• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 5: Drua v Waratahs - Saturday 12pm AEDT

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
That's three close losses in the first five rounds. We all knew we had a hard draw, but its pretty heartbreaking to lose all three. Nothing to do but get back on the horse.

Amongst the dross and claims by others that we were hopeless, to get that close to the Drua in that heat and humidity at their home was grounds for optimism. Better teams than ours have lost to the Drua in Fiji:

1. Some of the forwards had cracking games - Hanigan, Swinton, Holloway, Amatosero I thought went well. No one stood out as hopelessly bad.
2. Backs lacked penetration at times. Jorgensen had a game he'll want to forget.
3. The Gordon/Edmed combination works as a unit, but it doesn't work for the team. Gordon individually has moments of greatness but his delivery to his outside runners is slow. We need Wilson playing big minutes and either Bowen or Harrison have to be given time on the park with a view to Edmed becoming the back-up, not the first choice.

We are still not out of it yet, but we need to start winning the close ones.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
better than a draw
It seems unfair on the ladder that you get nothing for not being beaten in regulation.

In the NHL you still get a point for an extra time loss, I would like this. To me it would be unfair if the Tahs lost out on a finals spot based on a for and against record with a team with the same amount of points but had no extra time games.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I really liked the way Fiji won, it is smart football. Why don't other teams have a crack at a field goal when you have advantage close to the posts, the worse that can happen is you miss then slot the penalty. There are times against good defences (who are willing to be penalised) where Australian teams just cant get over the line but over the whole match could easily get 12-15 points from drop goals.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I really liked the way Fiji won, it is smart football. Why don't other teams have a crack at a field goal when you have advantage close to the posts, the worse that can happen is you miss then slot the penalty. There are times against good defences (who are willing to be penalised) where Australian teams just cant get over the line but over the whole match could easily get 12-15 points from drop goals.
Usually you are better off attempting a high risk play to score a try.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
What a mess of a game. The refs need to take control of games like this. At one point Fiji had their water guy running in the tahs backline !

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
That's three close losses in the first five rounds. We all knew we had a hard draw, but its pretty heartbreaking to lose all three. Nothing to do but get back on the horse.

Amongst the dross and claims by others that we were hopeless, to get that close to the Drua in that heat and humidity at their home was grounds for optimism. Better teams than ours have lost to the Drua in Fiji:

1. Some of the forwards had cracking games - Hanigan, Swinton, Holloway, Amatosero I thought went well. No one stood out as hopelessly bad.
2. Backs lacked penetration at times. Jorgensen had a game he'll want to forget.
3. The Gordon/Edmed combination works as a unit, but it doesn't work for the team. Gordon individually has moments of greatness but his delivery to his outside runners is slow. We need Wilson playing big minutes and either Bowen or Harrison have to be given time on the park with a view to Edmed becoming the back-up, not the first choice.

We are still not out of it yet, but we need to start winning the close ones.
Just finished the game and have a few differing observations:
- Backrow (and reserves) played tough and aggressive, but I think we’re missing a loose forward with more rugby nous and linking ability. Holloway has it but it can be limited playing in the second row.
- I wouldn’t say that Edmed and Gordon were the real issues for us losing that game, more so it was switching off in key moments in the first half and letting in some easy tries. If we win that game, the halves get lauded. In saying that I think Edmed has shown his ceiling, he’s not a natural ball- player and struggles to get the outside backs good ball. I don’t know how much we lose by giving Bowen the reins.
- Outside backs have been disappointing this season especially Mark Mark, who looks a little disinterested, but also Pietsch who hasn’t shown much growth over 2 seasons.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)

Two years ago, Waratahs coach Darren Coleman told reporters in Sydney that they “hadn’t beaten the Chicago Bulls” after a victory against the Drua.

prophecy.gif

Coach Coleman seen here last night trying to quietly hide his comment away in the extensive
NSFW Hot Air/All Talk/No Results Archival Storage Facility.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Just finished the game and have a few differing observations:
- Backrow (and reserves) played tough and aggressive, but I think we’re missing a loose forward with more rugby nous and linking ability. Holloway has it but it can be limited playing in the second row.
- I wouldn’t say that Edmed and Gordon were the real issues for us losing that game, more so it was switching off in key moments in the first half and letting in some easy tries. If we win that game, the halves get lauded. In saying that I think Edmed has shown his ceiling, he’s not a natural ball- player and struggles to get the outside backs good ball. I don’t know how much we lose by giving Bowen the reins.
- Outside backs have been disappointing this season especially Mark Mark, who looks a little disinterested, but also Pietsch who hasn’t shown much growth over 2 seasons.
I don’t entirely agree re: Pietsch. I feel like he’s playing well with what he’s been given. Agree about Mark. He’s definitely not hunting for it like he once did, looks a lot more passive.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Mark N (Nawaqanitawase) too busy watching Roosters games to see how well Tupou and Young are playing.

In all seriousness though I’m not a fan of players announcing signing to other teams (whether within the same code or not) so early. Puts them under an unnecessary microscope.

It’s happening in the NRL as well, JS has a bad game and he needs to be dropped and then he has a good game and the NRL need to stop him from leaving.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
Sometimes I feel like a close loss is way worse than a thumping - you get built up thinking it's on, than nope it's not