• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

League Targets

Marce

John Thornett (49)
Marce have a look at the performances of Sam Burgess or Tepai Meoroa while you’re orgasming over rugby league forwards playing crash ball center in Union.

In saying that there are definitely league players who would be elite backs in Union, and its not Justin Olam (a 12/13 centre combination of Jack Wighton and Lattrell Mitchell would be world class- both are athletes and footballers).
Sam Burgess' gate was a completely disaster run by English board. He played one game at the backrow, the next at the centre, the next back to the backrow and so on. You can't learn a different code in six months playing in different positions. Even for someone like Michael Hooper would be difficult to switch to the centre, or pick a big centre like Nonu at the backrow. Burgess was a hell of a player and he would have been a beast in rugby with good management.

To that you must add the toxic environment that existed in that English squad:

Tepai Meoroa is far far away of the players we are mentioning, there's no point even saying it

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Sam Burgess' gate was a completely disaster run by English board. He played one game at the backrow, the next at the centre, the next back to the backrow and so on. You can't learn a different code in six months playing in different positions. Even for someone like Michael Hooper would be difficult to switch to the centre, or pick a big centre like Nonu at the backrow. Burgess was a hell of a player and he would have been a beast in rugby with good management.

To that you must add the toxic environment that existed in that English squad:

Tepai Meoroa is far far away of the players we are mentioning, there's no point even saying it
Thing is Tepai was one of the most highly regarded School Boy 12s coming through because he was bludgeoning everything in his way. Doesn’t always translate once defenders can handle it. You need more skill than just being able to bend the line. There’s 10+ Centres/locks you would look at before a Front Rower for a spot in a Rugby Backline.

I’m surprised English Rugby haven’t thrown the cheque book at Herbie Farnworth.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
Thing is Tepai was one of the most highly regarded School Boy 12s coming through because he was bludgeoning everything in his way. Doesn’t always translate once defenders can handle it. You need more skill than just being able to bend the line.
One thing is break the line at school boy level, when the bigger boy always win, and another thing is to break the line against adults. Taniela Tupou is someone who did it in both levels. A true crash ball, maybe Tepai was only at school boys level

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
One thing is break the line at school boy level, when the bigger boy always win, and another thing is to break the line against adults. Taniela Tupou is someone who did it in both levels. A true crash ball, maybe Tepai was only at school boys level
Not really my point. I'm saying the bully crash ball has a very limited value in the pros in the backs other than a Winger but even then they have a weakness in Defence and being turned around.

TT is a freak but if he was a 12 it wouldn't work. He's effective in close because he has acceleration a tired forward cannot handle. Would he steam roll an opposite 12? yeah, sure a couple times but it would stunt a side as well as gas him out if he kept getting thrown the ball. Even a guy like Nonu only because the great Centre once he developed the Pass & Kick.

Again, right now I really think poaching anyone should be completely on the backburner. We have talent here and if we are looking outside Super Rugby it should be at guys like Isaac Lucas, Jack Maddocks etc.. in overseas Rugby. Then we need to identify and do our best to hold the talent you see in the Super Rugby U16s & U18s competition. There is plenty running around.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
Not really my point. I'm saying the bully crash ball has a very limited value in the pros in the backs other than a Winger but even then they have a weakness in Defence and being turned around.
My point is, Mungoball and Rugby are completely different that you only can get centres, wingers or maybe, just maybe a fullback. The last one cause fullbacks in the NRL are the expensiest players.

Look at the names who shined from League to Union in the last decades: Tuqiri, Sailor, Folau, SBW, Jason Robinson, Chris Ashton, Marika Koroibete, Semi Radradra, Ngani Laumape, Solomone Kata. It doesnt matter if they played Union at school or before. The point is that the good ball carriers in League can shine in Union quickly. As good ball carrier I mean crash balls like Laumape, fast ball carriers like Chris Asthon and strong and fast ball carriers like Marika Koroibete or Izzy Folau

Marce

John Thornett (49)
TT is a freak but if he was a 12 it wouldn't work. He's effective in close because he has acceleration a tired forward cannot handle. Would he steam roll an opposite 12? yeah, sure a couple times but it would stunt a side as well as gas him out if he kept getting thrown the ball.
Mathieu Bastareaud played at the centre in a Tier one national team and he's pretty similar to Taniela:
1000242978.jpg

But I agree, Taniela should improve his stamina and lose some weigh to play at the centre. That's the point, the League forwards are fitter than Union props. Just look Angus Crichton or SBW in the past

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
My point is, Mungoball and Rugby are completely different that you only can get centres, wingers or maybe, just maybe a fullback. The last one cause fullbacks in the NRL are the expensiest players.

