• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Melbourne Rebels 2024

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Darby is cap 207 and we would have about 30-35 blokes who never actually got capped through things like injury. Just an absurd amount of turnover in 15 years.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
The Easter bunny tells me a number of Rebels have contracts awaiting execution at other teams for 2025.

The manager for the three amigos Mafi, Taniela and LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) are in particular pushing RA to give a clear message within the next few weeks as to whether they can officially announce new deals.

I have a feeling RA might be happy to let Taniela walk because his new deal would free them from his top up.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
The Easter bunny tells me a number of Rebels have contracts awaiting execution at other teams for 2025.

The manager for the three amigos Mafi, Taniela and LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) are in particular pushing RA to give a clear message within the next few weeks as to whether they can officially announce new deals.

I have a feeling RA might be happy to let Taniela walk because his new deal would free them from his top up.

I hope a bunch go to Force. They have a foreign thp, lock, average backrowers, losing their 13 and have average collection of outside backs.

Loving JTA and Ravai at the Reds, but would be a shame if guys like Talakai and Eloff were lost because the Reds and Force currently have foreign props under contract.

Beattie

Bob McCowan (2)

The manager for the three amigos Mafi, Taniela and LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) are in particular pushing RA to give a clear message within the next few weeks as to whether they can officially announce new deals.

They all don’t have the same agent. RA want Tupou.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I hope a bunch go to Force. They have a foreign thp, lock, average backrowers, losing their 13 and have average collection of outside backs.

Loving JTA and Ravai at the Reds, but would be a shame if guys like Talakai and Eloff were lost because the Reds and Force currently have foreign props under contract.

I have heard all three currently have deals ready offshore - LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) and Mafi in Japan & Tupou in Europe.

Wait and see because the situation is still very fluid but part of the issue is RA won’t be keen to start facilitating deals to other Aussie franchises until the whole situation is sorted. Meanwhile the overseas clubs are happy to start throwing the money around and have been in these guys ears for weeks.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
I have heard all three currently have deals ready offshore - LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) and Mafi in Japan & Tupou in Europe.

Wait and see because the situation is still very fluid but part of the issue is RA won’t be keen to start facilitating deals to other Aussie franchises until the whole situation is sorted. Meanwhile the overseas clubs are happy to start throwing the money around and have been in these guys ears for weeks.
But are still under contract, so won't be able to take those deals up at this point.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
But are still under contract, so won't be able to take those deals up at this point.

Mafi isn’t signed for 2025, he can sign another deal whenever. I think his preference was to stay in Australia but with this ongoing drama and an offer on the table, hands will likely be forced.

More complicated for the other two. I assume these convos are being had with most players.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
The players should do what's best for the players.

I think Carter, Gibbo and Rob have a lot to give to the Canary jersey and would be sad to see them leave.

Everyone else should be looking at a combo of what's best for my career and my family, and shouldn't be judged for either taking unders here or fucking off to Europe or Japan, or back to NZ in the case of Ekuasi.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Would be nice if they stayed and strengthened the other four clubs to make super more competitive.

RA will want a portion of players to leave. The other super squads can’t absorb everyone, more players in squads doesn’t automatically equal stronger teams.

My mail about them being happy for Tupou to walk is because it would free RA of his cash which they could use to top up another 2-3 players. It’s not like he’s been well utilised commercially in super rugby either and drawing on star power. He can still play for the wallabies which is where I think RA see his real value.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
RA will want a portion of players to leave. The other super squads can’t absorb everyone, more players in squads doesn’t automatically equal stronger teams.

My mail about them being happy for Tupou to walk is because it would free RA of his cash which they could use to top up another 2-3 players. It’s not like he’s been well utilised commercially in super rugby either and drawing on star power. He can still play for the wallabies which is where I think RA see his real value.
Tupou needs a change imo - doesn’t seem like Rebels program is getting the most out of him, and attitudinally it seems like he’s checked out. Disappointing but hopefully a stint OS gives him the reset he needs and he can fire up for the Wobs, with a return to Super in future.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
The players should do what's best for the players.

