• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2024

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
This notion that Skelton doesn't perform at test level is nonsense. Skelton's last game in gold he was voted POTM by GAGR.

Sure, but aside from all of the most recent tests he played for the Wallabies where he was routinely judged as being one of the best on ground...

146ies.jpg

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
He’s a good player- but the NH circle jerk that goes on about him, Meafou (and even Mack Hansen) is a little ridiculous.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
World Cup rugby is completely different- when has he performed in a rugby championship game?

Last year, apparently...

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Last year, apparently...

So that one time he was able to collect a single point in a game we lost by 30 points? Are you intentionally being obtuse.

This guys meant to be the best player in the world.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
World Cup rugby is completely different- when has he performed in a rugby championship game?

Each of Skelton's involvements with the Wallabies has been progressively better. It wasn't great when he came in with no preparation to join them on the 2021 EOYT but then got better in 2022 and a lot better in 2023.

It is pretty clear to me that the main aspect was just getting more time with the squad.

I would select him to start for the Wallabies whenever possible in a heartbeat.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Each of Skelton's involvements with the Wallabies has been progressively better. It wasn't great when he came in with no preparation to join them on the 2021 EOYT but then got better in 2022 and a lot better in 2023.

It is pretty clear to me that the main aspect was just getting more time with the squad.

I would select him to start for the Wallabies whenever possible in a heartbeat.

Let's say that Schmidt can select, maintain consistency and and build min 2 primary starting back rowers, and a bench back rower, and a bench lock, who are primary jumpers, whether Skelton is present or not. And those selections work with a pack strategy in his absence that doesn't require a similar function from someone else, or we have a starter who can do that with a modicum of ability in that role.

And the usual issue of northern hemisphere Wallabies having limited time with training build up and the game plan -0 in the absence of a need to flip strategy when he is or is not there - yeah OK.

FWIW don't necessarily see that list as impossible, especially with the extraordinary back row options we have in 2024. Schmidt might even be the bloke to pull it together.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I really don't see our selections changing based on Skelton.

The only one I would hesitate against picking would be a starting backrow of Wilson, McReight, Valetini. I have balance concerns with that regardless of the locks though. If Wilson continues to play at this level though we might have to give it a try and see.

No longer having a glaring hole at 6 or 8 certainly helps us with balance in the pack.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
If any player who went to the RWC is going to be carrying scar tissue, it’s Will Skelton.

Left field choice for captain, injuries and then the whole Eddie coaching debacle in general. As the captain of the team I imagine there were some closed door conversations which were quite uncomfortable for the bloke. Being the first choice captain of that lunatic would have had its moments.

I think he needs to be included though and hopefully Schmidt unlocks whatever his secret sauce is.
Skelton is a class lock and I thought as capt. and player he tried to lift a team that was unliftable. If he's not there in the big games Arnold had better improve his game.

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)
Arnold need not be there IMO. Either of them. No slight on Richie but pretty sure he got selected purely to spite Rory.
Yes the non selection of Hooper and Cooper gets all the headlines but the Richie Arnold selection was another shocker by Eddie and then of course he was too arrogant to stop picking him. Dropping Kellaway to start the World Cup was another

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think skelton should be picked, he's good enough so he should play.

The big question mark for me is captain. As old school as it may sound we'd do well to have a captain unafraid to give a spray to someone on the field who made a major mistake, like kolisi's "do your job or get off the field".

whitefalcon

Bob Loudon (25)
I think skelton should be picked, he's good enough so he should play.

The big question mark for me is captain. As old school as it may sound we'd do well to have a captain unafraid to give a spray to someone on the field who made a major mistake, like kolisi's "do your job or get off the field".
If fit I think 7As (Allan Ala'alatoa) will be a strong contender for captain.