t suit fast-paced Southern Hemisphere rugby.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
So did Alofa Alofa- what’s your point? It’s completely relevant he’s never consistently performed in Bledsoe and RC rugby and when 70% of your test matches are in the Southern Hemisphere. It seems like were obsessed with this notion of a ‘point of difference’ player when Sam Whitlock and Brodie Retallick never had one, and I know who I’d rather have in my team.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
The talk was Wilson 8 Valetini 6 and that's RV should play 6 at test level. Wilson and Rob aen't jumping options
Wilson is a good jumper. Just not as good as Holloway/Hanigan/Wright. He gets used sparingly for Qld because he is always the 4th option.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
If any player who went to the RWC is going to be carrying scar tissue, it’s Will Skelton.

Left field choice for captain, injuries and then the whole Eddie coaching debacle in general. As the captain of the team I imagine there were some closed door conversations which were quite uncomfortable for the bloke. Being the first choice captain of that lunatic would have had its moments.

I think he needs to be included though and hopefully Schmidt unlocks whatever his secret sauce is.