Look at the names who shined from League to Union in the last decades: Tuqiri, Sailor, Folau, SBW, Jason Robinson, Chris Ashton, Marika Koroibete, Semi Radradra, Ngani Laumape, Solomone Kata. It doesnt matter if they played Union at school or before. The point is that the good ball carriers in League can shine in Union quickly. As good ball carrier I mean crash balls like Laumape, fast ball carriers like Chris Asthon and strong and fast ball carriers like Marika Koroibete or Izzy Folau
Not one League Prop in that list which is where this started. Burgess, Mason tried and ran around in the backs at stages...
Mathieu Bastareaud played at the centre in a Tier one national team and he's pretty similar to Taniela:

But I agree, Taniela should improve his stamina and lose some weigh to play at the centre. That's the point, the League forwards are fitter than Union props. Just look Angus Crichton or SBW in the past
Agreeing with yourself? I never said he should or would be effective there. I guess you love a big 12. I'd say if you look at the WC final and guys like Barrett and De Allende are more than big enough. Wallabies did alright with Horan in the 12...

Wilson

David Codey (61)
View attachment 18668
Yes, because it's such a waste having a world class tighthead dominating his opposition in the scrum.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Don't we normally get the league props that are getting too big before they turn pro and shift them into the second row in our game (and then off to France)

Marce

John Thornett (49)
Tongan Thor should play 12 you reckon Marce?
I never said that, he's not even a starter THP for me. He should lose some weigh to be a consistenly starter at 3 and if he wants to move to the centre he should be much more fit than now.

He's not even a starter THP in Rebels. I'm sure Talakai have played more minutes than him as the starter 3 this season. So he even can't beat Talakai for the starter spot in Rebels. It's just an example of a big crash ball, he's not my starter THP

Last edited:

Marce

John Thornett (49)
Not one League Prop in that list which is where this started. Burgess, Mason tried and ran around in the backs at stages...
I'm not talking only about NRL props, just good ball carriers, not even just crash balls. And just to mention, I don't like Bastareaud, it's just an example that a big fat player can play at the centre in the highest level of professional rugby

Marce

John Thornett (49)
Yes, because it's such a waste having a world class tighthead dominating his opposition in the scrum.
He's not a starter Wallaby, not even in Rebels. So he's far away of being a top class THP. He should be fitter to avoid injuries

Wilson

David Codey (61)
He's not a starter Wallaby, not even in Rebels. So he's far away of being a top class THP. He should be fitter to avoid injuries
Not as important when you're playing your tight head props for around a half each. There is plenty of evidence of him dominating at the very top level of the game, I don't know why you'd even consider moving him away from tight head prop, a position he is so well suited to.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Ahhh I see where this is heading. We haven't had anyone nail down the 10 spot.. It's because we haven't tried the right cattle

1713756493284.png

10. J. Slipper - Our most experienced player (played 10 as a junior)
12. T Tupou - Our most dynamic player (Has a great offload game)

We would need to select a goal kicker, as I think Slips probably only kicks at 75%

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
He has a career starting rate of 75% in Super Rugby (all formats).

His injuries have been an issue but I don't necessarily think they have been caused by his lack of fitness. Plenty of power athletes have these issues and some more steady types like a James Slipper seem to go through unscathed thankfully. It's almost the cost of the weapon if that makes sense. I would say some of his continuous injuries seem to flow on from poor rehab/S&C which he does have a big effect on but so do coaching staff and I think they wanted him on the field and he wanted to be out there with his team when he should have been rehabbed better.

Anyway this is now off course for this thread which tbh should be pretty quite atm given RAs financial situation and the positive signs some positions in which League offer players that could swap not being in as much demand.