I think Carter, Gibbo and Rob have a lot to give to the Canary jersey and would be sad to see them leave.

Everyone else should be looking at a combo of what's best for my career and my family, and shouldn't be judged for either taking unders here or fucking off to Europe or Japan, or back to NZ in the case of Ekuasi.
I think we might see the props stay as they’re not valued OS. Dunno about Tupou, he’s different. But Pone, Gibbo, Talakai, Eloff should be able to stay and on not too much coin which would be great.

It’ll be a shame but surely Canham is being offered 300k+ now and he’d be a fool to say no.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I'm not at all convinced that Tupou, with where his head is at for now, is worth a top up. It's big money and for once we seem to be doing alright in the front row. I'd love for him to prove us wrong in fitness, head space and performance and I've no doubt that is likely to happen overseas. It's just that spending big by RA has other implications.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
T

If rebels fold - your right the other super clubs can’t absorb everyone and RA doesn’t even have a plan for 3rd tier development. (No NRC etc)

We will see more High school rugby players around the country just quit the game all together or B line overseas because there’s 4 teams and only so many roles.

Melbourne/Victoria has been the best rugby nursery for Australia outside of QLD/NSW… how are the Brumbies going to pilfer/raid talent like Rob Valentini if RA turns its back on the game in VIC?

might as well just throw up the white flag and say have at it Storm. Rugby code is all yours in the Southern State

Reactions: dru

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Tupou needs a change imo - doesn’t seem like Rebels program is getting the most out of him, and attitudinally it seems like he’s checked out. Disappointing but hopefully a stint OS gives him the reset he needs and he can fire up for the Wobs, with a return to Super in future.
With all the shit hanging over the Rebels, it is not surprising if TT or any of the others were a bit off their best. But, I reckon there has been noticeable improvement with TT the last two weeks, and I for one am expecting him to see the Wallabies tests this year being motivation to bring out his best as the season progresses.

If he then wants to move o/s after the EOYT, I'd have no concerns. As you say, he would still be eligible to play for the Wallabies if needed.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
T

If rebels fold - your right the other super clubs can’t absorb everyone and RA doesn’t even have a plan for 3rd tier development. (No NRC etc)

We will see more High school rugby players around the country just quit the game all together or B line overseas because there’s 4 teams and only so many roles.

Melbourne/Victoria has been the best rugby nursery for Australia outside of QLD/NSW… how are the Brumbies going to pilfer/raid talent like Rob Valentini if RA turns its back on the game in VIC?

might as well just throw up the white flag and say have at it Storm. Rugby code is all yours in the Southern State
You think that they have a choice? The Rebels management has destroyed rugby in Victoria.. I don't see what they can do... And even if you think RA's at fault.. there's no reason it should have got so bad for so long..

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)

Agree with that. Was referring specifically to tuopo, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) etc referenced in post I quoted but would agree with tuopo. He probably becomes a better prop playing against Irish and South Africa props.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
With all the shit hanging over the Rebels, it is not surprising if TT or any of the others were a bit off their best. But, I reckon there has been noticeable improvement with TT the last two weeks, and I for one am expecting him to see the Wallabies tests this year being motivation to bring out his best as the season progresses.

If he then wants to move o/s after the EOYT, I'd have no concerns. As you say, he would still be eligible to play for the Wallabies if needed.
Agreed, but it shouldn't have taken until round 6 to get him playing (not even) a full half at a standard that resembles anything near his best.

There's been a lot of talk in the past about the more 'relaxed' training/S&C culture at the Rebels and, by Nela's own admission, he needs a fair bit of prodding on that front to be at his best - which is why Thorn got the best out of him and, ultimately, the (rumoured) reason for his departure. Combined with his injury and the EOY break, it really was just a recipe for disaster.