• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 5: Hurricanes v Rebels - Friday 22/3 - 5pm AEDT

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
It isn't nonsense. Lawson Creighton, Tom Lynagh, Harry McLaughlin-Phillips, and as you say James O'Connor. If push comes to shove there is also Jock Campbell who can manage first play maker. Carter is fabulous and his brother showed some potential as well. They should both be accommodated within Australian rugby. It just wont be at the Reds barring something very strange. Actually several things.
I'd have Gordon in front of Creighton and who knows how long O'Connor is going to keep pulling on the boots, but HMP has been rather impressive and I like Lynagh's points of difference.

With the prospect of only 4 teams in the future, there is going to be some competition for spots, which probably isn't a bad thing.

Anyway, I found this a bit of a hard watch in so far as the Cane's fractured the Rebels defence again and again. Not sure the start of this weekend has been great with two blowout games. I agree with @Dan54, Tupou looked better, but I'm not sure great, especially for how he is positioned. I also agree with @KevinO, I think the loss of players like Hardwick who were consistent workhorses for this team in years gone past, they're really missing his on ball presence.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
I would take back Carter Gordon for reds in heart beat… think he’d beat out both young prospects… in saying that - I don’t see it happening.

as he is the imcumbant wallaby flyhalf (with Donaldson) and he hasn’t really done anything to lose that title (improvements are being made on his goal kicking) I think he is on Schmidt radar

I suspect he will replace Edmed at the tahs, but I’m hoping Waratah Phil and Herbert see the need for our 5th super rugby side whether In Melbourne or relocate to SEQLD or western Sydney.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), is another guy who has come back from huge NH plaudits to return to pretty much what he was when he left here, a fringe Wallaby who isn't fulfilling his promise.

What's the go? Do we just not see the regular play up north, just the highlights? Is he not fit? being used wrong? Is it the opposition?

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I'd have Gordon in front of Creighton and who knows how long O'Connor is going to keep pulling on the boots, but HMP has been rather impressive and I like Lynagh's points of difference.

With the prospect of only 4 teams in the future, there is going to be some competition for spots, which probably isn't a bad thing.

Anyway, I found this a bit of a hard watch in so far as the Cane's fractured the Rebels defence again and again. Not sure the start of this weekend has been great with two blowout games. I agree with @Dan54, Tupou looked better, but I'm not sure great, especially for how he is positioned. I also agree with @KevinO, I think the loss of players like Hardwick who were consistent workhorses for this team in years gone past, they're really missing his on ball presence.

There is little point, especially if it came with a cost, to slot Gordon in at 3 fighting for 2 when we have a perfectly adequate pipeline. I dont doubt the Gordon is ahead of Creighton for a Wallabies jersey, it isnt really the question.

At any rate, Gordon is fabulous and something of a bright spark right now at the Rebels. Same for Kellaway (who also wouldn't be required at the Reds).

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Fabulous job by the young Canes 10 and 15, looked really good. TJ was great.
Couldn't agree more mate, best game I have seen from Morgan at 10, and I a huge fan of that kid Godfey who was at 15.
I home now after being down at game, and after seeing the game I can say hand on heart, I wouldn't of picked one of Rebels' players over one of Canes last night, and that saying something when you note 4 of backline were having first run of year, 2 were first starts (though one was TJ) etc. Canes forwards won breakdown etc battle well and truly. Being a bit of a rugby nerd, I noted the first time Canes got ball, they immediately ran it wide, and I counted about 15 fast rucks (lol I was counting) they won (0-3 secs?) and Rebels from that stage were buggered. Their answer seemed to be slow the game down as much as possible in 2nd half (looked like that was halftime instructions) , and was noticeable the Canes were using taps etc to keep tham unsettled.
Biggest headache for Canes? Working out who to start, there is some genuine depth there at moment.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Man carter Gordan is tough. Toughest 10 Aussie rugby has had in a long time. Was great to see toupo get more game time and inject well in a few plays.
Gordans brother doenst look half bad either.
I got that impression at game, and after rewatching it today I agree shiggins, he took some hits and bonced up well. He got let down by some other backline members not helping out in defence I thought, and hence they lost the kicking duel.